Whats Tuscany like in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Rome and Tuscany this December. What will the weather be like??? Help!!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM

That is a good question! I also am interested in the weather in Italy in December. Is it to cold, or should I change my plans?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Go to

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

and enter the dates of your visit. It will give you the historical record of the last ten years, but with global warming, weather has become pretty unpredictable everywhere. Last winter, for example, was unusually mild in Italy; I would not necessarily expect that to be the case this winter.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I lived in Florence as a student and I recall experiencing many cold rainy days there. But that was before 'global warming'! LOL
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM

We were there two winters ago...in late January/early February rather than December. Was it cold? Oh, yeah. Were we sorry? Oh, no!

I imagine December isn't nearly as cold. The only place we were really uncomfortable was Florence. Rome and Venice were mild by comparison. I can't say whether colder Florence translates to colder Tuscany. All I know is it was too cold to be outside and we feel like we really short-changed Florence.

That said, it was delightful not having to abide long lines and crowded streets. It's unimaginable that hot pizza tastes as good in summer! Days are shorter, but Roman gas-lit streets are so romantic anyway.

Watch the weather and pack accordingly. Good gloves, a long scarf, silk long underwear, boots. Don't even THINK about cancelling. You'll love every minute.