Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's easiest way to get from Monte Carlo to Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're on a cruise which disembarks in Monte Carlo and while we have little interest in MC, we do have a great interest in seeing parts of Provence or the Luberon. Problem is that we're in our late 70's and have reached the stage where we're no longer into "adventure" kind of touring. Looking for ease in moving around. So we're wondering what the most practical and "easy" way of getting from Monte Carlo to, say, Aix would be. (Or where else as a base for a week or so of exploring the region?) Don't have the money to hire a private driver, tant pis. Would be so frustrating to be so close and miss seeing Provence etc. but we suspect the logistics may be off-putting. Am hoping for reassuring help. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM

Hello,
Though I haven't done the journey myself, it seems that you can get the train from Montecarlo to Aix en Provence, changing either in Nice or in Cannes. As long as you don't have *too* much heavy baggage, I think that it would be feasible.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM

What do you most enjoy (beautiful scenery? lots of museums/art? some of each And when will this be? And from where will you fly back to the US?

It is very easy (only about 15-20 minutes) to get from Monte Carlo to Nice by bus or train. Nice is the hub for both modes of transport for easy day trips along the Riviera and into the towns high above.

Viatour is a reliable company (and you pay in US dollars, then print a voucher)that offers lots of mini-van excursions, with hotel pickup. True it's a tour, but not on a huge bus and not shopping- oriented!

It sounds like first we need to know where you need to be for departure when the week is over...
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM

Depends also on how you plan visiting and sightseeing in Provence once there. Most people rent a car. If you planned on doing that, then you could just rent your car in Monaco and drive to where ever you decide to base yourself and then you are all set.

If not, then think about a small group tour. The Wood family (Kathy and Charlie) do a very nice week long tour where you are based in just one spot and really enjoy the local scene. Could be just the thing for you if the dates coincided.

Their web site is http://www.luberonexperience.com/index.htm

-Kevin
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for these prompt and good replies.
The cruise will be either in June or September '09 (is one month to be preferred over the other in that area? I know the lavender won't be blooming in Sept....) Not sure where our return will be from. I'm just in the very beginning stages of planning.
The kind of thing we most enjoy when we travel is wonderful scenery, places where we can take great walks along the seashore, through woods, etc. etc. Less interested in museums. No interest at all in shopping.
On a cruise this past September, we disembarked in Nice and absolutely loved our 4 days post-cruise there. Stayed at La Perouse, loved our room, loved the whole scene. It was great not to need a car, just to be able to hop on a public bus to get to places like Vence, St Paul de Vence, Eze. Loved just walking all over Nice as well. We hope to be able to enjoy that sort of vacation after our next cruise, but I know that one can't take buses from village to village in the Luberon, for instance. And we're not so sure about renting a car and driving from Monte Carlo to Provence. (We used to do that kind of thing readily; are more reluctant as we get older.)
It may be that we'll need to do the tour kind of thing, the kind of thing that kevin suggests, but we don't think we'd enjoy it. We're more or less loners.
Hoping for more in-put and very appreciative for the info so far.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Poss -

That helps to know a bit more about what you like and how you like to travel.

Without a car, I'd say your best place to base would be Avignon. From there, there is pretty good train service to many destinations. The city itself has much to offer. And you could easily book something through the tourist office for a guided tour around the smaller less accesible Luberon villages for just a day or two.

That would mean you'd only need a private driver for a day and the rest of the time you could be perfectly content "loners" !!!

Haven't done it myself, but I am pretty sure training it from Monte Carlo to Avignon is easily doable.

-Kevin
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM

Kevin's advice is great, based on your additional information. From Avignon you could also take the TGV train to Paris, if you will fly home from there, or Marseilles, too, as a return flight option.

I did your trip somewhat in reverse, again with no rental car. One possibility is to stay overnight in Aix (or two) and then move on, via train to Avignon.

Strolling around Aix would be delightful in either month- personally I'm not much into shopping, either...I did make the hike up to Cezanne's studio on foot and then even further up to the lookout for Mt. Venteux (sp?). If you are not shoppers I would think a full day and night there would suffice.

Then on to Avignon- that, in fact, is where I took my day- long lavender tour (through Sault and stopping at Gordes). I was there in the third week of June and the harvest was already underway- so if you go in June you would have the lavender. Avignon would be a great base for day trips and you would enjoy strolling along the Sorgue River in Isle dur la Sorgue- a long and level path, as well as the market days.

All of this was accomplished by train and/or bus. One caveat is that the TGV station in Avignon is not in the city center- you need to take a shuttle in- the "regular" train station is just outside the city gates.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the new replies.
I think we might enjoy Aix very much since we're both retired university professors and my sense is that Aix is very much a university town. I suspect we might enjoy Avignon less, though I may be entirely mistaken about that. One thing that's very impt to us is that we find accommodations that are restful and quiet. We're poor sleepers, even at best, and when we travel even more so. I wonder if we'll be able to find somewhere very quiet and relaxing in Aix for around 350USD? Also: would Villeneuve perhaps be a better bet for us than Avignon itself? I'm thinking maybe the village feel would be more to our taste and more restful. On the other hand, I believe I remember reading that there's a train that runs right behind the accommodations in Villeneuve; if that's the case, it'd be no good for us.
If we do decide to rent a car, by the way, I'm wondering if there's one hill village over the others that people would recommend both for quiet and for ease of getting to the other wonderful places we hope to visit.
Thanks so much!