What's so great about Lucca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear many favorable comments about Lucca. Yet, when I look in guidebooks, there seems to be very little noteworthy, except for the walls. Why is the place suppossed to be so great?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:58 AM

First, it's of manageable size -- you can walk everywhere. Second, it suffered almost no damage during WW II. Third, many of its streets are so narrow that no cars or trucks can enter during the daytime. Fourth, part of the city is built within the circle of a Roman arena. Fifth, it was the home of Puccini and his home still stands. Sixth, it serves some of the best food anywhere in its small, mom-and-pop cafes and restaurants. Seventh, Lucca is an uncrowded base from which to make day trips to Pisa, Florence, Siena, etc. Eighth, it is not plagued with the hordes of tourists that jam other, more popular centers. Ninth, it gives good rail and highway connections to dozens of smaller places.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:00 AM

And the Louvre is only noteworthy for the art....
It is a very beautiful walled city in Tuscany, the birthplace of Puccini, the main piazza was once a Roman amphitheater, home to many beautiful shops, great architecture, etc.
Sorry, but I couldn't help being flip.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:44 AM

"First, it's of manageable size -- you can walk everywhere."

How is that different from Providence Rhode Island?

"Second, it suffered almost no damage during WW II."

Neither did Providence

"Third, many of its streets are so narrow that no cars or trucks can enter during the daytime."

That true of 3/4 the towns and cities of Europe.

"Fourth, part of the city is built within the circle of a Roman arena."

OK.

"Fifth, it was the home of Puccini and his home still stands."

So what? The place must be dull for that to be a big deal.

Sixth, it serves some of the best food anywhere in its small, mom-and-pop cafes and restaurants."

I doubt that you have to go to Lucca to find good food in Italy.

"Seventh, Lucca is an uncrowded base from which to make day trips to Pisa, Florence, Siena, etc."

It's actually very ackwardly located, to the north and west of Tuscany. It makes a very poor location as a base.

"Eighth, it is not plagued with the hordes of tourists that jam other, more popular centers."

This attitide makes me laugh. The reason that places become popular and touisty is precisely because there is a lot to see and do. All anyone can come up with about Lucca is that is isn't popular with tourists? Maybe he should reschedule his trip. I hear Italy has a lot of tourists. Let's see, by your standards he should probably go to Bangaldesh. I hear it's not too touristy. Or perhaps Cleveland.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Woah, Platzer, what's with the attitude this morning?

I don't think anybody has said that Lucca is the number one destination in Italy or even close to it. Using your guides, you could find something wrong with any comment about any city in the world.
Yea, OK, so Providence is worth a visit too, and even Cleveland for that matter. And Bangaldesh (sic) is certainly a fascinating place to visit. Or do you find only a handful of the most famous cities in the world worth a visit?

Let's see. Why go to Pompeii? So a bunch of people got killed in a volcano, but the whole place is in ruins and there are no decent restaurants or hotels on the grounds.
Why go to Sicily? It's the home of the mafia and a lot of rural cow pastures.
Why go to the Lakes in Italy? Basically they're just big holes in the ground that have filled up with rainwater. And they're out of the way.
Get my idea???

I didn't find Lucca so spectacular, but it was a nice little city and as pretty and interesting as nearly any other in Tuscany (except maybe San Gimingnano. Rather that simply go to the big three cities of Italy, I think it's fun to also visit a smaller city and stroll with the natives, visit shops that weren't built just for tourists, and see how the regular folk live in Italy. I don't think anybody was suggesting that touristy places be avoided, just that sometimes it's nice to visit a place that isn't all tourists!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
ira

Platzer,

Have you had your coffee yet?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:05 AM

WOW, platzer, did you have nails for breakfast, or are you always this sarcastic?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Platzer....
Your response prompted me to look you up, and I was surprised to see you recommending Lucca in another thread! I actually found most of your responses amusing and even helpful at times. You obviously do not suffer fools gladly.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Ah. Lucca. It is not about the guidebooks. It is about the feeling. Lucca is right out of a storybook. To appreciate it, you must become at one with it. Wake up under a beautiful Tuscan sun. Enjoy your espresso and croissant with the chirping birds and then stroll, jog or bike along the wall that shelters the city. Spend the day poking along the narrow streets and tiny shops. Have dinner in a square while the sun goes down. Watch the children kick a soccer ball around while their mamas chat on the stoop. Or, do what my husband did-go to the local barbershop for a shave ($3.50 euros). He doesn't speak a word of English, that old guy, but what a shave! Lucca is to be savored. Why Lucca over Siena & San Gimignano? Because it is a mixture of both cities, grabbing the best of both. My second favorite--Voltera!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Lucca is a jewel. I could live there. That should say enough but feel free to read bugswife1, again.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Sorry, but I couldn't resist: platzer = sitzplatzer.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:06 AM

saylor/platzer--Who said Lucca was great? And compared to what?

It's a nice place and worth a visit, but I don't recall folks alleging that it is the equal of Venice, Rome, or Florence in terms of sights, things to do, etc.

Looks as though you are a strawman argument aficionado, saylor.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Lucca is wonderful, it has a small town quality within its wide, encompassing walls. The beautiful Piazza Napoleone dominants the central square in Lucca, there are cafes and shops lined around the perimeter. Further up by the duomo, the adjoining piazza is filled with an open market of vendors selling lots of wonderful things - from food to towels! Puccini's home is there too, I would definitely go see that. Also, have a fabulous lunch at Da Leo Fratelli restaurant. It is off the beaten path and serves up some of the best regional cuisine I have tasted in Lucca - all at reasonable prices. I would not miss Lucca if I were you, it is certainly a memorable experience.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:38 PM

saylor: Patrick's last paragraph, bugswife1 and Huitres have summed it up very well. Oh yes, the walls are intersting and a climb to the tower at the Palazzo Guinigi is fun and the duomo and several churches are worth a visit, the palazze are teeming with life. But, Lucca is something more than these sites. The city has a pleasant "feel". As has been stated, you get a real opportunity to see Italians living inside and outside the walls.
Da Leo is one of our favorite restaurants though we have only been there for dinner. It is small, so if you go, make reservations.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Yes, several of you are indeed right...Lucca does have a certain charm. That's not to say that other place are lacking in same.

So we have little contest going? Why go to St. Louis since it just has a big McDonald arch and a big zoo. Why go to Rome 'cause its just buzzing with those mopeds. Why go to Lucerne...when you've seen one lake you've seen them all. Why go to London since it's got so many of those funny red double-decker busses. Why go to New York...those tall buildings make me dizzy! Why go to...
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:21 AM

My sarcasm was generated by two things. First, it was the tone of the responses to the original question. One started with some smarl aleck remark about the Louvre It was a perfectly reasonable question. The responses implied "how dare you even ask such a stupid question? Everything on a trip is great, you fool." Apparently, some people get upset if you question the assumption that everything in Italy is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Second, I get a laugh out of people who tout some place whose best assets resemble Providence. Get real. Does Pucini matter to anyobody? This is grasping at straws. It sounds like one of those little US town that promotes itself as "The Dirty Underwear Capital of America" or something. Yeah, that's reason to head straight there.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:55 AM

Dear platzer,

You are a great way to start the day!
Puccini may matter to just a few million people......
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Actually Platz, Puccini does matter, and quite a bit. His music has enthralled and entertained millions. The world would be a lesser place without La Boheme, Madama Butterfly, Tosca, Gianni Schicci, Il Tabaro, or Turandot. Puccini's operas are so very approachable, you might try one, you just may like it.
I am surprised that someone posting on an Italy board could ask if Puccini matters.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Platz, Puccini is a heck of a lot more important than your comparison to "The Dirty Underwear Capital of America"! Now that indeed, is grasping at straws! Saylor just wants more info on Lucca, and that is what me and the others were trying to elucidate. Sure, I agree with you that every place in Italy can be deemed wonderful, and is often gushed about as such. However, finding little uniquenesses and idiosyncrasies about a particular place(s) often make or break the decision to go see it! IMO, Lucca remains one of my most favorite places in Italy and a city that I would return to over and over again.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
KT

Does Puccini matter to anyone?

Che gelido cervello! Or should I say, nessun pensa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -