When too young for Europe?

Jan 15th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Maisie

When too young for Europe?

Planning to visit cities of Italy, Paris and London over this year and next, but wondered if my son, 7 yrs now would be too young. He likes skiing and I thought New Zealand in August would be off peak and a place to visit and be able to ski. I just found out from Australians recently skiing in NY that now into spring is a good time to go for the beaches there? Any other opinion? Thanks

Jan 15th, 2001, 11:58 AM
elvira

Chronological age is moot - I know several 40 year olds that wouldn't do well on a European trip.
If you've traveled with your son other places, and he deals with the upset, new food, etc. well, then you're halfway there. Make sure he has a suitcase he can handle (you'll have to carry some of his stuff, because child-sized suitcases are small) and that YOU can handle when he gets too tired.
Most of the stuff in museums is too high for kids to really see, so make sure you search out stuff at his eye level. Both Paris and London have museums of things other than art, like transportation, coins, locks & keys, etc. that might appeal to him more than 16th century Flemish paintings (they do me). There are parks in both cities that have things to do - like paddleboats in Hyde Park or carousels - plus lots of running around room. Whatever his interests, you can find a place that caters to them. Borrow from the library or rent from a store videos on the cities/areas you want to visit, and ask him what sparks his interest; involve him in the planning in that way. There are lots of picture books (for adults and children) about the different cities.
Don't try to cover too much in one day; little legs don't cover as much ground as yours.
Lastly, the food - if after eating coq au vin and fish and chips for days without complaint, and he begs for a burger, indulge him, even if it's McDonald's. And in Italy, there's always pizza!
Oh, and make sure he carries the address where you're staying, if he gets separated from you.

Jan 15th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Thyra

Ok... am I missing something? I there a New Zealand in Europe that I am not aware of? I thik there is a Zealand or something in Scandinavia... but I only know of the New Zealand down by Australia.... Maisie, if you want information on New Zealand you might want to know that the New Zealand I know of is not in Europe. Unless I misread your entire post, try posting on the Australian/New Zealand boards.

Jan 15th, 2001, 01:28 PM
clairobscur

Zealand is part of the Netherland, AFAIK. I believe the OP was hesitating between a ski resort in NZ and a visit to some european cities.

Jan 15th, 2001, 01:47 PM
mpeterson

My 8 year-old loved Paris! Pick things in the museums that he would enjoy - most kids like the Egyptian artifacts in the Louvre or the Impressionists at the Musee d'Orsay. Alternate the museums with physical activities: running around the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris or Kew Gardens in London. Maybe Legoland near Windsor? Zoos are another favorite attraction.

Jan 15th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Thyra

Thanks Clairobsur, I was confused.