what's fine or crazy @itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok friends-we (6 adults ,first timers) arrive and depart from shannon.
day one drive to dublin (clontarf area) for 2 nights
day 3 drive to kinsale for 2 nights
day 5 drive to kenamre for 3 nights;side trips to ring of kerry and beara peninsula
day 8 drive to dingle for 3 nights
day 11 drive to galway for 3 nights
day 14 drive to bunratty for last night before morning flight.
are any of these driving trips too ambitious? many thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Dear calvo2,

Is there any way you can arrive in Dublin and leave from Shannon? It would make your itinerary so much easier. I think it is a long drive to Dublin on your first day. How about making a short flight from Shannon to Dublin if you can't change your tickets? However you do it, you'll have a great time.

Joan
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM

If the in and out of SNN is locked in, consider taking the CityLink bus from SNN to Dublin and then pick up your rental car just before leaving. You don't need (or WANT) the hassle of dealing with Dublin traffic and parking, PLUS it will save you two day's rental fee.

Bob
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Ooops!

I would also consider taking one day off of both Kenmare and Dingle and spend them in Killarney. Between the Gap of Dunloe, Ross Castle and Muckross House and Traditional Farms, there's PLENTY to do there w/o 'commuting'.

Killarney gets a bad rap as 'Too Touristy', but there's a LOT to see and do there and lots of nightlife, as well.

You might be 'up' for the drive during the lo-oo-oo-ng days of summer, but if you are going in the Spring or Fall, you won't have enough daylight to truely explore the attractions around Killarney w/o staying there.

Bob
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM

The 1st day is a bad idea unless you have a driver, as others have said. The rest of it is fine. I usually agree with what Bob has to say, but as far as Killarney is concerned, I would stay in Kenmare all three nights. If nightlife is highly important to you Killarney may be for you but I have found mush of it to be made for American tourist type entertainment.

Bill
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all of the great advice.we are all between the ages of 58 -65 so i don't think the nightlife would be a major consideration .however we are planning on enjoying some good irish music in pubs somewhere if not everywhere.it seems like day one will be our driving challenge ,but we will have 3 drivers to share the adventure.as a high schoolteacher i have taken many trips w/students to spain and italy and i always tried to impress upon them that "the difference between a crisis and an adventure is how we deal with it" .i think we are in for some good irish adventure. many thanks for your responses.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM

CityLink bus does not go from Shannon to Dublin. Instead try: http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM

You will find excellent music in Galway and Dingle year round. Kenmare can be sketchy, but McCarthy's has a great session on Thursday nights and the Wander Inn advertises that they will. Sometimes a band shows up, other times not. The Thady Quill advertises trad and sometimes it is and othertimes not. I think it's the Atlantic Bar that has had the same duo advertising traditional irish song and dance for years. A woman singer and a guy with a piano and a rhythm box. It's terrible and what I heard was CW.

Kinsale used to have a couple of good venues, one was Murphys but I think that place has changed names.

In Dingle, my 1st choice would be An Droichead Beag (the small bridge). I've heard and sat in on a few sessions there.

In Galway try Tig Coili where I herad a couple of fine sessions. I think it was Taffe's that's across the street that was disappointing but that may have been hearing the same piano player sit in with an electric piano both times. The whole band rolled their eyes collectively when she showed up.

I might suggest Ennis to Bunratty especially if you want to hear some good music. There are a number of pubs/hotels that have trad going on. Cruises has music every night and it's a great bar and a nice place for some pub food. Ennis is a realy town, bunratty is a B&B village surrounded by tourism. Bunratty isn't bad, I just prefer Ennis.

Bill
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I agree with Bill -- definitely Ennis over Bunratty