Reload this Page >

When is Amsterdam tulip season?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Tiny Tim

Anyone have an educated guess as to the latest possible time this season I could visit Amsterdam and still see the tulips? thanks

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:30 AM
mdr

I visited the 3rd week of April last year. The garden/park (I've forgotten the name, starts with a "K"...) was still if full bloom; the fields were about half gone. So, maybe through April?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:56 AM
patg

Most flowering bulbs have about ten days of peak bloom if it stays reasonably cool and moist. The gardens at Keukenhof are planted in a series of early, mid and late season bloomers. The earliest flowering (crocus, scilla, snowdrops) would generally be late March; daffodils peak in April and the latest tulips are finished by mid-May. I think Keukenhof closes May 25, but I would not wait until that late in the season.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:58 AM
scigirl

I was also there last year at the end of April (2000). At that time everthing was in bloom - it was spectacular. I think that the length of the season depends very much on the weather that year.<BR><BR>Here is the offical website:<BR><BR>www.keukenhof.nl/ <BR><BR>I recall being told that generally the gardens are open until mid-May or so. At the time the local fields were also full of tulip crops - wide bands of yellow, then red, then pink, growing just like corn in a field. <BR><BR>I think this year is also the year for Floridae (sorry - I can't recall the specific name) a once every 10 year event celebrating flowers. A search for netherlands, or flowers, on this website should turn up some related threads.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Sjoerd

First, the tulip fields are not in Amsterdam but outside the city. You need to travel approximately 20 miles/30 kilometers SW of Amsterdam. The flower park is called De Keukenhof www.keukenhof.nl Keukenhof just opened last weekend and will stay open until end of May. Best time for tulips is mid to end-April, but Keukenhof makes sure that whenever they are open they have some in bloom. <BR>De Floriade is only once every 10 years and will open in a week and stay open for 6 months. www.floriade.nl<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jocko

Get a life, chump.