Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's there to do in Zermatt? Temperature in Aug? Hotel Daroil?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Jack

Do we need a jacket in Zermatt in Aug? What's the weather like? What do you know about the hotel Daroli? What activities are there do to?

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 02:05 PM
Bob Brown

If you plan on taking any of the rides to higher altitudes, I think you will want a jacket. Afterall, the Gornergrat station is at about 9,000 feet or so. <BR>I was there in September and it snowed on us at the higher elevations. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 03:26 PM
Nicole

Jack, <BR> <BR>I've been to Zermatt twice, in July (10 years ago) and in early September (2 years ago). Both times it varied between warm and cool weather. I remember during my most recent trip in Sept.'97, the days were sunny and warm (70's) and we wore short sleeves, but the nights got cool and we wore a light jacket. If you go to higher elevations, as the previous poster said, it can get cold...but I think a light jacket is all you need, as you can always layer shirts if it gets colder than usual. <BR> <BR>For things to do...there are tons of shops in town, plus nice restaurants and bars. Just strolling through the streets taking pictures is fun and can take an afternoon. There is a small mountain climbing museum also. If you like to hike, there are plenty of hiking trails. <BR>For sure you have to go up one of the two most popular mountain ascents, the Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat. The Klein Matterhorn ascent is a series of cable cars up to the highest ski lift in the alps, where you can view spectacular vistas. The Gornergrat is another popular ascent, by rail I believe (I did it 10 years ago). <BR> <BR>There's a great website on Zermatt at http://www.ski-zermatt.com, by a person that lives there, and it will give you lots of info. If you'd like to see our photos of our last trip there, please visit our personal travelogue at http://www.lunadesigns.com/travels/. I've been lucky enough to travel throughout Europe, and Zermatt is one of my all-time favorite places.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 03:38 PM
Bob Brown

At 3 PM today, the Klein Matterhorn was 28 degrees F; the Gornergrat was 36 degrees F; and Zermatt itself was 46. <BR>You can figure from that how warm you will be with a light jacket. At 28 degrees, I am cold without a jacket. But, I live in the southeast. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 04:05 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hello - I love Zermatt. And last year in July it was very chilly at night walking around town. Warm days tho. And cold/windy up in the mountains viewing the Matterhorn.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 04:04 AM
Julie

In July or August a few years back, we took the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt and loved the slow ride through the mts. While in Zermatt we took the ride to the top of the mt and brought along jackets, pants, etc. We got off the gondola thing part way down and stripped off the outer layer to shorts and T-shirts and walked the rest of the way down -- had a small backpack with lunch and stopped on a hill overlooking the village -- brings back fabulous memories just writing about it! <BR> <BR>Don't know about the hotel mentioned.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 04:08 AM
Mary Ann

We were in Murren 2 years ago in late July. Although that gets up to over 10,000 feet. We went up early from murren to the top of schlithorn and even though it was sunny and gorgeous, you needed a jacket. Generally, gondola rides are cheaper earlier but even then, we wore shorts.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Al

My wife and I rode the Gornergrat railway to the top and hiked down, taking the better part of a day, stopping at little kiosks for refreshments, and admiring the wooly marmots along the way. These animals look like giant prairie dogs, stand up and stare at you, and whistle when there is an alarm. Beautiful walk with the Matterhorn in view most of the time. Be sure to wear hiking shoes. Path is well marked and quite easy to walk.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 10:40 AM
Marla

Jack, <BR>We visited Zermatt last may for 3 nights. Prior to Zermatt, we stayed four nights in Interlaken. Zermatt is beautiful with the Matterhorn overlooking everything you do. However, there wasn't as much to see and do, IMO, as in the Berner Oberland area. <BR> <BR>We walked around the town, checked out the buildings, shopped and hiked some. In May, most of the hiking trails above the town were still closed due to the record setting snowfall last winter. <BR> <BR>The views of the Matterhorn were astounding! It was amazing--- we would be walking through town, window-shopping, when passersby would whip out their cameras and quickly snap the peak before it was surrounded by clouds! <BR> <BR>If the "peak" is always hiding behind the clouds. Watch the weather forecast for a cloudless night, get up the next morning early (6-7 am.) and check out the mountain. I learned this from a previous poster on this site. On the morning we departed, we were up at 6:00 and were treated to a beautiful sunrise. The sun hits the peak of the Matterhorn first, (before Zermatt) and works its way down the mountain. It was beautiful. We left Zermatt on the 8:15 am train and the peak was already starting to disappear in the clouds. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Hotel Julen, but I read good things about the Hotel Daroli on another website. <BR>