Where in Umbria to base for 2 weeks?

Sep 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Where in Umbria to base for 2 weeks?

I am in the process of planning our 2009 trip. We originally thought we would spend 1 week at Lake Como, 1 week in Umbria, and 1 week in Rome. After much research we have decided to slow things down a bit. We are putting Lake Como off for another trip. So, now we are looking for a 2 week rental in Umbria. We really like to do an "every other day" type of sightseeing. That means that every other day we take a day trip. The other days we spend looking around the area we are staying in.

I am undecided about where to base in Umbria. I have looked at Orvieto, Spoleto, Todi, and Assisi. One factor I have to keep in mind is that this will be at the end of February. I'm thinking that Orivieto will have more open and going on than other towns. Is this correct?

I would appreciate any input on which town would be better for a February visit and any vacation rentals you think would work for a two week stay.

As always, thanks for your help. This forum is essential for vacation planning!
Sep 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that this is for just myself and my husband. We are seniors but still pretty active. Our price range is 700 euro per week or less on the rental. We will have a rental car and have driven in Italy on a number of occasions.
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM

First, I think you are smart for dropping Lake Como from your trip in February. Lake Como is best visited in warmer months.

I have found that the area around Bevagna and Montefalco is beautiful and very central for day trips in Umbria. Spoleto, Assisi, Spello, Perugia, Todi, and Trevi are all within 30 minutes of Bevagna. Orvieto, Gubbio, Norcia and Cortona are all reasonable day trips.

I enjoy staying at the agriturismo Le Case Gialle, located 10 minutes outside of Bevagna.

http://www.lecasegialle.com/

Enjoy your trip!
Sep 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM

I just came back from Montefalco and I enjoyed very much the residence SUBRETIA, located close to Montefalco in the hamlet named Fabbri.
I was there 5 days.
It is the website: www.subretia.com.
If you go there, ask for the room number 11, named LA CASETTA !

Vincenzo
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM

Another vote here for Le Case Gialle where we stayed last summer. Bevagna was our favorite town that we visited.
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Hello,

You can consider staying in Bevagna or Assisi. Check out these vacation homes in various locations in Umbria.You might find something of your interest.

http://www.surftoskiretreats.com/Vac...s/Italy/Umbria

Have a great trip!
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
DRJ

My wife and I have stayed with Mauro and Silvana at Le Case Gialle a half dozen times over the past ten years or so. When you know the back roads Bevagna is fifteen minutes away. And Bevagna and Montefalco are food and wine musts.

I think if you click on my initials you can get several relatively long dissertations regarding restaurants in the area.

BTW, another fine place is Albergo Rosati, a few km south of Orvieto. A handsome place and the dinner is not over until all the wine and grappa is gone. Usually twenty or so diners including neighbors. A truly lively group.

Anyway, IMO, there's no place like Umbria. You'll love it.
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM

For February, I would get some guarantees about heating in your accommodations.

From what you've described, you'll be spending a full 7 days in your base location, and day-tripping the other 7 days. My choice would be Perugia for a 2-week base in cold weather (although bear in mind, you will be walking a lot of stairs), but possibly Assisi or Spoleto, depending on what kind of cultural activities you prefer. I don't know that any other towns would provide you with 7 days of interesting things to do -- certainly not Montefalco, which is lovely, but is tiny. I've also gotten the impression that Bevagna is quite small, and that some of the places mentioned here are in the countryside, not in towns.

Anyway, I'm not clear from your post if you mean that every other day you would prefer not to get in a car at all, or whether you mean that when you take a day trip, you mean a big drive, but otherwise you'd rather only drive a short distances to do sightseeing.

And I'm just going to toss this out there: For February, I would consider a trip to Emilia-Romagna, basing myself in either Ferrara or Bologna, and taking trains every other day to Parma, Ravenna, Modena, Cremona, Firenze, etc.

Jan 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM

I love walking the streets and climbing the stairs of Perugia. It's a mystical place. The college students will be there in February. The city will have much life. Perugia's my favorite Umbrian base. I also adore Assisi but the views from Perugia are more dramatic. There are some great restaurants in Perugia.
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM

In February I would choose Assisi--but I have never been to Perugia, so perhaps it has more to offer.

Have fun. Sounds like a great trip!
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM

granbury:

I'm in synch with NYCTS (NYTravel snob)...Perugia ia a great place to base yourselves...parking in one of the several garages (we liked "Partizana Garage"), you can get on the road quite quickly for each day trip...and we've stayed at The Hotel Fortuna...excellent location on the "top deck"..where the pedestrian square and Corso Vanucci are located...and you don't have to worry about getting heat to an apartment. The views of the city are magnificent. In effect, coming back to Perugia after a day of driving to the many other sights, is like coming home for a nice evening...but there is real life on the "top deck" in the later evening as you stroll..and whle we like Montefalco, Spoleto and Bevagna, for example, kind of too quiet at night...and NYCT is correct...a city full of good resto choices.

stu T.
p.s. There is a rather remarkable system of escalators and elevators that whisk you up and town all levels.

Jan 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

I can also recommend time in Perugia -- lively, great passagiato, Etruscan artifacts, shops, VIEWS, and on Saturdays, a kind of outdoor market with Deruta style pottery. I loved Assissi, but were I to select a place for a weeklong stay it would be Perugia. And I didn't even get to the chocolate.
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM

I know that Hotel Rosalba in Perugia also has a small apartment in addition to its inexpensive hotel right at the entrance to an escalator, and not far from parking. I don't know the cost of the apartment and how often it is available.

http://www.hotelrosalba.com/dove_siamo2.html

Perugia's escalators do not take you everywhere in town (although there are also buses and taxis). If you have mobility problems (something beyond just being a bit out of shape), you need to be selective about where you stay in Umbria, including Perugia.
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great replies. I seriously considered Perugia, even had an apartment picked out there. But my mobility factor is huge. I am recovering from knee replacement and stairs are still a bit of a challenge for me.

I have decided on an apartment in Orvieto. I can walk just fine, and I can do hills and stairs, just not too many. I have even found a local car rental company where I can rent a car if and when I need it, just for the day. Their price of 35 euro per day includes insurance and unlimited mileage.

I can tell you that I was very torn between Oriveto and Le Case Gialle. But we decided that we really wanted a city location. We are spending two weeks in Orvieto. I want to get to know it well. I'm not necessarily looking for touurist attractions as I am looking to just settle in and experience the place I'm in.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. It is always appreciated more than you know.
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Granbury, please report back after your trip. I would love to hear about your experience in Orvieto. My husband and I have to travel in off season so it will be valuable to know what it is like. Thank you.
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:20 AM

granbury,

As you go about researching your possible day trips, consider forays into Lazio as well as Umbria, since Lazio is so close, with good road connections, and has several flat places of interest. One place you might explore is Civita Castellana, with its fine church and fascinating small but well regarded and rewarding Etruscan museum, and you might consider the spa town of Saturnia and other thermal hot spring destinations as a treat for those knees.
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:32 AM
DRJ

Do not, under any circumstance, miss dining at I Sette Consoli in Orvieto. Just about my favorite in all of Italy.
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Orvieto sounds great -- it's on my list for my next trip. Hope it's a terrific trip!
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

bfrac - I absolutely will report back on my Orvieto trip. We love to travel in off season.

zeppole - I plan to visit Lazio. I had not considered Civita Castellana but now it is on my list. I have been to the Saturnia hot springs but you are right...maybe some time at their spa would really be good for the knee.

DRJ - I Sette Consoli has been #1 on my list from the beginning. I can't wait!

annw - thanks for your kind words. Maybe my trip report will help you on your next trip to Orvieto.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Where in Umbria do you want to visit? Have you looked at a map? Orvieto is on the western edge of Umbria. It's not a very big town, nothing like Perugia. And it's up on top of a mesa. For every excursion you'll have to get down off the mesa and get back up on the way back. The drive up is OK, but I think it would get tedious to do 7 times in 2 weeks.

I'm not overwhelming fond of Orvieto (can you tell?) unlike others here. I think driving by it on the autostrada is amazing, but that's its best.

However, in bad weather you could go visit the Etruscan caves.

We really liked Bavagna also -- to the point of not wanting to tell others about it. But it's very small and probably quiet in the winter. It's on the flat, easy to drive in and out of and to walk around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO