Where do I get these things?

Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Where do I get these things?

I still need to pick up quite a few items before my trip to Rome in less than 3 weeks. I'm not sure where to find some of these items:

~ Something to make my black luggage stand out. (it's always so difficult to pick my suitcase out from the rest at luggage claim. Any ideas for making my black luggage stand out to the eye?)

~ Small compass ( I looked at Target, but the compasses were large and I think designed for map reading.)

~ Small coffee making aperatus & coffee (I am staying on the top flr of a hotel without an elevator. I don't want to make that hike for every cup of coffee in the morning. I've seen some ideas here for small coffe makers, heating elements, coffee packets, etc, but where do I buy these things?)

~ Flash card for camera (I know I can probably get this at Target or Best Buy, but where's the best deal?)

~ Travel size bottles of Fabreeze, Downey (I've checked both Target & Walgreens, no luck)

Thanks everyone.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM

I can make a suggestion for making your luggage stand out: go to a crafts store (Michael's or Jo-Ann) and buy a stencil and some fabric paint, preferably something bright. Stencil the design on all 6 sides of your luggage - it will never be mistaken for anyone else's. It doesn't have to be big or elaborate stencil - even a single logo on each side will do, especially if the color is very bright!

As far as the other things go, check travel and especially camping stores in your area, or even the camping section of a big department or hardware store.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

To make your luggage stand out: Buy colored electrical tape and put pieces of the tape on your luggage. You can find this type of tape in most hardware stores, and also many grocery stores.

I suggest not traveling with coffee making stuff. It will just take up room in your luggage. Buying morning coffee is one of the pleasures of travel in Europe.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:46 AM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not yanking our collective chains.....

I like the stencil idea, will have to keep that one in mind. If you don't want to mark up your luggage you can always pick up one of those neon luggage tags at any luggage store. Just make sure they're durable and will survive the luggage gorillas.

I would think you could easily find a compass at an REI or similar.

Not long ago I bought a Melita one cup coffee maker at Target - they're cheap, small, and they take standard small coffee filters - all you need is some coffee (just take your own) and some boiling water. If you don't have access to boiling water, I guess I'd look into one of the heating element thingies - you can probably find them at kitchen stores such as Bed, Bath and Beyond, Linens & Things and maybe someplace that sells camping equipment, like REI.

Who need travel sizes? Just fill some small travel containers from the big ones you no doubt have at home.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM

A "Dual-Voltage Hot Beverage Maker" ($29.85) can be found at www.magellans.com.
A small key-ring compass ($6.95)can be ordered thru www.ricksteves.com, or the "Therm-o-comp"
(thermometer - compass, keychain size, $8.85) can be found at Magellans.
Buy the Febreze and use it to fill a small travel-size pump spray bottle.
I did the fabric paint thing on my luggage - quite catchy...
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:58 AM

I put a few of those glow in the dark stars from my local art supply store on my black luggage. Tieing a ribbon in your favorite color is another way.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM

Darling, wrap some 2" blue painter's tape around your handles and leave it there forever. No need to make a craft project out of this unless you've got the time. A blue satin bow tied with a knot base at the handle's edge also works and looks pretty. Sorry, but where do you think Martha gets some of her great ideas?

In Rome, on your first day, purchase a small, electric hotplate and a small Bialetti Moka (http://www.bialetti.com/). You'll have them for a long time and love the coffee drinking experience during travel. If you have time, go to via Baullari, just off Vittorio Emanuale, and shortly before you enter Campo d. Fiori there's a very small, non-descript cafe on your left. They sell Moganti ground beans (www.morganti.it/). Not many tourists know about Morganti but many Italian coffee connoisseurs love it, as do I.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM
MGB

Instead of buying liquid fabric softener just get some bounce or downy fabric soft. sheets. They pack easier and you do not have to worry about spills.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:16 AM

Oh, I forgot...yes, I LOVE the cafe experience abroad but my favorite cafe in Venice (a local hangout, nothing grand) charges 11 Euro for 2 cappucini and 2 cornetti, my typical breakfast. For a 30 day visit, you do the math. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I'm stupid. I love making my own cafe in my apartment in the morning and, when I find myself in a hotel room, I love it there, too. But, I'm a coffee snob, for sure.

btw, the hotplate and bialetti are very affordable and weigh little and pack very well. Been traveling with mine for 15 years.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi MizzEve,

To make my luggage stand out, I simply tie a colored ribbon on the handle. My mother prefers something that REALLY stands out, like polka dots or Christmas plaid. I, find, however, that just about any plain color will do.

I bought a compass for our recent Italy trip at Academy. However, we opted not to bring it at the last minute and never really needed it, either.

I bought additional flash cards at Office Depot. The price seemed comparable to most places.

It seems I've seen travel sized bottles of Febreeze at Wal-Mart. However, I agree that you can buy a small squirt bottle to refill for travel.

Hope you have a fantastic time and we look forward to your report when you return!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:28 AM

If you can, just borrow the flash card from a friend. That is the cheapest way.

If you want to actually own the cards: my husband found the best deal on ebay. We've bought two that way.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:54 AM

We have black luggage. Yellow Duct tape works wonders. We can spot our luggage a mile away. Looks like bumblebees. Use lots of it on both sides, top, bottom, etc.

Compass..Any sporting goods store. About $4 or $5. Our hotels in Europe last year give you these large room keys with heavy attachments depicting the hotel. We took them off and attached our small compass. Worked like a charm.

C
Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
ed

You can get RED neon luggage tags at Staples. They alone can make your luggage stand out.

We also have wrap around luggage straps, not only do they make our luggage stand out but it is added security
(We got them at Staples I think they are Samsonite)

Enjoy yourself.:-B
Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM

You can get a 256 compact flashcard at Sam's for about $55, which is much better than the $99 at Best Buy.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM

Tie a wide ribbon (not red, because that's the most common I've seen used by others) around the handle, wrap a couple times. Also a bright luggage tag &/or striped strap that goes around the suitcase works too.

I'd check camping supply store for compass. And wait to purchase coffee making equipment after you arrive (remember there's different type electrical outlets in Europe). If breakfast happens to be included in your hotel rate sometimes they'll even bring it or set it out at least on the various floors.

I use disposable cameras and don't care for the fake smell of that stuff on my clothes (I just hang mine to air out), so no suggestions for the last two.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:17 PM

There's a series of pocket sized guide books called "Insideout".
Rome is included in the series.
Each book contains a pop up map of the city, a city guide, a tiny pen ,and a small built -in flip up compass.
I have two of the series, they were a gift and were bought at Brookstone.
If you're interested in seeing what these guides look like go to www.mapgroup.net
Aug 26th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

NYCFoodSnob ~

I can get the bialetti moka easily enough, but where do I find a hot plate in Rome? I'm only there 10 days and I will want one as soon as possible after arriving.

Also, how do I make coffee in one of those pots?
Aug 26th, 2003, 11:15 AM

"Something to make my black luggage stand out" I have some florescent tape that I bought I believe at Home Depot or Lowes..I put several "stripes" on each side. Helps me see it coming..

"Travel size bottles of Fabreeze, Downey (I've checked both Target & Walgreens, no luck)"
What about buying some small travel sized spray bottles and just filling them up. The Container Store (they have a website also and several national locations) is a personal favorite for travel items.
Aug 26th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!

I got rainbow luggage straps and metallic ribbon for luggage.

I purchased little travel spray bottles at Walmart for Downey, etc.

I got a small compass at Walmart .70 cents(found in the party supply dept believe it or not).

I got a 256mb compact flash card for only $49 at Sam's Club.

I'm still agonizing over the coffee making situation. I'd like to follow NYCSnob's suggestion, but I have no idea how to make coffee in one of those pots LOL
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Glad to hear you found all your "stuff" MizzEve. Have a fantastic trip!

Search this Thread