What's Up With Elderhostels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I've been in a coma, but just started seeing Elderhostel's being mentioned as a budget travel option.

Are they common in Europe? If so, where are most of them located? Anybody have some experience with them? Are we talking 1 star type digs?

And just how old do you have to be to stay in one?

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I <i>think</i> you are pulling our leg - but just in case - - - Elderhostel isn't &quot;hostels&quot;. It is a non-profit tour company that concentrates on programs geared to seniors

http://www.elderhostel.org/

sometimes they stay in hostels, sometimes not.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I don't consider Elderhostel a budget option. My mother went on an Elderhostel trip to Sorrento, Naples and the Amalfi Coast. She said it was extremely well organized and very informative; the hotel was pleasant and the food good. But it was not what I would call cheap...

According to the Web site, their programs are for people 55 and over.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's an organized tour company for people 55+. My friend goes with them often. They are more educationally and culturally focused (as opposed to 7 cities in 7 days). It is not particularly a &quot;budget&quot; option but it is a respected company.

Oops, oh dear, I get it... Degas... you're pulling our leg again!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM

&quot;I guess I've been in a coma, but just started seeing Elderhostel's being mentioned as a budget travel option.&quot;

Nah, Degas, you're just getting older. Once you hit a certain age, you get their attention, and you'll see more and more of their promos.

I'm starting to push 50, and the other day I was horrified and depressed to receive, via snail mail, an application to join the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons, for you Europeans on the board). Bummer!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Degas, ol' boy:

I am a long-time faculty member of a Ventura, Ca. Elderhostel provider (Center for Studies of the Future). EH is very much alive and an excellent way for people over 55 to travel, both in US and Canada, and the rest of the world.
I do most of my teaching domestically..I teach six different history courses, and I find the &quot;students&quot; well-read, bright, friendly, fun-loving and very young for their age. Anyone deciding to join up with an Elderhostel offering, please do..it's a great organization(since 1975)and the overseas programs are wonderful, well-planned, decent lodgings, great guides and of course, a fascinating local faculty. I'm biased, obviously. But when you turn 55 in 20 years or so, maybe you and the Mrs. will attend one of mine...I'll treat you as a favored nation!

Stu T.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

A good frient of mine did an Elderhostel to the Black Sea in September and thought it terrific.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

I was actually being serious. Boy, was I ever mixed up. Those programs do look very interesting, but not really budget by my measure.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM

The local Elderhostels are sometimes affordable, but I agree that many are not--although lodgings are usually quite good, and there are discounted airfares--most meals are included as well. Have you looked at the on-line catalogue?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Just a note of caution based on secondhand reports. A couple of mature friends have dome Elderhostel here in Paris, a few years apart. In the first case, there was an impression of something less than 100 percent organization. In the second case, there was a remark about too much time on foot. Atypical, maybe. Perhaps someone with firsthand experience in Paris will join the conversation.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Just did my first Elderhostel in June to Seattle, Victoria, and the San Juan Islands for 9 days. I had a great trip and thought the price was comparable to other trips but definately not super budget.
The Elderhostel trips include just about everything--the San Juan Island hotel even had sandwich fixings to take with us on our last day there.
Faith
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM

The Elderhostel program listings very carefully detail the amount of walking required; additional information can be requested from a representative.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Jed

We have done several Elderhostels. They are not cheap, but certainly less than other organizations which use 4 and 5* accommodations. One of the attractions is the emphasis on education and lectures, rather than glitz and shopping. You don't go for the food or pampering. Sometimes the management of the trip is less than optimal, but usually very good. We just did one in Italy, and are scheduled for Russia next year.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM

In addition to the above info, there are oftentimes elderhostel programs for grandparent/grandchildren. My mother took my son on a few elderhostel programs when he was younger - terrific experiences for the both of them! Memorymaking for him as well as educational...
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM

There are hundreds of Elderhostel trips, a few are budget, but most are not, particularly the international tours.

I've done two, one was wonderful the other was disappointing with many dissatisfied participants. I'd made my own air arrangements but a few who had not said it cost more than if they'd done it themselves, so maybe sometimes there are airfare discounts and sometimes not.

Another variable is the number of participants, so if you like to travel with a small group inquire about the limit before you register.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Thanks Underhill, I consulted the Elderhostel Paris site, which says the program involves walking up to two hours per day. Yikes! I suspect there are plenty of less than elder folks who wouldn't sign on to that. But the warning is clear and up front.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:05 AM

They are indeed well organised. On two trips in Britain eight years ago they used chiefly student rooms, with bath and toilet en suite, sometimes ith stairs. People walked up to an hour a day in all, but not non-stop, more in twenty minute packages around castles and other places.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM

&quot;. . . the program involves walking up to two hours per day. Yikes! I suspect there are plenty of less than elder folks who wouldn't sign on to that.&quot;

Huh? You mean there are people who do go to Paris and DON'T walk at least 2 hours a day? I can't imagine that.

I have several friends who have done elderhostel programs, particularly theatre ones -- a week at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival or Stratford, Ontario, for example. They love the programs and consider than great bargains.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I've attended 3 EH program in the US. No, it's not a 1*, more like 3-4* but not a central location. All meals are included, some free time scheduled, and usually they have some evening activities what the commercial tours don't have.

In the US, yes, it's a budget option. Usually. In Europe it's not. Cosmos tour groups are much, much cheaper... maybe the cost of meals? Who knows!

As for the age... when I turned 50 and got the AARP membership, I've tried to register with EH. They turned me down telling to grow up So I called the 800 number in Boston to stop the paper catalogues. They said, no need, just sign up somebody at home (husband, parent) so the household will qualify, then join a program on your own.

And yes, I agree, the Elderhostelers are a different kind, they are like us, only older: well read, adventurous, interesting to talk to.

Try one good EH program - you'll get addicted! And they have different difficulties' programs - 4 or 5 degrees of difficulty from classes to bicycles.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM

If you injure a leg ,NeoPatrick, you won't have to imagine not walking 2 hours a day in Paris--you'll be able to try it out. Not everyone is spry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -