Where between Nantes and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out last week I'll be able to take vacation from 11/27 through 12/7. I know it's an ugly time for France with short daylight hours and cold weather. But I'd rather be vacationing in France than working at home.

Right now I'm thinking 3 nights in Nantes, 3 nights somewhere else then 3 nights in Paris. I've been to Paris 3 times in the past 2 years so I won't be cheating myself. I've been through the Loire valley so I probably won't go there, even though it's tempting to go back to Angers for 3 nights and take day trips from there.

I'm more a city person liking museums and architecture. I won't have a rental car.

Anyone have any ideas about someplace in between Nantes and Paris?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Have you considered la Rochelle? It's not a big city, but it's very pretty, with lots of little museums and great architecture, and the lack of tourists at that time of year might make up for the fact that being on the coast in winter isn't ideal. You could take a daytrip or two out to the nearby islands as well. Of course, it would be a bit of a hike back to Paris, but not too bad.
Another suggestion might be to go to Normandy (Caen if you like cities, Bayeux if you'd appreciate a good-sized town). You could take excursions to the D-Day beaches and there's no shortage of museums of various kinds.
Of course, much will depend on train connections, but I trust you can check on those.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq. I looked in my guidebooks last night and La Rochelle looks excellent. Especially since I can catch a TGV from there and be in Paris in 3 hours.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

"Wheat from the chaff."

Yes, it's easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. You post a question about Rome or Paris or London or Venice and you get a veritable plethora of answers. Post one about Norwich or Helsinki or Berlin or any other destination that isn't a Rick Steves "must-see" and you get nothin'.

Is this really a European forum or just a first-timer's playground?

(By the way, thanks again StCirq. I can always count on you to help me through France.)
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:22 PM

You're welcome, Indy. If you need more info about La Rochelle or the islands, let me know. Enjoy and bonne route!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I like La Rochelle alot and found the people friendly. The old port is wonderful.This romantic inlet of the sea is guarded by a pair of battlements out of a fairy tale-tour St Nicolas, 15th century and the tallest. The other is called tour de la chaine.
As you like archtecture, in Nantes is "La Cigale"."a national historic monument, beautiful Belle Epoque look.
(it opened in 1895)Brasserie food.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cigale. Is that where you got your screen name?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:35 AM

You may want to spend a day in Tours as well. I was there a couple years ago and enjoyed it. The cathedral is lovely, with a narrow, tall nave and exceptional stained glass behind the altar; the train station is a nice belle epoque building; and the bishop's palace houses a regional art museum. And the houses in the center have interesting slate fronts (this may be typical in the area--I don't know).