Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the most un-touristy place you have ever been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:40 PM
x

There are certain places that are spoken about time and time again on this board. Where have you been that you have felt is truly unspoiled & not overrun with tourists?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:47 PM
Anne

I have enjoyed some of the small hamlets in Bavaria. It is fun to hike or bike in parts The Black Forest. I went days w/o seeing all the tourists. Of course there are very touristy areas w/in these places.<BR>Right now I can't remeber specific names of villages, but it was truly enjoyable.<BR>I think if you go off the beaten path away from the areas that are touted on this board and travel books you can really soak up some local culture.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:53 PM
R.

Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, Canada.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Patrick

Basically any place that wasn't worth going to. I overlook the touristy aspect. I figure that anywhere in the world worth visiting has already been discovered. The number of tourists visiting it will be in direct proportion to how worthwhile it is to visit.<BR>Sure I have happened upon some tiny little villages or remote spots that still seemed undiscovered, but there really is no reason for them to become major destinations. They just make for wonderful diversions from the major tourist circuit.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:59 PM
elvira

Rathlin Island, northern Ireland.<BR><BR>The Sahara Desert.<BR><BR>The 17eme and 11eme arrondissements in Paris.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Ellen

Patrick's right -- there are plenty of places that are unspoiled because they're not worth gong to. <BR><BR>I used to have to travel all over the US, evaluating School Lunch Programs that had been chosen at random. There's nothing like being the only guest in a DelMarVa resort hotel during January! Unless it's staying in a motel twenty miles away from the town I'm working in, cuz that's the closest place. <BR><BR>I'd have to say that rural West Virginia was the most beautiful and least tourist-y, and the least visited by any aspect of the outside world. Sorry this isn't about sites in Europe, but I'm sure there are equivalents.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:25 PM
Diane

Hong Kong once out of the ritzy part. We obviously were outsiders and people stared at us. It was just what we were looking for.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Sue

In a rented gite a couple k. from Gordes (touristy, of course); no close neighbors, overlooking a poppy field; the gite, "typique de Provence", as they said, was surrounded by olives trees. We could smell fresh herbs as we drank our morning coffee on the patio, out of bowls, of course!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:06 PM
carol

San Salvatore di Fitalia, Sicily

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:14 PM
Barbara

A small fisherman's village in the north eastern part of Barzil. the village is called Pipa. The last time I was theer(over 5years ago) the only people that traveled to Pipa were the fisherman and Brazilian's on holiday. I've traveled to many different beaches over the years and i still believe Pipa and the beaches of North Eastern Brazil are the most beautiful in the world.<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:42 AM
jw

Sue, you're breaking my heart. Tell us more about your gite and can't you give us a tiny little clue about which one it was and how to rent it? Guess that would be foolish. alas.<BR><BR>For what it's worth, I've found these little towns to be unspoiled and quiet places to come back to at night while visiting the more important destinations nearby: Harburg (just north of Munich), Leissigen (Lake Thun, Switz.), Gerra-Gambarogno (Lago Maggiore), Dambach-la-ville (Alsace), Bulach (near Zurich flughafen), and Rivaz on Lac Leman. I travel in June, so I don't know what they are like at other times. I suppose you were really asking for destinations waaaaay off the beaten track. How about anyplace in southwestern Louisiana, bayous, food, old stuff. But get there quick; it's heating up. J.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:44 AM
xxx

One of the most beautiful and untouristy places in Europe used to be the Cinque Terre, at least the southern four of the villages. Then a guy named Rick Steeves "discovered" it and touted it all over the place. It no longer is untouristy.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:57 AM
xxx

Hawick in Scotland, it's absolutely beautiful!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:59 AM
ooo

Hey, xxx, why did you make two separate posts instead of just combining them into one?<BR>The first point you made was a good one. Any place that is wonderful gets discovered and soon is not untourisy any longer.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:04 AM
xxx

We're different people I'm the one who has never been to Cinque terre. Didn't you know xxx is a popular name!!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Statia

Saba in the Dutch West Indies. A definite gem, a step back in time, which not too many people know about.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:24 AM
traveler

Poor Patrick. He's missing a lot.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:28 AM
elina

Barbara! I am sorry to tell you that there have been charter package tours from Finland and Sweden to Pipa, Brazil for at least two years now.<BR><BR>I have been to many places in Europe, Asia and Africa that are truly unspoiled and very much worth a visit or even a longer stay. But then those visits are not for sightseeing, they are for breathing slowly and savouring the atmosphere. <BR><BR>But it is true that often touristy places are touristy because they are really worth seeing. I remember reading one question about Egypt. The person asked about places worth seeing there but thought that she will just skip "pyramids and temples and other touristy stuff".

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Sue

My grandparents house. I understand why my dad left.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Sjoerd

Mongolia. A country the size of half of Europe, and 2.5 million people. "Tourist season" is June - September. (total number of tourists about 50,000 per year for the whole country) I visited two weeks ago; the country was "empty".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -