Where is Greve

Sep 25th, 1998, 10:02 AM
Sandy

Where is Greve

I read this forum evertday (shoot, I read each of Fodor's forums everyday), these are the best forums on the web (and you people give the best advice) . . . several of you have written about not missing Greve . . . where is it? I've looked in several of my guidebooks and it's not listed. A friend and I will be staying in Florence and taking daytrips from there, can we get there on the bus/train? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sep 25th, 1998, 11:37 AM
dan

Greve-in-Chianti is about 55 minutes from Florence by bus. They have a web site complete with bus schedule. It is also accessible from Siena.

Sep 25th, 1998, 12:59 PM
Sandy

Thanks Dan. I just looked up the website and it's great! I found they are having an antiques fair (Sun, Oct 11), now I absolutely have to go. Happy traveling!

Sep 25th, 1998, 03:39 PM
Jennifer

Sandy, the Saturday morning market in Greve is alot of fun. I imagine the antique market is held in or near the same Piazza. The locals really turnout for the markets. Everything from clothing to cheese, wild live game and seeds are represented. You will have a great time. (Wasn't too impressed with the restaurants on this Piazza - service was rather poor.)

Have fun!

Sep 25th, 1998, 04:34 PM
kam

Sep 25th, 1998, 04:40 PM
kam

Greve is a small town that gets an awful lot of tourist traffic during the high season. Perhaps that's why the service was off. You can also go to Il Vescovino in nearby Panzano where you can eat outside and look at the Tuscan hills if it's a nice day. The restaurant at Lorenza de Medici's Badia A Coltibuono (near Radda) is super--a typical Tuscan grill with wonderful roasted meats and great fresh ingredients. Hope these work.

Sep 25th, 1998, 05:21 PM
Tom Townsend

Greve in Chinati is about a 30 minute drive from Florence if you have a car.
Why bother with a car ? Becuase you can stob and enjoy the scenery. Try calling in advance and make a reservation to visit the Vinzzano Castle Winery. It will cost you around 40,000 Lira for a guided tour, lunch and wine tasting. The host is gentleman who speaks fluent english, German, Italian and a little dutch.
Be sure to tell him that I sent you !
This was the highlight to our florence trip.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 09:39 AM
Topper

For Colyn.

Search this Thread