Reload this Page >

WHAT'S OUTSIDE OF ROME?

Search

WHAT'S OUTSIDE OF ROME?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:51 AM
JC

WHAT'S OUTSIDE OF ROME?

WHAT'S OUTSIDE OF ROME? <BR> <BR>Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm planning to go to Rome in the first week of June for 1 week. Is there a nice place to go outside of Rome for 1 to 2 days that's a complete contrast to Rome? No more museums or ruins, but simple country life? Somewhere accessible by train or bus. <BR> <BR>Also, is it worth it to take a train to Venice from Rome and stay for only 2 days in Venice? How much is the round trip train fare to Venice, and how long is the ride? Can I take the train overnight? <BR> <BR>Thanks much! <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:02 PM
nancy

The region (or provence?) south -east of Rome and north of Naples. <BR>It is inland. <BR>There is a book about that area, with a similar title. <BR>There is a site for the area. <BR>www.aptfrosinone.com <BR> <BR>There is also a lake about 30 miles north of Rome, starts with a B. <BR>Maybe someone else can give you more info. <BR>We are going to the coast NORTH of Naples. <BR>A site with hotel info is, <BR>www.atenatour.it <BR>Have a good trip! <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Mel

One of my fondest memories of Rome was taking a bus trip up into the hills to Tivoli at dusk. Small, charming town with vendors on some sidewalks, small boutiques, beautiful old church. Can't remember a meal there, so I'm not sure what's there food-wise.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:42 PM
elizabeth

The Argentario peninsula is about 90 minutes (I think) north of Rome on the Tuscan coast. We spent a day there in and around the fishing villages Porto Ercole and Porto Santos and really enjoyed it. (food was terrific - I still dream about the baby clams) I believe you could take the train.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Rex

You wouldn't take an overnight train between Rome and Venice, It's about 4 and 1/2 hours; the first class fare is about 62 $USD, the 2nd class is around $40, I think. <BR> <BR>There was a recent thread <BR> <BR>"Can you tell me about dining car services on Eurostar train from Venice to Rome?" <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...messagesframe& <BR> <BR>posted by "bashful" - - which was actually me, speaking as my father-in-law - - and several people gave some useful info there about this route. <BR> <BR>Any place that TRULY offers "simple country life" requires a car, in my opinion. I have written posts here more than once about the province of Rieti (less than an hour from Rome), and about Villa Vallerosa, in particular. You can search Rieti or Vallerosa either one on this forum and find these threads. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:09 PM
jahoulih

It is actually possible to take an overnight train from Rome to Venice: ICN34546, originating from Naples, leaves Rome's Tiburtina station at 22:20 and gets to Venice Santa Lucia at 5:55. You could save the cost of a night's lodging this way, but if that isn't a concern, then Rex's idea of dining on the Eurostar is probably nicer.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:25 PM
elvira

Due east from Rome is the Abruzzi region, with its beautiful national park (this area is often called the "overlooked" region). <BR>http://www.pna.it/e_index.htm