Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where are all the Aussie Fodorites and Aussie travelers???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Mary Ann

Are there no people planning to go to Austrailia and New Zealand? I found this forum last February while planning our fall trip to Europe. It has been wonderful. The suggestions, ideas, links, thoughts and comments were great. I've tried to respond too just to share and help pay back. Now however, we are planning a trip next fall to OZ and NZ. I now visit both Europe and South Pacific sites. I am amazed that there can be "0" activity for 24 hours or more and sometimes only 1 comment a day in comparison to the activity here. Anyone know the answer?

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 08:12 AM
Lori

Mary Ann, <BR>If you mean Americans by no people, I suspect there are several reasons why there is so much activity on this Forum, one of which being the reasonable air fares and packages from the U.S. to Europe vs. the fares to Australia or NZ from the U.S. (particularly expensive from east coast). Another is the length of the trip - even from the west coast it's long. You really can't take a long weekend to NZ from anyplace in the U.S. another is simply a "culture" thing. Most Americans also study some European history in school to some degree and over time develop an interest in visiting those sights if they are so inclined. Also, the majority of Americans have the family "roots" in Europe so there is that tie as well. As wonderful as Australia & New Zealand may be (and I'm sure it is as some folks I work with have traveled down under), aside from the Sydney Opera House, Ayers Rock and kangeroos & koala bears I don't think many Americans know much about it. I understand the Great Barrier Reef is awesome but it's expensive to get to so for those looking for the tropics the Caribbean and Hawaii surfice I guess. <BR>Perhaps others have ideas on this subject.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 09:39 AM
mate

And maybe there are fewer Aussies posting because summer's starting and they're all outside enjoying the weather?

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 01:04 PM
jacquie

What good weather was that ? I live in Sydney and the weather has been SHOCKING lately. Not sure why, but most people posting on this forum seem to be American. This is not just because it's summer in Australia, as I've been reading and posting here since winter. I just don't think that many Australians know about this forum. It's a pity, because I have found this forum sooo helpful and just plain interesting. <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 05:43 PM
RosemaryM

Jacquie, <BR>I agree, this forum is very helpful and interesting. I've been reading and posting the odd tentative reply for some months now, rapidly becoming addicted. I don't know why we are not so inclined to patronise the Aussie/NZ forum - perhaps we take the wide brown land for granted. I've travelled all over Australia and there is scenery and action the equal of almost anywhere in the world, but it is so far flung. When we travelled to WA last year it took five hours in the plane, we could have reached New Zealand, New Caledonia, Fiji etc. sooner. I love Australia but in spite of five generations of Aussies, my roots are in UK and my ideal holiday is in Europe/UK.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 07:00 PM
jacquie

I'm planning a RTW trip and found this forum to be the really active one. It seems, for example, the Asian and South American ones just aren't being looked at by many people. Rosemary, I can't explain why, but despite NOT having travelled in Australia, I still look to Europe for my preferred holiday. I was born in Sydney and have only been to Melbourne a couple of times and around the Gold Coast. There's so much more to see but the cost is such that I could go overseas for the same cost and prefer to do so. I always imagine I'll travel here later. <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 06:55 AM
FrankR

try the lonely planet board(thorn tree <BR>as they call it)for oz & nz

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 06:55 AM
FrankR

try the lonely planet board(thorn tree <BR>as they call it)for oz & nz

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 01:54 PM
jacquie

The Thorn Tree is also very good for Asia and is more active than this one for South America. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 12:11 AM
lisa

Well I'm an Aussie who has just returned from 2 months in Europe and Asia and all I can say is that "there is no place like home". Don't get me wrong, the trip was fascinating seeing all the major attractions, Pisa, Eiffel tower, Mona Lisa etc, but as far as living somewhere permanently, Australia beats all that I saw. If for no other reason, it must be the clean air, great beaches, cheap food/accommodation and the four to six weeks annual leave to go travelling.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Joanna

I agree with Jacquie above, I'll see Australia when I'm older and unable to cope with 24 hours of flying, climbing hundreds of steps to the top of a cathedral, etc. There are zillions (well, lots) of tour companies that specifically cater to Australian pensioners to all areas of Australia. Until I'm old and grey I intend seeing as much of the rest of the world as possible.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Amanda

I agree with Lisa - there definitely isn't any place like home. <BR> <BR>I've returned from a backpacking trip in Europe to fully appreciate Melbourne. And I would be looking at taking some time off and visiting more of our continent. Plus, after an expensive and long trip, I'm short of money and leave. <BR> <BR>Amanda.