When in Rome do as the Romans.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend, my mom, and I are headed to Rome and Florence on 15 March. This is my second visit to Rome, the first for mom and Charline. Here is my question: Is it frowned upon, during lunch and dinner, to not order several courses? Is it okay to split courses?

On my first visit to Rome with my husband in 2002, we quickly learned that we did not need to eat so much, but wanted to try everything and started splitting courses and sometimes not ordering a particular course. The waiters seem okay with it, but several grimaced when we asked. My mom is a very light eater and I am determined to keep the inevitable weight gain to a minimum. I know we will get plenty of exercise walking and climbing stairs, but will we be okay doing this. I don't want us to come off as ill-mannered. When I travel, I do like to participate in the cultural norms of a place, but I am older and the metabolism is not what it used to be!

Thanks, Fodorites, for any guidance and advice. You guys are the best!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM

It's always fine not to order the entire string of courses - no one will have a problem with that.

Splitting dishes is something I just don't personally feel comfortable with in most places in Europe, Rome included. But I will often just order an antipasto and a primo piatto and my traveling companion will order an antipasto, a primo, and a secondo and I'll have a taste of the latter. No one minds if you want to taste someone else's meal, but the whole thing of asking for two plates and for them to divide up a plate....well, I just can't bring myself to do that.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM

First, you definitely don't need to order every course. As far as I've noticed, not even many Italians do that. DH and I usually order just 2 courses (and usually have a dessert of gelato elsewhere), unless we're really hungry!

I've occasionally split dishes with DH, but I feel more comfortable doing so if we're also ordering other dishes. And, come to think of it, we've only done that at lunch time. For example, we'll each order a main course, but share an antipasto or a pasta. Nobody's seemed to have problems with that.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM

My sister and I shared courses in Rome.

We would have our own salad then share a pasta or meat dish. I thinks things are more casual now and people arent eating as much.

Then there is more room for gelato.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Many romans order one dish between 2 for example one pasta (uno entre due) but then they typically will get something else like a second or a vegetable or even coffee and dessert. After living in Rome for some time I think local roman restaurants tend to serve smaller portions so folks can order other things. I don't get the sense that romans only order one thing but if you leave a tip -- no one will mind - as Italians tip very little or not at all!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM

It is considered a little cheap to split dishes here in Europe. But you are not forced to eat everything up that´s on your plate.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Petunia and Karen, thank you for your comments.

Petunia - Thanks for the Italian words to order one dish for two. Since you live in Rome, can you advise us on your favorite local restaurants?

Thank you so much!