Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where do I get a cell phone in London ,that I can use in Europe also?

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Denise

Hi, I'm arriving in London next week, and I'm looking to get a cell phone there, one that can be used as I travel over to Europe. I read on another sight about a phone I can purchase and then buy a chip for the minutes to but in it.Is that a good choice, and if so where can I purchase it when I arrive in London?

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Jan

I read in Rick Steves' newsletter about the same thing, and he again talked about it at his recent Travel Festival in Edmonds--in general terms without suggestions as to where to buy the phones. Perhaps just at a local phone store as we do. Regrettably, however, the only info I have is for Italy not England. On an AOL board, they talked about buying cell phones from TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile) stores located all over, just like Pac Bell shops/kiosks here. The SIM chips can also be bought in local tobacco shops, etc. You might try British Telecom website to see if they also have mobile sales. Or just rent from someone like
http://www.rent-a-cellphone.com/. I've not experience w/them, but perhaps another Fodorite does. I'm planning to do same when I travel in mid-May.

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Claudia

Check http://uk.gsmbox.com/
You'll find phone stores anywhere. Note that usually (and for sure in Italy) you can buy the Sim "chip" ONLY in a phone store. It works in part as a prepaid card: when you buy the SIM you can do phone calls up to a certain amount, while incoming calls are free of charge. When your credit is over you have to "recharge" your SIM. This "recharge", not the SIM, can be bought anywhere, tobacco shops, supermarkets etc..
If you travell around Europe, you can often use the same SIM card (let's say British) in different country, but you'll use it in roaming: you'll pay much more for your outgoing calls, and you'll be charged for incoming calls as well. To use your SIM in roaming, you usually have to secure the transaction with your credit card, and your roaming calls will be charged directly on your credit card since it will be often much more expensive than the "prepaid amount"

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:42 AM
DSK

Your other option is to call American Express if you have a card with them. they have set me up with a phone in the past.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Dan

I read on this site yesterday about a company Record Phone International @
www.overseascell.com. You rent the phone in US and it works in Europe as well. Same phone, same phone number. Give them a call.

Mar 30th, 2001, 10:33 AM
rand

Here there is an outfit called Fido. Do you have them there? They advertise that their phones use these chips and therefore can be used everywhere in Europe and in 2,000 American cities.

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:29 PM
andrea

you can also pre-order a cell phone that will be fed-exed to your home a couple of days prior to travel from AUTOEUROPE-a car rental co--they have an 800 no.in the states-don't have it w/me but you can get it from 800 operator-