Where and what are consolidators?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:33 AM
elaine

Where and what are consolidators?

Hi
I've been traveling for a long time now and I still have no idea what consolidators do, don't do, and how one finds a reliable one.
Is there recourse if some problem arises with the airline or with the ticket?
Can someone enlighten me?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Tim

Elaine: For as much as you post I cannot belief the question.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:13 AM
elaine

gee, that doesn't make me feel any better for not knowing.
Everybody doesn't know something, and this is one of mine.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Holly

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking the question.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:32 AM
wes fowler

Elaine,
Consolidators work in much the same way as do ticket brokers who purchase blocks of seats at Broadway theaters. The consolidator will purchase blocks of unsold airline seats, usually at a steep volume discount, then resell them with a markup still below the airline's published fare. Purchasing through a consolidator can save you money though doing so has its disadvantages. You rarely can accumulate frequent flier miles on a consolidator ticket and if problems arise of any kind, your recourse is invariably with the consolidator rather than the airline. It can get nightmarish in the event of a delayed or missed flight. The holder of a consolidator ticket is far down on the airline's priority list for service or acknowledgement as opposed to the customer purchasing directly from the airline.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Christina

I'm sure someone else who spends more time on researching airfares can expand on this, but consolidators are companies that are selling you tickets that they got from the airline at a discount (either buying in bulk or negotiated); thus, you are likely to only find good fares on flights that are not usually almost full. That's why I don't buy them much, as I am picky about my times and flight schedules. Legally, I'm not quite sure what you've bought, but you don't have the same rights as someone who bought a ticket from the airline (which could be a problem if your flight was cancelled or delayed, I don't think they owe you anything); also they may be completely nonrefundable or changeable, even with fee, and may not give you FF miles and you may not get assigned seats. I have only bought tickets from them twice and had no problems, so don't know what happens in major problems. As for a good one, I only dealth with companies that had been in business a long time, I checked with BBB in my city (where they were) and also only used ones recommended in reputable travel articles. I live in Wash DC and they did an excellent article in the Post Sunday travel section once on recommended consolidators for all kinds of services (US, Asia, Europe), etc, you could perhaps search their online archives. Here is another good article from Frommers with recommendations:http://www.frommers.com/features/articles/9911_1a.html
I also only bought with a credit card for some security. I might add that the consolidator I used (who had consolidator tickets on Air France where I live, one of the few companies that did) then went bankrupt some years later and a lot of people lot their money who had paid for tickets but hadn't received them. They were operating with too thin cash flow reserves and playing the game of accepting payment and then not buying the tickets for a while. I should have known as I did not get my tickets until about a week before departure even though I'd paid for it much farther ahead; I don't think I'd accept that arrangement again, even though they were regarded as reputable at that time.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

That is a fair question. They are merely wholesalers---think Marshalls or TJ Maxx. They buy up large blocks of unsold seats from select airlines and offer them to you at a discount. It is the same flights, just discounted. They often do not get their allotment of flights until about 90 days prior so you need to be patient. Some are more stable financially than others, but I have used several and have had no problem yet--unless you count Swissair going belly up the day before departure. Certainly not the consolidators fault--I bought that one thru bestfares.com and have just now gotten reimbursed. How best to use them? Well, I search the major sites to see what is out there---such as orbitz.com or travelocity.com--and then check the consolidators to compare. It takes time and patience but it works.
The best ones for me are:
bestfares.com
cheaptickets.com
autoeurope.com--click on airfares
tiss.com
I also use unitravel.com but it is not open to everyone. Also, when you zero in on a flight and a price, go back and check with the airline to compare. There is no easy quick way to do it. Timing is important and patience is a virtue. Good luck !

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:48 AM
elaine

I know bestfares and cheaptickets, just didn't realize that they are examples of consolidators.
thanks to all

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Vicki

So Bob what is the difference between travelociy and bestfares. And how can you tell if a certain "vendor" is a consolidator? And what is the term for places like travelocity. And sorry for the 20 questions but thanks for all the answers!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Christina

Travelocity is just a travel agency, basically. Just virtual, that's all. I think it's easy to tell the difference, I never thought about it that much -- the consolidators are the ones with words like "cheap" etc in their title whose main selling point is that you are getting cheap/discount tickets compared to normal published farfes. Travelocity and Expedia haven't ever advertised themselves that wasy, as far as I know, although I think I've heard they have some slightly discounted fares through bargains with airlines, that isn't their real purpose. All of the tickets I've bought through them were std APEX fares, I just like their convenience and service and search capabilities.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:45 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Well said above. Sites like Travelocity are really " agents" selling tickets thru the airlines for a commision. The consolidators actually have the seats allocated to them on a bulk basis. Does that make sense?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Vicki

Yes Bob it does and thanks to all for sharing your wisdom.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Walter

Elaine: No personal experience either but here is a FAQ on Consolidators. Regards, Walter
http://altern.org/ehasbrouck/faq/index.html

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Don

Pretty good descriptions so far. In slightly more specific terms (shop-talk?): consolidators are travel agencies that have negotiated with airlines--almost always on international routes--the right to sell tickets in a specified fare class at an agreed-upon commission level. The "discount" to consumers is really a high commission to the consolidator which in turn offers the seat at a "discount" rate to buyers. Consolidators negotiate airfares based on fare classes--they may only have availability to H class fares at their special rate, for example, but once H class sells out on a flight (via sales the consolidator itself has made, or via the airline) then seats are no longer available at that price for that class. In general, consolidator fares to Europe are a good deal in Summer, but in the off-season, airline sales are usually better unless you need to stay >30 days--in which case consolidators again have the advantage since their tix almost always allow longer stays. Confused yet?

I also like the simpler TJMaxx analogy above .

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Vic

You can buy consolidator tickets through travel agents. As a matter of fact some consolidators sell only to travel agents. So a travel agent that is knowledgable about consolidators may be able to find the best deal.

When you buy a regular ticket from the airline or a travel agent, the price of the ticket is stated on the face of the ticket. If an agent adds a service charge it must be separately stated as an additional charge. This is not true with consolidator tickets.

The price on the face of the consolidator ticket is whatever the agent thinks he can get. So it is possible that the agent has included a 100% or more mark up in the price. So you must shop around when you are looking for a consolidator ticket.

That's one reason that you can't make changes through the airline, you must deal with the consolidator. The airline doesn't know what was actually paid net of the travel agent's markup.

Remember that's it's the airlines that chose which seats they want to sell to consolidators at what price. If the airline thinks it can sell the seat themselves they won't sell it to a consolidator. So the most popular dates and itineraries won't be available.