Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When in Rome - where do we leave the car?

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Marge

A car is a mixed blessing. For our 3 days in Rome beginning 5 April, can we leave the car at a train station, or must we look for a hotel with parking available? We have rooms at the Best Western Hotel Aris Garden. Any info on that? Thanks. Marge

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 02:27 AM
Denise

Hi Marge, Why are you even considering driving in Rome? Leave your car at the airport and catch the train in.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 04:20 AM
Marge

Hi, Denise. We are flying in and out of Munich, not Rome. Can we leave the car at the airport anyway, maybe with the Hertz ofice? Thanks, Marge

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 04:38 AM
Maira

The hotel should be able to direct you as far as parking. Ask them ahead of time. A number of hotels in Rome do have parking deals. Case in point, we stayed at the Sheraton Roma and they had parking facilities for free and a shuttle bus that would drop you right in front of the Roman forum Area.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 05:56 AM
John

Marge, the Hotel is not in the city of Rome. It is on the outskirts south of the airport. It looks like the hotel is 15-20 miles from Rome. The hotel adverises it has parking for 100 cars. You can check with them for the cost. Also ask if they have a shuttle bus into Rome and the times. If you drive into Rome, there are parking garages. I stayed in a hotel near the Termini RR station and parking cost $25 per day.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 09:56 AM
Richard

Marge, I think all the above resposes have merit. I would call Hertz and see what arrangements could be made for using their lot at the airport, there is a train from the airport to the Termini. Next, I would find a hotel in Rome, yours is out of Rome proper and you'll be wasting time on transportation in and out of Rome and 3 days is not a lot of time to see Rome

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Bob

I have a love-hate relationship with Rome, in love with the city, but detesting it because the car was broken into two days running. (Fortunately, not stolen!) I was close to the train station, NOT a good place to leave a car, especially overnight. Personally, I would be willing to pay to stay in a hotel with secure parking next time. Had I have been in Rome alone, I wouldn't have had a car - it's not needed in the city itself.