Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the straight scoop on car rental insurance coverage in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:20 AM
Terri

Help Fodorites! I read conflicting posts about this-- credit cards do/don't cover you in Italy, gold/platinum cards will/won't cover, Citibank will but Amex won't, etc., etc. Could any of you who have had actual experience please advise me? Would really appreciate this info for an upcoming trip. Thanks. Terri.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
annoyed

How about this: Contact your credit card company and ask THEM!?!? If you dont feel like dialing a phone, read your Credit Card Agreement...

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:46 AM
Sherry

Terri: e-mail me if you like and I will try to help you or at least point you in the right direction (I hope)

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Patrick

This subject has been beaten to death on this forum, but once again the big question to try to get from your credit card company is: so if the credit card company covers major damage, how is it taken care of? Will the car rental agency bill the entire damage to the credit card and what kinds of forms or paperwork will be necessary to get that charge taken off. If you have a $10,000 limit on the card and the damage is more than that -- like a totaled car for example, what happens? Who handles the paperwork? I can't imagine returning a wrecked car to Avis or having one towed in as junk and having Avis say, "no problem, I see you have gold card coverage, just go merrily on your way and we'll bill the credit card company for the damage." So far virtually everyone who says they don't take the insurance and it was no problem, have not had any major damage. In my opinion the insurance is for the unlikely event of major expense, so how will it be taken care of? I have never been able to get these specific questions answered satisfactorily by my credit card companies, both American Express and Citibank Platinum Card, so I continue taking the full coverage for peace of mind. And so far every rental agency has told me the same thing, "if you decline the CDW we will bill you for any damage and it will be up to you to collect from your credit card company." <BR>Here's hoping however that you can get a more satisfactory answer from your credit card company.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:25 PM
Santa Chiara

I don't want to add to the confusion, but I am confused myself. My understanding--and perhaps mistakenly so--is that the reason that car rentals are so expensive in Italy is because you have to buy complete coverage, no matter your credit card situation, and that coverage overrides everything else. I do know that I have rented numerous times, and no one ever checked the car beforehand with me, nor did I ever sign anything about scratches or dents or other damage to the car prior to driving it out of the lot. Now, that might just be an Italian thing . . . . <BR> <BR>Also, I have returned a car with a fairly good scrape on the side (received in a parking lot while I was away from the car). It just so happened that I returned it after hours, so just dropped the key in the slot, fully expecting to hear from them later about damages. Never heard a thing. So again, I am thinking that perhaps you have complete coverage, although I also understand part of the high price of renting cars in Italy is protection against the high incidence of theft. If anyone has the definitive answer (Paulo, god of all things Italian?), I would love to hear it.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Terri

Thank you, Patrick and others, for your valuable and insightful information. Apparently I'm not the only one with a question about this. <BR>I will ignore the stupid comment of "annoyed" -- obviously afraid to use a name. Terri.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:31 AM
mari

Terri, I did call my credit card company and it is still confusing. The American Express card does not cover any insurance in Italy, but my Visa does, or at least they say it does. Then when you call the rental company and tell them that, they say it doesn't matter because when you go to pick up the car in Italy they make you take insurance anyway or they will not release the car. What you (and I) really want is to hear from someone with actual experience renting in Italy - no annoyed people need respond and no preaching either - just some real information. Maybe Sherry could provide us with some insight.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Terri

Mari, <BR>What's with these credit card companies? Like you,I'm getting the same runaround, depending on which clerk takes the call. Please-- has anyone out there had to deal with a claim after an accident/major damage in Europe? Thanks

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Sherry

Terri...no I have never had an accident. I would not depend on a clerk to clarify my credit card company's rules. Most card companies will provide you with a membership benefits booklet that usually is very specific regarding the procedure following an accident with a rental car. For example, my MBNA Mastercard is very detailed on what to do if you are involved in an accident. It starts by listing a telephone number to contact them and which documents you need to send them and the time limit, etc. Does this make it easier when an accident occurs, I really do not know. But at least I feel there are no hidden surprises the literature is so complete. I always feel it is better to have something in writing. I am going to be renting a car in France soon, and all of this talk of accidents is making me nervous. My offer of an e-mail still stands.