Where should I propose to my girlfriend?

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:57 AM
Rodney

Where should I propose to my girlfriend?

I will be going to Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam,Germany and Switzerland. I was thinking either the Eiffel Tower or on our tour of Moet & Chandon. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Santa Chiara

In Florence on the Ponte Vecchio at dusk. In Piazza San Marco (Venice) at dawn or dusk. Anywhere in Paris at anytime.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Steve James

Rodney - last time someone asked this question, I think the winner was 'on a gondola!' (Have the Moet & Chandon in your rucksack ...) Godd luck!

Steve

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 03:36 AM
EE

Florence is a perfect city to do it but I would skip Ponte Vecchio. This place is always very, very crowded.
Dinner on the top of Eiffel Tower in Le Jules Verne and will be magical.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:15 AM
beth anderson

Hi

Is there any part of your trip she is especially looking forward to? Does she know already this will happen somewhere on the trip? Will you be hiking in either Germany or Switzerland - up in the Alps?

Maybe if there is a way to put the ring in her champagne flute, on the tour. When she goes to take her first sip...

beth

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:17 AM
mia

I like the Eiffel Tower idea-with Paris spread out before you, all the lights twinkling, she will always remember everything about the night you asked her to marry her...

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:40 PM
c

Why not at the painting of Venus rising from the ocean in Florence? What woman wouldn't love to believe she could be that beautiful to a man?

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Grasshopper

A friend of mine's husband proposed in front of Notre Dame. She thought it was spectacular. Personally, if I loved someone enough to marry him, wherever he asked would be magical.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:55 PM
bjorn

Rodney!
Be practical.
Propose on forehand. Then celebrate with a tour. A tour in which she also is a part of. Both of you.
What worse can happen than inviting on a tour with a neglected proposal in return?
My dear advice, Rodney, therefore is: Propose, and on yes make it a joint first magic travel of the world.
Bjorn, Oslo

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Kay

Definitely the gondola!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:36 PM
ja

On bended knee, of course!
ja

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Karen

Venice, on a small secluded canal, on a bench, under a tree, with the moonlight, and a bottle of wine that you've just purchased (take fold-up glass). Or anywhere in Venice.

Or, Paris, on the ferris wheel at the end of the Champs Elysee, with the moonlight, and a bottle of wine. Or, of course, the Eiffel. Or anywhere in Paris.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Rich

Proposed to my lovely bride in the middle of Tower Bridge in London . . it worked!

Best wishes . . Rich

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:10 PM
cdf

Bjorn has a good idea-do it at the very beginning of the trip so the rest of it is more celebratory,and you will not have it on your mind...I like the idea of a park in Paris, she sitting on a bench, you kneeling in front of her, the gardens at the Musee Rodin would be nice, small-private, or make a spectacle of yourself in the Luxembourg Gardens and the French will all cheer you!Good Luck~C

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:31 PM
cccccc

One more vote for Eiffel Tower and Jules Verne at night. Food and vistas are unforgettable.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 10:10 PM
barb

My husband proposed while on a late night boat cruise down the Seine, just as the boat turned, so our view was of the Eiffel tower at night, all lit up. He proposed in French, then pulled out airplane sized bottles of grand marnier, which we drank and threw the bottles into the Seine (although normally I don't litter!). It was very lovely and quite romantic. Anything with a view of the Eiffel tower (or on the Eiffel tower) is a good idea!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 03:32 AM
mom

My son proposed to his now wife in Jules Verne last March. She feels this was the most romantic way any woman may ask for.

Well, Rodney what are ideas now?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Diane

What about just as the plane touches down..."Welcome to beautiful Roma -- nothing could excite me more, unless of course, you would consent to marry me?"

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Jon

Rodney,
I did it in Paris on a bench in Jardin des Tuileries. I had been carrying the ring in my pocket for about 5 days when finally the time seemed right.
My original plan was to ask her on a quay near Pont Neuf, but when we got there she was grumbling about finding somewhere to eat lunch or something and the mood seemed wrong.
I guess my advice is to have a backup plan or two, and to do it as early in the trip as possible. If Rome is your first stop, the Trevi fountain is beautiful at night, as is Piazza Navona after the crowds die down in the evening.
Also, consider a safe place to get the ring through airport security without being revealed.
Congratulations. Have a great trip.
j.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Michael

I would pick the Grand Vefour although the Jules Verne at night would also be good. Follow this up with a stay at the George V. A good alternate would be Venice, perhaps with a stay at the Danielli. The trrace there in the warmer months would be nice. Would not do it on a Gondala though. Would hate to risk losing the ring overboard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO