What's new/different to see in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to Paris many times and have seen and done most, if not all, of the required tourist things. We will be there only 3 days in June and would like suggestions for new, unusual, different things to do. For me, just being in Paris is wonderful enough, but DH would like to see/do different things. All suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM

We were there in February and have been many times. We try to do something new each trip. We visited the Le Corbusier house. I love that style of architecture. We ate at Cafe Constant, loved it. This wasn't new for us, but went to the free midnight jam session at Duc des Lombards, jazz bar (Fri. & Sat.) Went to the Maison Europeen de Photographie in the Marais; a great museum of photographs. Did a walking tour of the new buildings over in the 13th by the Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand.Also not new to us, went to La Defense walked around, shopped in the huge mall. There is a beautiful view of the arc de triomphe from there. We always try to do a horse race. They have several around Paris and they are always fun. We have been to Chantilly, Maison Lafitte, and Longchamp. There is so much to do after you see all of the "main" sights in Paris. Best of all is just walking around and enjoying. Oh, yes, one last thing, Parc des Buttes Chaumont. A beautiful park with high spots for viewing.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM

The museum at the Pasteur Institute. Compact museum, brief history of Pasteur's scientific accomplishments, apartment where he spent the last seven years of his life, some of his artwork (yes he also had artistic talent as a young man) and his tomb which is quite beautiful.
Easy walk from the Pasteur metro stop.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi C,

When were you there last?
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM

The Belleville market.
Sunday brunch at the Jacquemart-André if you haven't done it.
Walking tour of the artists' ateliers in Montmartre.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

More good suggestions. Thanks.

Ira, we were there last summer. What did we miss???
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Have you toured Mal Maison, the home of Josephine and Napoleon? It is a short distance outside of Paris, convenient with public transportation. The St. Martin Canal/Bastille area is now a lively, regentrified area brimming with new cafes and jazz clubs. And, I do agree with StCirq regarding the Jacquemart-Andre. Check out any new exhibitions at the Luxemburg Gardens or the Grand Palais.
I also love just strolling through the streets of St. Germain and discovering quaint buildings, unusual boutiques, and cafes. Not far from the Moulin Rouge (which I do not recommend), is the Musee de la Vie Romantique on Rue Chaptal. If you are a romantic, this is a lovely house with beautiful gardens, displaying cherished mementos of famous lovers and romantics such as Chopin and George Sand. The metro is Pigalle, and it is closed on Monday. On my last visit, there was no admission charge.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 11:39 PM

The Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police de Paris:

http://www.placesinfrance.com/musee_...eum_paris.html

Not in Paris but a short Métro ride away is this museum:

http://musee.vet-alfort.fr/

Rent a bike and ride along the Canal de l'Ourcq starting from the Parc de la Villette. Or ride a bike anywhere in Paris.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

And more! I will certainly have to plan yet another trip to see everything. Thanks again to: opaldog, gh21, StCirq, GoodLuckGirl, FrenchMystiqueTours.

Ira -- waiting to hear from you!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Did you Tango outside along the Seine?

We saw them doing that when we were on a night Seine cruise. Looked like fun.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
ira

Hi crc,
since you were last there less than a year ago, there's little that i can help you with.

Have you been to "Boulangerie Patissiere de la Tour Eiffel" for a couple of pick me ups opposite the ET. The cafe is opposite a street that aims directly at the tower. Excellent view. "très français".

Had lunch at "Au Chien Qui Fume" , just outside the entrance to Les Halles on Rue du Pont Neuf. My Lady Wife says that the onion soup was better than at Pied au Cochon.

Been to "Le Florimond" for dinner?

Visited the Branly Museum?

Lunch at "Taillevent"?

Taken the train to Dijon, Nancy or Strasbourg for the day?

Been to the Orangerie, for the Monet's?

Visited Auvers-sur-Oise – a very pleasant town where Van Gogh spent his later years?

Gone to the Museé Nissim Camondo – beautiful and tragic, and the Parc Monceau?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Gelato at Amorino?

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

TPAYT - The Tango is purely a spectator sport for me, but I'll watch for other folks doing it. Thanks for the tip.

ira - I knew you'd come up with lots of new-to-me ideas. I've done a few you mentioned but haven't been to any of the restaurants, so they're going on my list, as is gelato at Amorino. The two museums sound interesting too. Thank you so much.

K
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Ira,
Is that Amorino Gelato in the Buci Market?

And, you reminded me of the Wine Tasting Event at Taillevent on Saturday afternoons. Reservations are a must.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

I looked up Amorino in Paris. There are at least a dozen locations and even more flavors. In three days, I hope to sample 9 flavors at various locations, bringing them all back home,attached firmly to my hips. Thanks Ira!