Reload this Page >

Where do I stay in Rome?

Search

Where do I stay in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:27 AM
Katie

Where do I stay in Rome?

My friend and I are travelling to Rome mid-November. So far finding a hotel has not been hard, there are sales everywhere...but, having never been there, what's the best area to stay in for 2 females travelling alone? Can anyone recommend accomodations under $100/night and a "safer" area?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:34 AM
Vita

Katie, I stayed at Pensione Panda (www.hotelpandaparadise.com) about 5 minutes walk from the Spanish Steps. My single (no bath) was L80.000, so I'm sure a double would fit your budget. Some rooms do have a bath. I loved this place and raved about it in my trip report. The rooms are small but very clean. I was travelling alone and felt perfectly safe.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Katie

Vita, thanks, I'll check out the website.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:40 AM
GAC

There are not any particularly "dangerous" areas in central Rome. Nevertheless, I would avoid the areas around the Termini train station (particularly to the southwest), unless you need a place to stay for one night and have an early morning train to catch. I personally enjoy staying in the Renaissance part of the city, which is in the vicinity of Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. You can walk to the Vatican in 20 minutes, and to Piazza Venezia in 5. This area is very lively, has numerous good restaurants and cafes, and is close to important historical monuments and churches. For around $100 per night (or less) I would look at two-star hotels such as the Hotel Smeraldo on Vicolo dei Chiodaroli (intersection Via dei Chiavari), near the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle (Tosca's church!). Very clean, fairly quiet, great location, all rooms with en-suite facilities. On the Via del Corso, near Piazza San Silvestro, the Pensione Parlamento is highly regarded, though the area is very noisy. It is kitty-corner from Palazzo Chigi (Prime Minister) and Palazzo di Montecitorio (Italian Parliament). Gobs of police presence here, day and night. This is not far from Piazza Trinita' dei Monti and the Spanish Steps.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Gerry

$100 a night(for 2) doesn't usually get you much in Rome. If you raise your budgeted price to say $110 to $140 a lot more options will open up. You will get much better hotels. In November prices should be at least 20% less that higher season prices. <BR>Stay in the cento-storico(Spanish steps, Piazza Navona, Piazza Barbarini, Pantheon) area. Avoid termini(not the prettiest) area and Vatican area(too far away). <BR>One hotel that comes to mind in your price range that comes to mind is San Panteleo. But, there are a lot of good choices in a slightly higher price range. And, they may come down to your price due to the season and "sales". Anywhere in cento storico is safe.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
elaine

Katie <BR>I just got back myself, and I was there as a woman on her own. <BR>I stayed around the corner from the Pantheon at the Santa Chiara, which is a little out of your price range. But the area around the Pantheon, and nearby Piazza Navona is an excellent location. <BR>I'm not familiar with the hotel Semeraldo, but since it is near the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle, that location is again not far from Piazza Navona, and very central.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:55 AM
Peter

The typical Roman hotel in the historic part of Rome is quite disapointing. Sound Proofing- forget about it. Sleepless nights due to sounds of doors slamming all night and talking in the hall- for sure. Small rooms with single beds- yes. <BR> <BR>I would stick with an American chain spot like the Sheraton. They have hourly free shuttles to the old part of Rome (takes 20 minutes). I would recomend the Sheraton Roma.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Gerry

Peter: <BR>Sorry for your bad experiences. I found that there are some excellent and quiet hotels in cento storico. Very atmospheric and very convenient to the sights. Where else can you stay in a 16th century palace and get a unique experience? The Sheraton is both inconvenient and out of Katie's price range. And why would I want to go to Italy to stay at an American hotel? I don't have to leave town to do that.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
mjs

I'd rather bring my earplugs and stay in the centro storico.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
Capo

Hi Katie. If you'd like budget accomodations in a great area, I'd second Vita's recommendation of the Pensione Panda. We stayed there this past March for four nights and, while there were tradeoffs -- like a <I>very</I> room -- the location, right on the wonderful Via della Croce, and the price ($60-$70 for a double) made for a very good value. <BR> <BR>However, if you're finding that hotels are having sales, you might be able to find a room in a nicer hotel with an equally good location for a bit more money. Good luck!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Capo

Ooops, that should be a <I>very</I> small room.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:00 AM
Susan

Wonderful, quaint, affordable, roomy, great location 1 block from P.Navonna is Hotel Primavera. Margo Classe recommended it in her book, Hello Italy. We loved Mrs. Sena and her lovely hotel. (marble floors, roomy, new bathrooms, comfy beds.)

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:38 PM
Jan

Hi Katie, <BR> <BR>One thing that I thought might help you in your search is that I have found that most hotels in Italy (not the big chain-hotels) are willing to bargain a little with you on the price. <BR> <BR>Also, since you're going in November, I would suggest contacting the hotels that are in the $120-150 price range, and then seeing if you can bargain them down to more of what your price is. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Hotel Ranieri, which is closer to the Borghese Gardnes side, but when I told them that another hotel around the corner had quoted a lower rate, they were willing to match it. <BR> <BR>The room was sound-proofed, although the rooms themselves were pretty standard looking hotel rooms. Bathrooms modern, helpful staff. It's a busy area during the day, due to being in front of a gov't office building, but at night, it's actually pretty quiet. <BR>They are located on 21 Via Septembre. Sorry I don't have the number at the moment.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:50 PM
ColleenK

I second Susan's suggestion of the Hotel Primavera- Fabulous, comfortable , affordable hotel in a great location-wouldn't stay anywhere else in Rome!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:54 AM

Hotel Rex on Via Torino ... check it out it is wonderful 4 star with great rooms and good location. Very nice hotel

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:05 AM
iloverome

Colleen/Susan: Do either of you have a website address for the Primavera? Or any other contact information? Thanks.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Surlok

iloverome , <BR> <BR>Here is a web site with info and a review about hotel Primavera. <BR> <BR>http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/listi.../primavera.asp <BR> <BR>I hope it helps, <BR> <BR>regards, <BR> <BR>S

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:40 AM
iloverome

Surlok: Thanks for the URL. I had actually since that page when I did a search on the internet for the Primavera. I was just curious if the Hotel had a website or email address. If they don't, then I guess I'll use the safer bet and call them! Thanks.