Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Italy should my daugher and I go July 12th to 20th in Italy to relax and be able to take day trips.

Search

Where in Italy should my daugher and I go July 12th to 20th in Italy to relax and be able to take day trips.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Italy should my daughter and I go July 12th to the 20th to relax and be able to take day trips. I don't want to drive! She just wants to unwind after 5 months travelling in Australia and Europe.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM

depends on what you like - water, ruins, small towns, big cities? Just returned from Positano and we certainly relaxed there. Took day trips to Capri, Amalfi (boat), Pompei (drove). Some of the hill towns, or Chianti area are lovely but you would have to drive to get to them.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
spiritgirl

I suggest staying in Florence. It is a lovely town with lots to see. Plenty of piazzas, museums, and great shopping. Also, with a train station that hosts many of the faster trains many day trips are possible-Venice, Cinque Terre, and Pisa to name a few.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM

If this is your first trip stay in Rome and go on day trips to Florence and Pompii... it is doable. Emily and I did this on our first trip. We even did this during a rail strike. Go to my web site for an agenda of our Rome trips and Pictures. EmilyandJim.info search on Yahoo. I envy You. Have fun.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Is this question for real? How are you going to be in France outside Paris (per your other thread) and Italy on the same days?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Well,Susan P., that is a good question!! haha Here is the answer- I have two posts...one about travel in Italy and one about travel in France because we can actually go anywhere in Europe! This is my first time posting and I thought I'd get ideas on both areas...maybe I should have done a generic type post, but I think we want to stay in Italy or France. We've been on a lot of cruises and trips, so we've hit many of the major cities, but we were looking for a quiet area where we could hop on a train and do some day trips. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear initially! My bad! But you guys already have some great ideas already! Thanks! Please continue the input, especially if you know some easily accessible small towns in France, Italy, or Anywhere!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Just for future reference, it would be good to tell people that you're considering two totally different areas. That way you can get comparisons from people who have been to both, and if you decide early on which place to go to, people don't waste time answering questions about a place you don't plan to visit.

Tuscany is perfect for the kind of location you want with plenty of options for daytrips, but to do very many it would be better to have a car. Siena would probably have the most bus or train connections to other towns.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Sunshine,

8 days of relaxing in July? I would choose between 3 options,

Amalfi Coast
Lakes
Tuscany or Umbria (must have car)

Lots of relaxing to do at all three, but plenty of nearby day trips too.

Florence in July is not my idea of relaxing. Hot, crowded, noisy IMO.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM

i just cannot believe given the internet PLUS rand mcnally you have to ask where to go..... unbelievable.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I have been on and off the internet for a few days researching and "looking around." There are so many options, that I thought I would ask for some ideas from other travelers. Sometimes you can't tell quickly what a city is like or what it offers by just reading a blurp about it. And I don't have much time to plan as I just found out I can meet my daughter in Europe next month. I was hoping to get some good info on this forum which would help and also speed up the process. And as this is my first time on it, I don't really know how it works, therefore, my two posts. All we would really like is a small town near transportation (we don't want to drive) so we can relax there and take a few day trips. I know Paris, Rome,London, etc., but not the smaller towns. We would be interested in an area near the Paris airport, near Rome, Prague, or would Seville be a good choice? I hope I haven't irritated some of you with my dilemma and I certainly appreciate those who have replied with suggestions...I will certainly consider those and continue my search on the internet! Thank you so much!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Sunshine,

I think you need to narrow it down to WHICH country you are actually interested in visiting. Then ask for more advice. Each time you post you add more countries!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Some of you are a little hard on this woman for her questions. Give her some slack.

As for Rome - it is not my idea of a place to relax. It is busy, noisy and crowded and hot in the summer - it was hot in May!. Oriveto is close to Rome and I'm pretty sure they have train connections and bus for any day trips. I'm sure I've seen a Rick Steve's show on it. I suggest if you have the time to go to one of the large book stores and look at some of the great travel books on Italy or France since you are considering both. Rick Steve's has great tips and talks alot about transportation as he doesn't drive in Europe but takes the train and buses. Good luck.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Sunshine48

Welcome to Fodors!

Just so you know this is a long time established forum and I think the people who have responded to you are just doing their "duty" wisely to direct you how to use this forum effectively.

Just try and do some preliminary research on your own, make some more narrowed down choices and then we are all in a better postion to assist you.

You might notice as you peruse this site that one of the biggest 'irritants" to long time posters are very general questions such as "Where should I go". It puts fodorites almost in a position as acting as your travel agent, which none of us really wish to do.

With that said, your posts are very gracious and I am sure once you get the small hang of it here, you'll reap the benefits of so many posters who have extensive knowledge.

With that said, for Italy, I would second the votes for Amalfi Coast or spend time up north in the Lake Como area. While my favorite city in italy is Florence, it is not the most relaxing at the time you wish to go.

Perhaps if you gave even further ideas of what you like to do. Relaxing is a rather broad statement ( but I certainly get your idea!) for soem people relaxing means lots of shopping ( that me!) and for some its just drinking wine from their hotels balcony and strolling a small town with no particular historical sites to see.

Again, welcome to Fodors and just try to do a little research on your own and then come back with some more questions that we can then help you pare it all down!

I'm sure just being with your lovely daughter will be enough in of itself!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perugia! One of those "Goldilocks" towns: not too big, not too little, just right. Great rail and bus transportation throughout a large part of Umbria and a smaller area of Tuscany. Great food, nice views and ... chocolate!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM

I would recommend Siena for your stay. I love it for it's smaller size (compared to Florence), it's dark alleys and big open Campo. The tower is awesome to climb and the views and surrouding countryside are breathtaking.

Siena is smaller then Florence but still tons to offer on it's own, and it also has a good bus and train system to get to other small towns throughout Tuscany.

You can visit Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimingnano, etc., etc. from Siena so you would easily fill up your days.

I hope you narrow your search down soon b/c July is approaching fast!

FYI - I agree with Travelgirl's post - the posters on this board are SO full of information - I hope you'll continue to post as you narrow down your choices and start the real planning!

Cheers
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Stay at Hotel des Bains on the Lido near Venice - Easy day trips into Venice and other islands. You'll have your choice of sightseeing, culture or relaxing on the beach.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH...there are about 5 cities you all have mentioned that I will research now...that really helps narrow the internet searching for me...as I mentioned I am new on this site and am getting the picture as to what this forum is all about and how to use it...I guess I jumped right in without changing into my bathing suit!
Those old timers on here, thanks for helping out the new kid (altho I am a Grandma haha) in town! I appreciate the advice AND info and will continue my learning curve.
Off to do some research. Thanks again!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM

sunshine,

You sound just like the kind of poster we like at Fodors; willing to accept how to post and now you are off in your research. And thanks for posting back, letting us know you saw the feedback we gave you; all too often people post and then they are never heard from again. Fodorites give willingly, but it is also another "irritant" when you've spent time giving someone advice to never hear from them again. So you are off to a very good start!

Let us know what you come up with and then we'll help you some more!!

Just as an addition, I realized my post did not give you detailed ideas: I would personally take time off from historical sites as it seems from your post that your daughter will have had her fill, no?

If so and you just want quality time with each other in a beautiful setting and you are more committed to just soaking in atmosphere, I'd head to the Amalfi Coast.

You could do it like this: Fly to Naples and then ferry to Capri. Spend maybe 2-3 nights in Capri and just enjoy this beautiful island. The summer gets crowded, but its alot of day trippers and then nightime it is magical. During the day, avoid the throngs of tourists by escaping up to Anacapri the other town that while popular, probably won't be as crowded. Here you can enjoy an al fresco lunch, wander the streets, enjoy the old villas, etc. Then come down at dusk and enjoy Capri town sans the overload of tourists. You can sun bathe, shop, etc.

in your research you might also see that there are two other islands in this grouping: Procida and Ischia. These are smaller and reportedly less touristy than Capri. I have not been, but I am offering you these up as something you might want to research. I love a little busier place, so Capri suited us really well.

Then take a ferry over to Positano and lodge here for the remainder of your stay. Perhaps you can book an apt ( I am not an expert on apt renting, although I know there are other who are, I'm a hotel gal). Then from Positano you can take day trips to Amalfi and Ravello and Sorrento. If you really want an escape and are content with not moving around much, then you can also lodge in Ravello; higher in the mountains than most of the other towns, Ravello is sublime. In any event, do try to make it here for the gardens. another town that Fodorites like is Praino ( partuclarly Ira). I only passed through it, but it is indeed a cute, quiet town as well.

Have fun with your research
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

WOW, Tripgirl!!! You have given me sooo many great ideas! Priceless! Thanks! I am going to sit down tonight after the debates and look carefully at your suggestions. I will be back online later or tomorrow! Oh, I think I will copy and email your suggestions to my daughter. They seem to cover some other suggestions made by others on this forum. My friend who lives in Prague emailed me today and said we could also go there and stay with her, which is tempting not to have hotel costs. But I have never been to Prague and have no idea what it's like in the summer. I will have to email her back and see what she suggests. Also, I can now give my daughter a choice of a schedule like you recommended or go to Prague and stay with my college buddy! Have a good evening!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I liked Prague very much, but it has become quite the touristy town! But in a good way, it really is lovely.
July is apt to be busy.

However IT IS not the Amalfi Coast and as long as you were thinking about Italy, the AC is divine beyond words.

Prague is historical, the cobblestoned streets are charming, the people are lovely, but it is entirely a different ballgame as compared to Italy.

The idea of not having to spend money is nice though.. the decision of course is your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -