What's to see on the road?

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:03 PM
Julie

What's to see on the road?

My husband and I are driving from Zurich to Lake Lugano but not sure which is the most scenic route. Any suggestions? Also any good recommendations for a hotel for one night in Zurich? Many thanks!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 02:15 PM
janis

Julie: helpful hint -- you might get better response if you re-post with a title that identifies where you are asking about.

Something like "Most scenic route from Zurich to Lugano?"

Your current title doesn't give a hint of what road - or even what COUNTRY - you are asking about

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:05 PM
doug

Have made that exact drive with a Swiss. He took the most direct route and it was fantastic. When we got to the pass (the name escapes me but it's the big pass before you get to Italy)we went over the top rather than go through the tunnel. That is the only diversion we took. Can't give you the exact route.
(If nothing else this will top for you and someone can give you some details.)

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:44 AM
LindaS

Hi Julie, I don't think you can miss. I'd say the pass was Gotthard (there is also a tunnel) & that is gorgeous, but I must say the most beautiful way to Lugano is very roundabout thru St Moritz & down the Malojca Pass..that is the most beautiful road to me...and a short detour to Soglio. While in Lugano, go up into the mountain valleys for great off the beaten track days.
Enjoy, Switzerland is fabulous...one day you'll have to go to the Bernese Oberland, which is so incredible.
Linda

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:00 AM
Susan

Julie: If you drive through the Gotthard tunnel to Lugano, be sure to stop in Bellinzona on your way. I believe it's about an hour or less north of Lugano. It's a small town with medieval walls running through it and three spectacular castles. Have a great trip! We'll be there next week.