Reload this Page >

When is a Recommendation Out of Date?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:28 AM
A.M.

Hello,<BR>Sometimes a person will ask a question about, for example, a hotel that I have stayed at in the past, possibly over a year ago. Will my answer still be relevent even after a certain period of time? When is an answer "out of date?"<BR>A.M. wondering.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:32 AM
james

The recommendation is definitely out of date when it is passed on too you!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:35 AM
james

The recommendation is definitely out of date the minute it is passed on to you! This is law no.1.<BR><BR> Law no.2 states that if you take up the recommendation, the hotel will be shockingly awful.<BR><BR> Law no.3 states that the original recommendation 'giver' lied in the first place to impress you, because they couldn't afford somewhere decent!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:44 AM
Ellen

I think it depends on the aspects discussed. Some things like location never change -- a given hotel will always be the same distance from specific attractions or train stations, for instance. <BR><BR>Next-least-likely to change are the room sizes and general atmosphere of the neighborhood. The features that can be fastest-changing are those that deal with food, quality of service, and whether the rooms are in good condition. And information about rates is always inaccurate!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:13 AM
Marc David Miller

A recommendation is out of date when the facts change--a small museum could be wonderful, but if there is a new director after 30 years who has strange theories on how to present an exhibition it could be a nightmare, a bad restaurant might have a new chef (or even waiter!) who now knows how to serve the public, a hotel could be next to a new construction site (or even the latest strip for ladies of the night).<BR><BR>I take recommendations as guidelines--if I see the same restaurant mentioned in several books, then I think it was ok, and probably still is. Same for hotel, although I would say that hotels are more stable in that regard.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:31 PM
gonzo-al34

hey! any recommendation is a good one, as long as it's a freebie. james hits the spot, but sometimes it works, usually when the place is realllly expensive. its the cheapoz that change with the wind

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
cindy

as long as you qualify your information ("I stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and it was great) it sounds fine to me. I'm afraid that often people forget to include this kind of information when<BR>giveing recommendation. I'm glad you brough this up

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:48 PM
Bob

If you come to this site all you are looking for is recommendations. Take em all at face value and then do your research. <BR><BR>No trip or hotel is perfect and many times you end up laughing and remembering the "surprises" on your trip more so than some expensive meal in a stuffy 5 star eatery. Just travel and enjoy!