Reload this Page >

where can i go hunting for haggis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:15 AM
want haggis

i am due to visit "bonnie" scotland soon and want to know if tourists can join in a days haggis hunting? I have eaten haggis before but was told that there is nothing like the taste of a haggis that you have caught and killed yourself. Is it possible to bring children on these haggis hunts? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Sheila

This is very difficult. They tend to be private or club based. The only one I could find for you was<BR><BR>http://barriskell.com/se7enstour/haggis/haggis.htm<BR><BR>and I couldn't see anything about this year's date.<BR><BR>The Scotsman have a virtual Haggis Hunt which you will find on www.haggishunt.com

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:33 AM
bill

If it isn't haggis season, you can go after naugas. The hide of the bull nauga is prized as seatcovers.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:46 AM
xxx

Maybe the best place is in the garbage can behind any restaurant in Scotland that caters to tourists. Everyone likes to order it, but NO ONE actually eats the stuff.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Ira

I'm not sure, but I think haggis season is in early September.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM
John

Just visit your nearest cow....as it is the stomach of the poor creature.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM
uncle sam

Sorry John its the stomach of a sheep..and surprisingly its very good.<BR><BR>I've been to Scotland and have eaten haggis in Edinburgh, Pitlochry and Fort William. Each had a bit of a different tatse, spicier vs less spicy, etc.<BR><BR>It was served each time with tatties (mashed potatoes) and neeps (turnips)...and add a couple of Tenants Lagers and its a real good meal!<BR><BR>US<BR><BR>And actually the haggis you get in most of the restaurants probably isn't really cooked in the real stomach of a sheep.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Christy

I've also had very good tasting Haggis, on the Isle of Skye. It was spicy and a bit chewy, served with oat crackers...

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:05 AM
PatrickW

I've said it before, but think 'big sausage' or 'savoury porridge' or 'turkey stuffing'

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Jinx Hoover

Just ask any Scottish caddie, and he can point out areas in the gorse where the little beasties hang out just waiting to pounce on any wayward golfer. You ne'er venture into the whins poking around for a lost golf ball because of the sharp teeth of the haggis! 'Tis wiser to unwrap a shiny new Titlest than to risk the wrath of the haggis! Take care and haste ye back!<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Mcgonnegal

It's not worth crawling about in prickly gorse bushes when you can buy it in a tube from Safeways.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Ruth

&quot;Want haggis&quot; - have you considered haggis WATCHING instead? These fascinating creatures can be seen at dawn leading their families of wee haggis kittens along well trodden paths through the gorse. Watch them romp and roll in the morning dew, then ask yourself, do you want to HUNT them? There was a great David Attenborough programme (&quot;Life of Haggis&quot a few years ago - maybe you can catch it on cable.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can book a tour for the express purpose of Haggis Hunting out of Speyburn. The tour does not include the cost of the hunting permit or whisky. Be careful of bag limits and learn to identify your target. BTW - There's nothing worse than a gut shot Haggis.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I'm deeply mortified about the killing of innocent creatures in the barbaric eating of haggis. I was wondering if there is a vegetarian version of this dish and where to find it. Certainly there are some vegetarian restaurants in Scotland - aren't there?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
That would be Henderson's Hoose o' Haggis, on Haggover Street in Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Served with GM clapshot.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Relief! For all those worried that Fodors would lose the "fun" posts!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:30 PM

sounds like you watched "SAMUAI JACK" yesterday,
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:45 PM

That was super, Gardy!!<BR><BR>And for the record Macsweens do the best veggie haggis. I'm told it's not a patch on the real thing, tho'
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I just ran across this: The shy Highland Haggis can be found at the summit of most Scottish mountains. Their right legs are longer than their left, enabling them to run around the summit at great speeds in an anti-clockwise direction without falling over. However, should they attempt to run in the other direction they will roll down the hill and lie helpless in the valleys below. Here they are collected by Highland Haggis gatherers and sold throughout Scotland where they are considered a great delicacy!<BR><BR>Haste ye back!<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
troll or not...I nice way to raise children, watching adults kill defenseless animals for sport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -