Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe did you feel U were getting stares?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
zoe

This question is not mean to be offensive but have you gone to a city where you felt people stare too much? For me it was Nice in France. I felt so comfotable because I noticed the people there stare alot.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:10 PM
hmm

did you have a breast exposed? They never stared at me, and I have been there several times. Though I am very glamorous looking(I am told) there are too many others also. They do not stare at blacks or orientals also, so are you not telling us something?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:12 PM
justme

In a post office in Wales. We're fairly tall people and we towered over everyone else in line. Every time I looked around people were staring, but it was not unfriendly.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:20 PM
anon

After completing a foreign study program, I travelled alone briefly through Europe when I was 20. I was tanned and blond and found myself turning the heads of Mediterranean men. A smolderingly gorgious Italian in uniform stared at me on the train from Brindisi to Rome. I was melting in his gaze and I met his eyes. Alas, I showed my American naivity and embarrasment by laughing. He responded by throwing his very cool cigarette into the aisle, grinding it into the floor, and walking out of the car, a look of disgust on his face. <BR><BR>And that is the story of my European affair 30 years ago.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:30 PM
starspinners

Anon, your story made me smile. Let's pretend that after the smoldering- georgeous- (and sneering) Italian stomped off in disgust he went home to a clothesline full of wet nappies and 4 crying babies.. the cad. &lt;grin&gt;

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
GB

On the Metro in Paris. I just stood there and told myself, they are staring because I look like a movie star. It was hard, but I did it! <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Shrink

Um....www.paranoia.com?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:49 PM
lm

The metro in Paris. I thought I had grown a 3rd eye on my forehead or something but I later learned from other travelers that everyone gets stared at on the metro. If you stare back at them they will look away.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Ira

anon wrote,<BR><BR>&gt;After completing a foreign study program, I travelled alone briefly through Europe ...A smolderingly gorgious Italian in uniform stared at me ....<BR><BR>And that is the story of my European affair 30 years ago.&lt;<BR> <BR> Good for you. He realized that you knew that he was a jerk.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:59 PM
Ira

Many, many, many years ago in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle. Children stared at me because I was the first foreigner they had seen. Their mother's told them how rude they were being.<BR><BR>After standing a few rounds at the local pub, I discovered that the Finns are not standoffish, just shy.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Ira

Many, many, many years ago in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle. Children stared at me because I was the first foreigner they had seen. Their mothers told them how rude they were being.<BR><BR>After standing a few rounds at the local pub, I discovered that the Finns are not standoffish, just shy.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
Lucy

..It was 12 years ago in the Guangzou (sp?) province of China - they were just curious given there weren't too many tourists around then!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
Marilyn

About 30 years ago in several small towns in rural Romania and Yugoslavia. I can't say they had never seen young American backpackers, but they certainly weren't a common sight. We were actually followed around by young people who wanted to practice their English and just have some contact with such exotic creatures.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:54 PM
Julie

Only recall being stared at one time in Rome when I was much younger and travelling with another woman (and it was more than stares!)<BR><BR>Otherwise, no place in Europe. I lived in Thailand for a year and was constantly stared at as well as when I was travelling throughout Asia, but in Europe I've had people come up to me and ask for directions in French, German, Spainish, and Italian...wish I could answer them all!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
xxx

I think people stare at each other in subways-it passes the time for many. I doubt they mean anything bad.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
xxxx

Germany!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
gettin'

What's a downer is when they've not only stopped staring, they've stopped even noticing you are there!<BR><BR>'nuther 50 yr old

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
xxx

For me it was in London. <BR>Everytime I blew my noses, people would stare.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:30 PM
Iknowwhy

That is because mutant etiquette in London is to blow one nose at a time.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:14 PM
xxx

Try traveling back to my small hometown in Pennsylvania. It's like everyone knew I was from somewhere different!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -