Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When exactly did you fall in love with Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading Jocelyn's trip report and got to thinking about the exact moment I fell in love with Paris. It was on my first trip, it rained the entire time, except at night. One night after dinner we walked from the Bastille to the Arc de Triomphe, discovering things along the way. It was then that I knew that I was hooked.
Others?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I think I fell in love with Paris before I ever even got there.

Honestly it was the moment that I arrived in the city for the first time and ascensded the stairs of the metro at St. Michel/Notre Dame station. There were my DH and I, one rolling carry on bag each, finding our own way to our hotel. It was lighly misting and chilly and we were so thrilled that we even stopped for a capuccino and espresso before making it to the hotel! Ahhh....memories. (sigh)
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Nice question.
I went to Paris somewhat enthusiastically the first time, I was going with friends and I didn't object to going, but I had only been to Europe once before and I had never longed to go to Paris. We were there for a week, and there was a metro strike.

I don't think I had a thunderbolt of a moment, it was just after a few days that I felt 'at home', I loved the food and the art and the architecture and the history and the aloofness and the courtesy and the pastry.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:41 AM

I posted to soon.
My moment might have been seeing 'Winged Victory' at the top of the staircase at the Louvre, that clinched the deal.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:07 AM

In my teens and I was artsy. Renaissance art - beautiful but didn't sing to me - the impressionists did, led by Manet and Degas. As a 12-year old I drew his ballet dancers. One thing led to another, my personal fascination with Napoleon and Josephine..the Musketeers (movies here...) and then...voila...food, cheese and WINE.
CDG doesn't tackle my heart, nor the ride to Paris...but once off whatever transport... I'm home!
Maybe its a past life recognition thingy.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:13 AM
ira

>When exactly did you fall in love with Paris?<

June 13, 1971 at 11:48 AM.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:19 AM

It only happened on my third trip.
The first two took place in 94 & 95, were each only 4 days long and came after long trips to Holland (94) and Sweden (95). I felt underwhelmed but still wanted to go back, probably in order to find out the "secret" of Paris.
I finally visited again in Setpember 2003, and this time fell in love with Paris. I remember just walking the streets, saying to myself outloud how wonderful this city is. I was there for 10.5 days and then came back for 12 more days in September 2004, without taking even one daytrip. Next time I'm forcing myself to see more than just Paris , and will spend 7 days in Angers as well as 3 days in Paris. Just 2 more months to go.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Believe it or not, it took four trips.

The first was when I was 15 and traveling with a high school group, and the second was about 10 years later with my mother and brother. Both were nice visits, but hot (July), crowded, and very rushed. I visited Paris, but didn't really experience it.

The third was a business trip. I was pregnant and tired and seriously averse to seafood (which made several of the business meals very difficult), and all I wanted to do was sleep.

The fourth was just a few months later -- also a business trip. But this time, I had several opportunities to get out and just walk -- along the Seine and the Ile Saint-Louis, through the Marais and the Luxembourg Gardens. It was fall, crisp and clear, and the leaves were changing. I think resting on the grass in the Place des Vosges, soaking it all in, is what did it for me. That, and my small top-floor room at the Pont Royal, which had a view out over the rooftops with the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

After that, I made sure to get mr_go back there with me at the first possible opportunity, and we've had a few wonderful trips since. I think it might be time to go again....
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM

The first time I saw the Metro cross the Seine with the Eiffel Tower in the background. It occurred to me then that this city is perfect.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I fell in, then out, then back in love with Paris.

I fell in love with Paris when I studied there as a teenager. That was so long ago, that I've forgotten the exact moment that clinched it for me. Unfortunately, I had a very negative experience toward the end of my stay. I'm not sure that I fell <i>out</i> of love exactly, but it took me more than 20 years to get up the nerve to return.

But I remember watching the millenium celebrations in 1999/2000 and when they showed the Eiffel Tower, my heart ached and I knew I had to go back. I was a little anxious about returning, but my husband had never been to Paris and really wanted to go.

He says he fell in love with the city the very first morning. We took the Air France bus to the Etoile and then found a cafe on rue MacMahon for breakfast. As we sat there eating croissants and drinking really really good coffee, gazing toward the Arc de Triomphe, DH said, &quot;Yep. I love it here&quot;. We hadn't been in the city for more than 15 minutes!

On that same trip, we spent a delightful afternoon wandering around the 7eme and browsing at a brocante fair. We stopped by cafe for a drink and ordered Beaujolais. It was quite warm out and the Beaujolais was cool and refreshing. There was a street band playing nearby. And that's when I realized that I had fallen back in love with Paris.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:04 AM

I can hardly imagine it now, but I didn't fall in love with Paris on my first trip! My first trip to Paris was at the end of a 6-week marathon through 8 countries of Europe with 6 college friends. We were tired, it was hot and we had just come from Italy, which I loved. Paris was a blur and to this day, I can't remember much of what we did that trip.
Ten years later, I returned to Paris. It was love at second sight when we arrived by taxi from the airport and passed through the arches of the Louvre on our way to the Left Bank at sunrise. And I have been in unremitting love ever since.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:10 AM

My very first trip there, as I approached Notre Dame from the rear facade and slowly made my way to the square in front. My heart was thumping - I was in the presence of something iconic. I felt very far from home and yet right at home.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Before ever arriving here, when I was about eleven and my parents wanted me to learn Spanish... the practical choice for a Californian, n'est-ce pas?
I insisted on French, I don't even know where that demand came from, but I came here for the first time at 15, returned for college, and now I am back raising my family.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM

The first time I walked to the Eiffel Tower, it was a late February afternoon,it was freezing cold and I was in awe of its beauty. I fell in love with Paris in a moment.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM

The first time I traveled there solo. I went on a package trip all over Europe with my husband and really did not even begin to experience Paris. The second time was with my husband and we tried to go by the guidebook and cram it all in.

Then I discovered traveling solo and just wandering. I stayed in the Denfert-Rochereau area near rue Daguerre. It was so different and not touristly. I sat at the corner cafe outside every afternoon on rue Daguerre and drank wine and watched people shop.
I fell completely in love.

This next trip in the fall I am going back to this same very budget hotel and rue Daguerre and continue the &quot;affair&quot;.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM

two years ago, on about our sixth visit. don't know why it took so long!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:38 AM

On my first visit, riding in a taxi from the train station to our hotel.

We drove along the Seine, passed Notre Dame and I saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance. It was wonderful.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM

In (I think) 1999 we took the chunnel to Paris, found our hotel and though we were exhausted my BF insisted on going to Trocadero to see the Eiffel Tower. He had not been to Paris either. It was very warm, perhaps 70 degrees (unusual heat wave in London &amp; France) and it was Valentine's Day. It was about 9:00PM and magical looking across the fountains to the Tower. This was before the sparking lights were added. When we returned to the hotel, Casablanca was on television..in English! How could I not fall in love with Paris!!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM
alg

Last year, my first visit. We took a taxi from CDG. It was very early on a Saturday morning, the city had just started to stir, and as we sped along the streets in the 6th to our hotel I immediately wished we were staying longer than 5 days. I can't wait to return this Sept.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM

First trip. Took the metro from our hotel to Place de la Concorde and while walking up the Champs toward the Arc de Triomphe, we stopped at one of the food stands, bought a baguette with cheese and sat on a nearby bench eating and watching the people and traffic. I remember thinking &quot;It's everything I thought it would be and more,&quot; and wondering why I had never in my life tasted bread that good! That began my love affair with the City of Light!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -