Reload this Page >

Where do I go to get a passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:34 AM
anonymous

I know this is a stupid question that I should probably know the answer to (which is why I am remaining anonymous) but I really am not sure where to go for my passport. I am going to Italy in August and I live in Detroit. How long does it take to get one? I've never been outside the US other than for a cruise (or to Canada) and I didn't need a passport for that. <BR> <BR>Please only post to seriously help me, not make fun of me. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:35 AM
barbara

Go to your post office NOW and get started. You need a birth certificate with a raised seal.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Ed

All you ever wanted to know about passports may be found at <BR>http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:59 AM
hmh

You can download the form for passports from the government site. We got ours by mail, since we were only renewing. I am not sure if you can do that if it is a first passport. But having the forms and information would be helpful no matter how you get your passport. You need two picture of a "certain" size, which your travel agent will probably take with a Poloroid camera. They wont be wonderful but with the security covering over the pic on the passport, it won't matter. Be sure to make several copies of the first page of your passport and carry them in places other than with your passport.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Meg

Anon, <BR> <BR>Almost any camera store will take passport photos for you. You need to have a couple sets, as the government keeps one on file and one goes on your passport. Just go to a camera store and ask, they do them all the time.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:08 AM
sandy

I filled out and turned in my paperwork at the County Clerk's office. You will have to get your pictures taken ahead of time, which you turn in with the forms. Any photo shop or grocery store with a photo department will take 2 "passport photos" for about $6. I read once something like "if you look like your passport photo you're too ill to travel and should stay home". <BR> <BR>The other posts are correct; bring a copy of your birth certificate with the raised seal and a driver's license or other state-issued picture ID. You might hear that delivery time is 4-6 weeks; I got mine a few years ago during the "federal government shut-down" and was warned it would take twice that long. It came in the mail in 2 weeks. Have a good trip!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:52 AM
JustALittleVain

And since they last for 10 years, do make an effort to look nice for the photo! Don't be embarassed to take 22 if that's what it takes to get a nice one - you'll be glad for the next 10 years you did!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:00 AM
aimee

You can also go to the post office for forms. The one near me (in Virginia) also takes pictures & processes renewals.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:38 AM
jim

The advice of the previous posters is good. One addition: <BR>Most county governments or federal office centers have offices where you can apply for a passport, and some -- but not all -- will take your picture when you apply. Best bet: Call first and see what the policy is; it could save you some time running around to have pictures taken.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Alexis

It's actually pretty easy. <BR>Step #1. Go to the passport service website at http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html and print out a copy of the application. Read what forms of ID of are required. Usually a birth certificate (with raised seal)and drivers license will do. Naturalization papers if you are not US-born. Marriage certificate (with raised seal) if you are a married female who changed your name. <BR>Step #2 Go to a photo shop that does passport photos. You can find them in the phone book. Make sure you ask for "passport photos". They have to be specific dimensions and you need two. Usual cost: about $10-15. <BR>Step #3 Go to a Post Office in your area that handles passport applications. You can also find this information on the website. For 1st timers, you must apply in person. Bring your checkbook (You will need to write 2 checks. Total cost: $45) and your 2 photos and all your paperwork. <BR>Step #4 Wait for passport. Usual time is 2 - 6 weeks. Mine and my husbands came in exactly 2 weeks. <BR>Step #5 Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Alexis

I'm sorry. The total cost for the passport is $60. You need 2 checks, one for $45 and one for $15.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Lisa

Our Post Office only processes passports with an appointment. It took me 8 days to get one. So call your local Post Office to see what their procedure is. <BR>As previously said: http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html has all the information you will need on it. <BR>Have a great time planning your trip. <BR>-Lisa <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Philip

Hey Anonymous: The only stupid question is one that goes unasked. I know that sounds cliche, but I have learned so much from these boards and the people that ask even the simplest of questions. Always ask, no matter how simple the question.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 03:22 AM
maggi

We recently renewed our passports and had photos taken at our corner Walgreen's drugstore. It took 10 minutes - very convenient, about $8.00 for both of us. It only took about a month to get our passports back, but maybe it would take longer for a first time passport.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Louisa

Maggi or anyone else: When you renew your passport, do they let you keep your old one?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 10:53 AM
abcd

yes, your old passport will be returned with a cancelled stamp on it.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:52 PM
claudia

About photos: Had mine done at Costco Warehouse and they did it with a digital camera. It was great since I could see the pic before it was printed and I did not get stuck with a horrible photo.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 06:05 PM
cmt

The last two times that I got a passport, I filled out the papers somewhere in the building that houses county offices. (I called the county clerk's office and asked wheere to go.) I got the photos done for $5, I think, at AAA. I live near Trenton, NJ. My passport was issued from Philadelphia and mailed to me.