Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When traveling, ipod or MP3...advantages???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a preference for one you take with you when you go to a different continent?? Which brand / style do you like best? I'm electronically challenged but would like to purchase something for my vagabond DD. Any suggestions? Any limitations in other countries? (I don't know. I said I'm electonically challenged!)

TIA,
sal
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM

If purchasing for your daughter, you might ask her which she would prefer. I would purchase the same thing I would purchase for use in the US. I believe most chargers for IPODs and most MP3 players are generally multivoltage so only a different plug adapter would be required for different countries. (But you do want to verify that the charger is indeed multivoltage.)

I personally have an IPOD but have had MP3 player in the past. There are a lot more accessories available for IPODs than other brands.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM

I have a PalmOne Zire72s which also plays music. The charger that came with it is dual voltage because I purchased it in Toronto. A friend has the exact same model bought in the US and the charger is single voltage so whatever you purchase check to be sure.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was hoping not to have to ask her. It's a Christmas gift.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:08 AM

I love my I Pod and so does DH but I have never checked on the MP3. Try going to an electronics store, look at all of the young people checking out the gadgets and ask them which they want and why. They love to talk about these things and will start showing you how they work and what is "cool" (is that word even used any more?). I have found talking to other young people shopping at the local Best Buy to be invaluable when my kids want new gadgets that I am "challenged" about.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM

A couple of years ago I bought an IRiver MP3 player specifically because it used one AA battery. I figured I could purchase a battery any where in the world or carry some extras and wouldn't have to worry about where or how to recharge it. The specs said one battery should last 35 hours but I have had them last over 50. Mine is the 1GB and holds about 300 songs which is plenty for me. Just as important was the fact that it fits in a waterproof case by H2O Audio that enables me to use it while I swim laps. There are many brands, sizes and holding capabilities on the market so maybe you could ask one of her friends to recommend something for you.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:21 AM

If she wants to be trendy and fit in with all the other kids, go Ipod. If she wants better sound quality and more storage capacity as well as better tech support, try Creative Zen or the new Zune. Ipod is the "cool" way to go. Kind of like asking what's better, a Cadilac Escalade or Toyota Highlander. The former is the "in" vehicle right now while the Toyota will get you there just as well as the Caddy, costs thousands less, and will last 10 years.

Actually the Zune might also qualify as cool with the younger crowd. It just came out so it won't be until after Christmas when we'll know if it's the new way to go. For better or worse, to kids it doesn't matter how good the product is; it has to impress other kids.

I have a Creative Zen Vision M which not only plays music but stores full-length movies, stores my digital photos, has a voice recorder and includes an FM radio. It's gone to Europe three times in the last year and has been invaluable on the flights back and forth. I also invested in a good leatherish case. I must have dropped the darn thing twenty times already and it keeps going and going.

I'd suggest reading the following to help you make an intelligent decision:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6...tag=cnetfd.dir

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:35 AM

I bought a 30gb iPod for my husband last Christmas. He uses it for books, not music when he travels for work, which is pretty contstantly. It's very coll

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:35 AM

Or even cool (*blushes*)
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

ipod is definately the cool thing. the apple ipod is a mp3 player, it's just a brand. it's very well designed and works great with itunes (apples music download site).

how old is she? if she's under 12, i'd go with a shuffle. 12+ i'd go with a nano. look up to see if there is an apple store in your area and go to the store. they will be very helpful.

I would suggest an IPOD and a gift card for itunes
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice...and the link, Z!