Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to get from Naples airport to Sorrento on Sat, June 14 around 1:30pm?

Search

What's the best way to get from Naples airport to Sorrento on Sat, June 14 around 1:30pm?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:12 AM
Paige

Hello! <BR>My husband and I will be arriving at the Naples airport around 1:00pm on Saturday, June 14, and want to go directly to Sorrento. I've read about trains, buses and ferries but I'm wondering what the best way to go is? By 'best' I mean quickest, least trouble, flexible (incase our flight is late) but not horribly expensive. I assume hiring someone to pick us up and take us meets all but the last requirement. We won't have much luggage and can deal with it, no problem. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:01 AM
michael

Hi... My wife and I went ti Italy 2 summers ago and flew into Rome and then flew immediately into Naples, where we rented a car in Naples and drove to Sorrento. It was a 30-40 minute drive. I felt it was a lot easier than taking a train with all our luggage. <BR> <BR>we spent 3 great days in Sorrento and the area... then drove to Rome and joined a 10 tour. It was great to drive around positano and Amalfi (a little tricky with the winding roads ) <BR>Have a great time <BR>feel free to email me it you want any more info

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Paige

Thanks, Michael, but we don't want to rent a car. Does anyone know bus, train and ferry schedules? Thanks again!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Beth

As a related question...we are flying into Rome and taking a train to Naples. We need to get from Naples to Amalfi, and would like to take a car (but not our own!). Are there taxi/car drivers that sit outside the central train station in Naples or do we need to arrange in advance for a pick up?

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Carl Lindskog

Italy is one of our most favored destinations. Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are near the top of the list. In Sorrento, stay at the Hotel La Tonnarella. Senora Gargiulo runs the business. It is about a ten minute walk from the center of town and sits right on the Tryhennian Sea above the Marina Picolo. To get to Sorrento from the Naples Railroad Station, take the Circumvesuvio line. Sorrento is the last stop. Trains run quite frequently. By cab from Naples when we inquired last was $100. The train is easy. There will be plenty of taxis in Sorrento at the station. We have always used one of the Canelli family. Antonio, one of the sons, is still driving. If you’re interested and respond to this note, I’ll get his address from my file at home. He is very reliable. Hire him to drive you around the area. You’re right; do not drive yourself. Va bene!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Paulo

The best way from the aiport to Sorrento is by taxi. As Carl informed, it's quite expensive. If you happen to be ready to leave the airport by 9:30am, 3:45pm or 7:30pm, in summer there's a Circumvesuviana bus that connects the airport with Pompeii Scavi (Villa dei Misteri). From there, you may follow with the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. This avoid's Naples center. Otherwise, you'll have to take a taxi or bus to the central train station and take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, as noted by Carl. <BR> <BR>The Circumvesuviana train schedules may be found at <BR>http://www.vesuviana.it/orari.htm <BR> <BR>SITA Gulf of Naples bus schedules may be found at: <BR>http://www.uniplan.it/sita/linee.html <BR> <BR>Ferry/Hydrofoil/Catamaran schedules may be found at: <BR>http://www.lauro.it/orari2.htm <BR>http://www.snavali.com/aliscafi/gnapoli2.htm <BR>http://salerno.microsys.it/info/navibus.asp <BR> <BR>Other sites that may be checked are (I wouldn't bet my life on it): <BR>http://www.campaniatrasporti.it/ <BR>http://www.informare.it/tour/ssea/napuk.htm <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:39 AM
carol

Hi Paige, <BR> <BR>If you're booked at a hotel in Sorrento, I'd contact them and ask them to either send a taxi to pick you up at the airport, or recommend a taxi service for you to use. I'm sure they're used to these kinds of requests.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:41 AM
carol

Beth, <BR> <BR>My advice re your Amalfi hotel and pickup from Naples is the same as above. It should cost about $80-85.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Rod

I just got back from Italy and totally agree that the best way to get to Sorrento from Naples would be by train. One thing to keep in mind is this. Make sure you take the Blue Line to Sorrento from Naples. I made a huge mistake and thought I was on the blue line and was actually on the green line and was kicked off the train by the subway conductor when I learned I was in Pompeii (New) and the line ended. I took the train back to another station and switched to the Blue Line, but wasted about an hour getting to Sorrento. Have a great time!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Joanne

Hi Paige: <BR> <BR>We have done both, taxi and train. The train is great, but with luggage is sometimes difficult (once the train was full and we ended up between cars sitting as best we could on our luggage). Never went from airport to train, but just as a note the Vesuviana station is downstairs from the Naples train station and tickets can be purchased before proceeding to the track. We use the train frequently when staying in Sorrento. It is an inexpensive, very efficient way to travel. <BR> <BR>On our most recent trip (last year) my husband was tired after the flight and wanted to take a taxi. It cost about $50-60 and is a very pretty drive once out of Naples. We were swarmed with prospective drivers at the Naples Airport. Be selective about your driver and set a price before you leave. We saw our driver a day or two later in Sorrento and he bought us coffee. <BR> <BR>If I can help further, e-mail me. Joanne

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Joanne

Oops! Make that Circumvesuviana station. Incidentally, when planning for our last trip, somewhere I picked up the info that there was a bus directly from the airport to Sorrento. I posted on several forums without success. Perhaps you can do some searching and will be more fortunate than I was.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Geraldine

Hello Carl! <BR>I would be very interested in getting Antonio's contact number - e-mail or phone number. My husband,daughter and I are going to Sorrento on 30th June for 10 days. I agree with you if you can get a reliable taxi - use it. We intend to do the usual sites and I would like to hire a Antonio if possible to drive if the price it right. Thanks.