Reload this Page >

When to book flight for Nov. trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Mike S.

We are going to Germany and Austria Nov. 8. I have never been to Europe before and am getting mixed opinions on when to book "cheap" airfare. Right now the prices from Detroit to Munich are nearly $700...I've heard to expect $350. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Kathy

Mike, <BR>Not certain this will help, but hope it does...usually beginning in mid-July you will start to see "fall sales" which may or may not be significantly cheaper than the fare you've been quoted. Supposedly the airlines have sales to lure people to what are more "touristy" destinations. I'd wait a bit longer to see what transpires. <BR>Have you tried Hotwire.com, Eurotrip.com, & QIXO.com? These may be helpful? <BR>Good Luck, <BR>Kathy

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Steve

Mike - My wife & I have been to Europe (with and w/o our children) about 6 times in the last 8 years, always on a budget. We always go (from Atlanta) either in late spring or fall (usually November, even around Thanksgiving). We've never had to pay much more than $400/per and often quite less. And we always wait for those "sales" that Kathy mentioned. If you can stay flexible about your exact departure date and time and even your first destination and your departure city, waiting until the sales appear will probably save you at least $200 each. Keep checking airline web sites for specials, too. Hope you have a great experience.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Maira

I used to keep track of the price cycle, but it has gotten quite random and unpredictable. Case in point, I found (and bought!) Nov (first week)tickets to Rome last February; $424/RT from Albany, NY. Used to be that I would had to wait till late August to get that range. Keep checking qixo.com, flights.com, travelocity.com, and cheaptickets.com. By the way, thedailyauction.com auctions off tickets to Germany (lufthansa) frequently. If you are flexible, it may be worth a go.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Mike, you MAY be able to get that flight from Detroit for $350, but I'm not sure that I would be willing to bank on it. Really, once the fare gets into the high-400s range, you're probably looking at wanting to book because you have some specific dates in mind. Moreover, some of the very lowest fares often involve no FF miles on your preferred carrier, etc. You have to decide if that trade-off makes sense for you. (For me, those miles would be worth more than $200 per ticket). I agree with those who say wait for a bit -- possibly until as late as after Labor Day -- to get the best deal. Happy Trails!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Tim

Wait. It's far too early. You get the best prices about 45 days from your departure date, unless there's a good sale before that.