Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the weather in Scotland like in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:16 AM
Micki

My mother and I are planning a trip to Scotland in May 2001. I've posted other questions on this forum and received many helpful suggestions. My question this time concerns the weather. We are wondering what type of clothing to bring with us. Do we need a heavy coat or will a cardigan sweater be enough?

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Sheila

Micki <BR> <BR>It will be variable. The answer is to layer. It should not be colder han about 8-10 degrees, but could be as warm as 19-20. It could rain. It could be glorious. Lightweight layers are definitely the answer.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:46 AM
frank

Variable, which is good, as it won't settle bad, but might settle good.End of May is usually good, max 25C but more likely mixed.Light rainwear.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:45 PM
steve

Was there in '99. Didn't see anything near 25C - nearer 25F. Actually it was probably about 55-60F with rain the first couple of days and then partly cloudy for the next week. <BR> <BR>It was quite a bit colder in Scotland than it was in England - at least 10F colder

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:36 PM
KT

Also, be aware that, due to the mountains and currents and things like that, Scotland has a lot of micro-climates. It can be grey and wet in one place while it's sunny and (relatively) warm not all that far away. You just layer and roll with it....