Reload this Page >

Where are those informative regulars?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:48 AM
Where

Information used to be readily dispensed on this site from very well informed regular attendees. These included Bob the Navigator, Paulo, Elaine, Elvira, Gina, etc. They rarely or never post these days. Does anybody know if they have moved to another site? I know they can't all be traveling for over a month at the same time.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:00 AM
xxx

There are so many posts lately that one could spend all day reading and responding. Maybe the 'informative regulars' just don't have time for all these posts. I'm a semi-regular and I just don't have time to answer the same questions over and over.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:19 AM
regular

They are being swamped by refugees from chatlines like yourself.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:20 AM
Rex

I have seen answers from 4 of the 5 in the past 24 hours (Ben Haines too), and from Gina within the last week. Is there some burning unanswered question that "needs attention"? <BR> <BR>I agree that the traffic in general is high, and the number of new questions is high, with a preponderance of (what I would call "simple") rail travel questions like "what is the schedule and fare to get from A to B?" <BR> <BR>But if that is the question that any new visitor needs answered, it is important enough to her/him to type it in. <BR> <BR>My biggest concern is that many newcomers ask questions, come back 2-3 days later and can no longer find their own questions. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:57 AM
barbara

I too was wondering where Bob the Navigator had gone (off-course?), but I saw that he was back today.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:16 AM
Lee

Back about three years ago, there were many who frequented this board and sharing information was really fun. Sometimes it still is, but with so many now visiting this site, we have, unfortunately, managed to muddle things up with a number of critics. I can remember when Wes, Al Ruth, Maira, Monica, Ms. Fowler, Elvira, Bob the Navigator and so many others were so good to provide helpful and insightful information on so many topics that I just wanted to read what they had to say, even if I wasn't going there. <BR> <BR>Now, although there is still much to be gained here, the attacks have maybe taken their toll. Who wants to be ridiculed if their opinion isn't the most popular? I even quit coming back for a while when I got attacked, but have just decided to return anyway. It doesn't help to have non-travel related threads like the Bill Clinton-thing, et al, where we get into politics and religion. This isn't the forum for that stuff anyway. <BR> <BR>Why can't we all just get along and exchange information and not have to defend ourselves and each other? Let's get back to what made this board so unique. Let's work together. <BR> <BR>OK, so attack me.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:39 AM
Al

To spread a little sunshine, Tony (a.k.a. Stellarosa) and Emily dropped by for lunch yesterday, heading west across America, and bound for California and B.C. We can report that they are in excellent health, making sage observations about their journey, and we encourage S. to start writing his book about their travels. Such delightful people!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:16 AM
Another regular

I used to answer lots of posts seeking specific travel info or opinions, but I'm doing it a lot less now, even if I know the answer. That is because people attack you if you post "too much." They see it as dominating the board, and they really let you have it. So I am a lot more selective about it. <BR> <BR>Sorry, I'd like to help more, but the attacks take the fun out of it.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:43 AM
Rex

I still don't get "doesn't help to have non-travel related threads like the Bill Clinton-thing". Very unsavory, and unfunny too. <BR> <BR>But are you saying that one-timers fail to become two-timers because they stumble onto something like that? or once-a-month'ers choose not to become once-a-week'ers? <BR> <BR>I just don't get the point of why anyone - - newcomer, veteran or anywhere in between - - can't overlook the chaff (just don't stop on these!!), and revel in all this wonderful wheat here. <BR> <BR>I can tell you that this board is one hundred times better than the stock market boards that I (intermittently) follow - - especially in the frequency with which horrible, offensive language is used here (i.e., almost never, here). <BR> <BR>My guess is that Fodor's does have alerts, in one form or another, for some forms of inappropriate language. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Interesting ! I too had been wondering about Paulo, but I suspect he is being more selective in his responses. After more than 3 years of daily participation on this forum one tends to become weary of answering the same questions to new travelers. I still am here every day but am content to limit my responses to the questions where I can lend a unique perspective. Somtimes less is better. However, I will soon be gone for 2 weeks to Bella Italia---Rome and sud Toscana. I hope to have some gems to share upon my return. I will not be commenting on ceramic shopping in Deruta, but I may be able to gain some insight into haunts of the Val d' Orcia and reflect upon Palm Sunday in Assisi. My addiction has not subsided, just my perceived need to answer every question---perhaps a sign of maturity.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:57 AM
susan

I always look forward to the informative responses by Patrick, but I notice he seems to be busier these days over at the US board. Apparently he is planning a big trip in the US this summer. Most of the others I still see posting here a lot -- but Elvira less than previously.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:02 AM
yyy

&lt;&lt;My addiction has not subsided, just my perceived need to answer every question---perhaps a sign of maturity&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>An obvious dig... <BR> <BR>so clearly, your quest for maturity has still an inch or two to go... <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:06 AM
xxx

Rex is an "informative regular" but people keep telling him to shut up. You can't always have your choice of posters who are regular and informative and write on topics that you especially like and in a writing style that you enjoy and with a personality that you find appealing. That's a lot to ask for on a free site, isn't it?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:24 AM
mmm

I think that "informative regulars" probably answer a ton of direct e-mail questions, if the question is well thought out, and if they know the answer. <BR> <BR>On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with steering questions back to the board where others can get something out of them. Unless they are really personal in nature. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:24 AM
xman

Hmmm ! I wonder who xxx could be.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:26 AM
aaa

I know who yyy and mmm are, but I don't know who xxx is. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:28 AM
xxx

I tried to ask some real questions on this forum because I was planning a trip to Italy. I had done some research but still needed alot of help. I got some good answers to some of my questions but I also was made to feel like an idiot for asking them by alot of your "regulars". Not every one travels all the time and the people that need the help are those not the regular travelers. Maybe before you jump and condem you should remember that the same question you answered last month is not being asked by the same person but another person trying to learn the best way to enjoy their dream trip. A little bit of compassion goes a long way.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:46 AM
Andrea

The problem with some "regulars" is their ego and that they think they know everything and that no one can disagree with them. Lee above is a case in point. I suspect his remark about people "attacking" him are reference to his posting an outrageous, erroneous, subjective post presenting as a "fact" that hotels less than four-star were dumps and not worth staying in. A lot of people disagreed with this opinion and stated why they disagreed. Perhaps I didn't see them all, but the posts I read following his remarks were factual, addressed his proposition and disagreed with his statements and explained why, and were not personal attacks. The fact that he is bearing grudges and cannot understand that and that he doesn't think anyone has the right to disagree with him on such outrageous opinions is the problem.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:50 AM
John Bryan

I would like to thank Bob, Kam, Howard, and Cathy for the wonderful advice re: my Ireland trip...your help was so great, and added to my experience. I had a wonderful time. thanks!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:06 AM
xxx

Some of the "informative regulars" post only on specific kinds of threads when they have expertise. For example, Paulo Rizzi, in my opinion, is phenomenally knowledgeable and helpful, but he doesn't go around posting on every little topic just for the hell of it. The people who do tend to be compulsively communicative to the point where they irritate people and draw criticism. <BR> <BR>By the way, I'm the same xxx who posted a few hrs. ago re Rex and drew the "I wonder who..." comments from Xman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -