Where besides Paris?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 01:53 PM
kim

Where besides Paris?

Traveling from London to France for 8 days in June. Planning two days in Paris and then 6 to explore France by car. Have to Paris twice,and Nice once. Like moderate amount of museums, love beautiful vistas and countryside, great quaint towns and amazing food. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Kim

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:15 PM
John

Hi Kim,<BR><BR>My wife and I loved Beaune (quaint city) and Colmar (semi-quaint). They and the countryside around, to and fro seem to fit your criteria.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Moonbeam

What are your interests? We love the 20th cen hisory of WW1 and WW2 battlefields, the traditions of Brittany and Normandy...you may like the wine routes. the bastides of Dordogne..the Nice beaches ...what exactly are your interests?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Linda

If you love beautiful countryside ( apple orchards, horse farms, rolling hills, gorgeous beaches...it's hard to beat Normandy. There is much more to Normandy than the landing beaches! Even the autoroute driving is pretty once you are 20 minutes outside the center of Paris.<BR>Along the way there is Giverny, Honfleur, Deauville and Trouville, as well as numerous small and charming villages.the National Stud Farm ( Haras<BR>du Pin) beautiful even if you are not particularly into horses.Don't miss the charming town of Beuvron D'Auge. If you are into gardens, Normandy has a great many of them that are open to the public, and are spectacular.There is also much information on the web about the region. <BR>Get a Michelin map of Normandy and follow any of the routes marked with green ( scenic ).<BR>If you have the time to venture further west into Brittany, Mont St. Michel is spectacular amd Dinan, Dinard and St. Malo interesting, and the ride along the coast beautiful.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:58 AM
David

I did the Loire valley last spring for 3 weeks total. From Orleans through Blois, Amboise, Tours, Chinon, Saumur & Angers along with other towns.<BR><BR>Though a bit further Saumur was my favorite. Great size (30k), beautiful castle, sailing on the Loire and Saumur Equestrian heritage.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Pat

Hi Kim,<BR> I agree with the places already mentioned. And the food is especially wonderful in Normandy. I would also suggest Rheims in Champagne country,which is not far from Paris. You can visit the champagne caves, which are interesting not only for the champagne production but also for the historical uses of the caves. Cathedral and country side beautiful too. The city of Strasbourg is also interesting in Alsace as are the cuisine and the culture which has the Germanic influence.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Michele

Don't miss Mont St. Michel.