Where in southern Spain?

Search

Where in southern Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in southern Spain?

My better half & myself have booked our 1st trip to Morocco, flying there Dec 22. After doing a few Moroccan things, we plan to get the train to Tangier, boat to Algeciras, train to Madrid. I have already booked night train from Madrid on Weds 5th Jan at 7pm, & we plan to go by rail & sea to get home to Ireland. We've never been to southern Spain. The cheapest option would be to buy an advance fare for through train from Algeciras to Madrid, and maybe spend a day or 2 in Madrid, or even in Algeciras if we arrive there early. But given maybe 2 days, where in southern Spain would be good to visit or stay? We'll probably be laden with luggage including stuff we may buy in Morocco! We prefer train, but would use a bus on a shorter journey. Cordoba? Seville? Ronda?
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:18 AM

I have been to Seville and Granada and loved both.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Before booking ahead trains from Algeciras to Madrid have in mind that if weather and sea are rough, ferries from Morocco may be delayed. I think it is wiser to plan staying in the south.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you go to Granada, prepare for it to be cold - we went in November and all the shops were full of fur coats!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Granada has the Alhambra which is simply the very best piece of Moorish architecture in Southern Spain. Reserve your timed tickets ahead via the Alhambra's website.

Sevilla is a historic city with a grand cathedral. It is, however, heavily touristified and had lost lots of historical charm. The Jewish quarter is full of tourist restaurants, souvenir shops and T-shirt sellers.

Cordoba has IMO the even more spectacular cathedral, the Mezquita de Córdoba, which is a cathedral built within a former mosque. The Jewish quarter has retained much of its historic authenticity.

In order the get some historical spirit, I also recommend Carmona, which is between Sevilla and Cordoba. You will see an almost unspoilt old town and another great cathedral.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sevilla is a historic city with a grand cathedral. It is, however, heavily touristified and had lost lots of historical charm. >>

I don't want to pick a fight with you, echnaton, but when we were in Seville in september, it was far easier to get round the alcazar then it had been to see and enjoy the alhambra in November a couple of years ago. I agree that the town itself is busy, but we didn't find it unbearably so, whereas the alhambra was almost impossible to enjoy due to the crowds, apart from the night-time visit, which was much better.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Sevilla is something special, only the Santa Cruz area is heavily touristy. I would recommend to visit the areas west and north of the Cathedral. Arenal with plenty of good bars, restaurants and excellent atmosphere. The same can be said of the San Lorenzo district 20 mins walk north of the Cathedral. I can also recommend the Alameda and Macarena districts even further north.

And you should definitely go to the other side of the river, to Triana, one of the cradles of flamenco. Great bars, tapas and clubs along the Calle Betis by the river. Get a feel of flamenco/sevillanas at extremely popular Casa Anselma in Calle Pagés del Corro, 49.
http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...fe-detail.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw1atBQq_u0
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips so far ... I just had a bereavement & haven't been in a holiday mood for a few days, so haven't checked comments until now. Josele, please don't get me worried about rough seas...! The Alhambra looks wonderful, but I'm not sure if we'll be that keen to visit it just after spending 12 days in Morocco. (Any comments on this point?) I must get back to check the renfe site to see what's feasible.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM

I haven't been everywhere in Morroco but the Alhambra was more beautiful and impressive than anything I saw in Morroco. I believe it represents the height of Moorish culture.