Reload this Page >

When is the best time to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 01:36 PM
cgc

<BR>I have lived in Northeast (USA) where the coming of the autum leaves (aside from the wonderful places) is a main attraction. If you are a lover of Robert Frost's poems, you will enjoy the autum better (or even endure the cold winter) of New England; or, if you lived there, you may learn to appreciate the New England captured in Robert Frost's poems. <BR> <BR>When I lived in Baltimore, as a student, the coming of spring -- with life emerging again -- also heightens the feeling of being alive. Many Southern states are also at their best during spring. It is my favorite time of the year. At this time of the year, how would one not be awed by the beauty of the Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC early April (or late March)? <BR> <BR>I met a woman from Holland when I was in London and she intimated I should visit her country also during (late) spring when the tulips are in bloom. Visiting the Grand Canyon in Arizona late November (boy, was it still hot!) seemed to have been a good compromize. I wondered if I would have enjoyed it as much during summer (although I think it would have been an experience to see the desert bloom during spring). <BR> <BR>But, I was glad I visited England during the summer of this year because I have enjoyed the Cambridge of E.M. Forster much more. I was able to watch a play in "Shakespeare's Globe Theater" (that would not have been possible at other times), enjoy a quiet lunch in a rustic English garden at the back of Eton College. England summer gave me a glimpse of the romantic mind of Rupert Brooke (in "The Soldier"): <BR> <BR>"If I should die, think this only of me: <BR>That there's some corner of a foreign field <BR>That is forever England." <BR> <BR>Maybe when I have visited England several times, I may even want to experience its winter so that I could understand what inspired Shelley to write "Ode to the Westwind" -- a poem so full of hope in time of bleakness. <BR> <BR>In reality, the English scenery is no match to the raw beauty of some places in the United States and other places in the world I have seen so far. Neither can it match the splendor and diversity of some tropical islands (that are still almost pristine). However, its history and literature give England magic that is a unique experience different from the eerie grandeur of the Grand Canyons. It is no wonder then that with such English fealty lived a people who once ruled a global empire where the sun never set. <BR> <BR>When then should I experience Victor Hugo's Notre Dame or Monet's France? When will Goethe's and Mozart's Germany be most alive? When would it be best to visit Michelangelo's Rome or its grandeur during Ceasar's time? <BR> <BR>Some very ordinary places I enjoyed and etched in my mind because I shared the experience with a friend or a love one. The places of my youth still instill nostalgia that make the heart beat faster when revisited. <BR> <BR>Travel and its pleasure is a state of mind. What places have you visited and when did you enjoy it the most?** Or, is there ever a bad time? <BR> <BR>Please share your experience. Thanks. <BR> <BR>CGC -- 990821 <BR> <BR>______ <BR>**Consider also the weather and the number of tourists. I would think that too many tourists detracts from the experience but a deserted place (during the dead of winter) would not be desirable place either. A bit of rain can be romantic sometimes but too much is never a desirable experience to a traveller -- the same thing with heat during summer (or lack thereof during winter). <BR> <BR>###

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 05:36 PM
April

I often I like to visit places off season, but mostly I want to say how much I enjoyed reading your posting (although I like the English scenery more than just about any where I've been). <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 08:02 AM
Dawn

I agree with you and find weather to be one the most important things when traveling. I went to Carnevale in Venice 6 years ago, and drove there from Rome. While driving there went through several mountains with snow, it was breathtaking. Have been in Venice several times, but something about the winter, it was especially beautiful. But I'm weird, I love the cold overcast days in the Fall that you just want to jump in a pile of leaves, and I love the gloriously sunny days that we spent in the Italian Lakes.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 09:39 AM
elvira

Fall and early spring are, for me, the most enjoyable times in Europe. The cooler air seems to make everything sharper (my best photos seem to be when it's been raining and cooler). Odors and aromas are stronger and more distinct; sounds seem clearer. Without the summer sun, I don't need dark sunglasses that distort colors. And, lastly, I like places where the denizens are still milling around, going about their daily business (rather than hordes of tourists spilling out of HUGE busses, hellbent for leather to see the Left Bank in 15 minutes or less). <BR>Can you tell I'm 3 weeks 4 days and 11 hours from leaving for Europe?

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 04:18 AM
Valerie

I agree with Elvira! Europe is always best in the Fall or Spring, the senses are indeed heightened by the cool air and the tourists are at a minimum. And I too, am only 4 weeks 2 days and 12 hours from taking off to Europe!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Beth Anderson

I just thought this was nice. I've been on a poems of WWI and II surfing expedition today... and this just happened to come up. <BR> <BR>I thought it was refreshing. (that, and it's REALLY hot and muggy out today... this thought of spring makes me smile.) <BR> <BR>Beth