Reload this Page >

Where are all the Americans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 01:28 AM
meg

A report in today's newspaper indicates that visitors to the UK from North America dropped by 7% since Sept. 11th. This is the greatest drop since the Gulf Wat 10 years ago.<BR>Do come back and see us SOON

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Melissa

I don't know about Americans, but Canadians are scared to go anywhere. This is bad, because I am a travel agent and depend on sales for a living. I also found our sales to Europe were down this summer, due to Foot and Mouth. I had clients who actually thought they, personally would get the disease. British tourism authority sent us an information package, which I photocopied for my clients, but didn't help. <BR><BR>We keep telling ourselfs, next year it will be better.<BR><BR>Don't worry people will travel again soon. (I hope!)

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Mimi

Americans are staying home!!!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:30 AM
shani

Correction MIMI..<BR><BR><BR>SOME Americans are staying home, not all, certainly not me

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Vita

I just saw some pictures of my friend's trip to the UK, and I want to go now more than ever. I'll make it there soon!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Maira

Well, after two cancelled trips to Italy in 2001, it is London for me in February. As a New Yorker, I feel like returning the support, maybe if in a small measure. Looking forward to the trip.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Bob

Get off it folks! <BR><BR>We spent 10 days in England and Scotland in July and enjoyed the food with no problem. No foot and mouth and we ate beef. Imagine that!<BR><BR>We just returned yesterday from 10 days in Germany with no problem. The big bright spot is that the places are not crowded. The 9/11 terrorists have kept a lot of people away and Europe is there to enjoy. <BR><BR>I was searched at DFW Airport leaving, Frankfurt returning and DFW again. Did not mind it at all. Everyone trying to do their job. <BR><BR>My recommendation: Travel and enjoy the trip. It will never be this good again as the other people will eventually return. We are now planning another trip before they do.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Mary C

Meg,<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your kind words! Went to London last March & will definitely return soon. This supports my theory that UKers (especially Londoners) are among the nicest people in the world.<BR><BR>Aw shucks!<BR>Mary

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:12 PM
gary

I made my first trip to Europe since 1986 earlier this year and with the great air fares and offers of free bonus miles to travel before April, I plan to go again! By the way Meg, London was even better in 2001 than the 80s.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:58 PM
xxx

I'd go in a minute, but the lodging prices are still too high to lure me over. With a bad economy in the US, I'm not sure when I'll find another job after my layoff 4 months ago.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Peat Seager

Where have all the Americans gone?<BR>Long time passing<BR>Where have all the Americans gone?<BR>Long time ago<BR>Where have all the Americans gone?<BR>Gone to Branson, every one<BR>When will they ever learn<BR>When will they ever learn

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Alex

Going to London in March!!! Can't wait.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:24 AM
Philip

I made my contribution by visiting London over Thanksgiving. It was my sixth trip to London and I'll still have not seen all I want to see there.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Bob C

Take the economy and add 09/11 equals stay at home. We have cancelled a trip to France for next year because of the stock market.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Michelle

Our family of four will be traveling from the US to London the last week in January. We are also spending 2 days in Paris and can't wait!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Jess

Don't worry! I'll be there in two weeks to spend all the cash I can!!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:36 AM
blame

I LOVE England and Wales, but I've decided that I'm not going to reward the airlines with my business until they make passenger security their number one priority. Even with the taxpayer bailout, it was still minimum wage business as usual for them until the government forced them to do something about security. And that has yet to be implemented.<BR><BR>Instead, I've learned to ski and we've taken trips close to home, which all costs plenty of $$$!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Thyra

Well, we will be in Amsterdam and Brugge this April... plus Kenya....<BR>Counting the days......<BR>I would be in the UK every other weekend if I could afford it. <BR>Thanks for the invite. We will take you up on it soon.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:55 AM
natalie

Hi Meg, We'll be returning to the U.K. in May but my hubby & I also feel it is important to travel is the U.S right now as our economy is so slow. We were going to go to London in Feb. but decided to go New Orleans instead. Don't worry we Americans will be back in droves hopefully within the next few years! We love the U.K. Our most faithful ally......

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Sjoerd

I can't believe that there has only been a 7% drop in tourism from North America ---&gt; UK. 7% is almost marginal. My newspaper today reported that the number of Dutch people visiting North America has dropped 28% (2001 compared to 2000) Probably more a result of the expensive US$ than 11 Sept. Tourism to Turkey is up 50%!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -