When labor strife messes with your plans

Reply

May 15th, 2014, 04:41 AM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,125
When labor strife messes with your plans

So I'm due to fly to Iceland middle of next week, and then on to Zurich on Saturday. My plans are perfect, and we were pretty excited about flying Icelandair, and adding a couple days in Reykjavik to our Swiss trip.

Only now I find out that the Icelandair pilots have already had a 1 day strike, and they are threatening more. Including a 3 day strike which will cover the day I'm supposed to fly to Switzerland. Icelandair promises to try and get everyone on flights, but there just aren't that many flights that are not operated by Icelandair.

I've done a little research about what flights are available, so I'll try to be prepared for whatever happens.

The bummer is my first hotel, in Luczern, is the one I pre-paid because the non-refundable rate was so much better. If I end up stuck in iceland, I will lose the money there. And that was, I think, the ONLY hotel I booked non-refundable. Oh well, I suppose those are the risks you take,

I don't know if I'm asking a question here. Mostly just venting...Maybe nothing will come of this, but I hate when things like this mess with carefully laid plans. Anybody else have a story where labor strife messed with your holiday? What did you do?
china_cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2014, 04:52 AM
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,753
Sorry to hear about your predicament but I wouldn't be upset about an extra day or two in Iceland
sparkchaser is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2014, 05:04 AM
  #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 548
First of all, a threatened strike may well be sabre rattling, and may not come off. There's a threatened strike on 31st May with Aer Lingus in Ireland but I reckon it'll be averted at the last minute.

I do sympathise. I have had about 10 trips to Greece and every one of them has been disrupted in some way by a strike or a threatened strike. We've had days stuck on the quaysides of islands waiting for ferries that didn't arrive, days stuck in airports for planes that didn't take off, and have paid for ferry tickets to avoid strikes, only to find the strike called off at the last minute. It's as stressful as you want it to be, to be honest.

It's a nuisance, but you learn to go with the flow. Your travel insurance should cover you for some of the loss - although there may be an excess charge. Come up with a contingency plan, and then - because you've no choice than just to go with the flow - try to relax. What you do during a delay can make good travel stories when you get home!
ter2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2014, 06:59 AM
  #4
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,125
You;re right, Sparkchaser, there are worse things than an extra day in Iceland...although I worry that I will have no plans, and we'll be stuck waiting at the whim of the airline and won't be able to go anywhere.

ter2000, your advice is well taken...I know I should just go with the flow. I will try not to stress. I'm cautiously optimistic that this strike will be averted, or postponed. The Iceland legislature is putting out a bill making the strike illegal...though not sure if that will actually stop it or not. But lots of things can happen. I will definitely try to have a positive view....not much else I can do.

There is an easyjet flight out, daily to Basel in the late afternoon. That wouldn't be too bad, and its cheap. I was tempted to actually book it for Friday so I have that in my back pocket. But my husband was not thrilled with the easyjet idea (he's concerned about how uncomfortable the plane will be...he's really fussy about flights).

there's a lufthansa flight that leaves after midnight (so early Saturday morning) that would get us to Zurich a few hours earlier than the iCelandair flight. That wouldn't be the best, because we hate red-eyes (heck....the main reason we're using Icelandair and staying over is because we avoid the overnight flights), but that would offer the least disturbance to our other plans.

will just have to wait and see. Thanks for letting me vent here.
china_cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,125
thanks for your sympathy dulciusexasperis. Much appreciated.
china_cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:17 PM.