What's cool to buy in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to London (on our way to Ireland) with my husband and two college sons. Have been before and done the touristy stuff. Hoping to hang out, experience the city, and do some shopping. Anything special the guys might be interested in? Hip clothes? Certain area in which to shop? (I'd like to look at antiques and decorative housewares, but they're probably not going to go for that!)
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:35 AM

Unfortunately, I can't offer advice on hip clothes for college boys (I'm not sure the Brits are particularly hip). Selfridges (department store) would be a good one-stop shop to get a picture of what is most fashionable in London (for everyone). If the boys are lucky, Selfridges will still have its "body" exhibit on and they will be able to see Elle Macpherson getting painted in a window.

For you, make sure you go to John Lewis (not open Sundays) for its housewares, fabrics and linens, and go to Liberty of London (gorgeous, eclectic fashions and for home).

For you and the college sons, check out Muji (a Japanese store selling clothes, house stuff and cool gadgets, paper, albums, containers etc.) Sounds unappetizing, but it's great. The sons and your husband should check out Thomas Pink for great dress shirts. Even the sons need some nice shirts, and these are amazing.

You all might want to go to Camden market on a Sunday (although this is somewhat more of a teenager thing). So absolutely jampacked that they only let you get off the train at the tube stop (you have to take an alternative route home). Maybe you could combine this with a trip along the locks (Camden to Maida Vale, I think.)
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:34 AM

It's pointless telling you now what will be hip, because:
- few words are as 2002 as "hip"
- Heaven knows what will be hip - as us oldies put it - at some unspecified point in the future
- what's hip for one 20 year old is like nowhere man for another.

So if possible before you leave, or at any rate the instant you arrive, buy a copy of Time Out for each of them to read in detail. That'll help them sort out events, exhibitions, clubs, etc.

At the same time get them a handful of what we call "Lads'Mags". Any serious magazine store in London sells millions of magazines with semi-dressed photographs of B-list celebrities on the front, and headlines clearly aimed at 20-somethings. Examples include FHM, the UK edition of GQ, Loaded, Maxim.

Skim through enough of them, and you'll get a pretty good idea of shops and clothes that are modish the week you arrive.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM

- Housewares, check out Habitat. There is one near St Johns Woods.

- Cool clothes for teens/juniors - H&M. It is very crowded, but lots of young 'uns seem to be going in and out.

- Nice suits for you or your husband: Selfridges. They actually have a better selection than Harrods and they are about 10% cheaper. The prices are not different from the US, but the cuts are very different and much nicer, in MHO.

- Nice ties: Harrods. The selection is really nice.

- John Lewis (Oxford Street) has a really nice set of cookware called Tierra Negra. It is beautiful black earthenware from Colombia. You can put it in the oven, microwave, on the stove and in the dishwasher. It is gorgeous to serve in and is pretty much non-stick. Highly recommend getting at least one piece.

- Crockery - John Lewis has some amazing Rosenthal patterns taht I have not seen in the DC area.

- Shoes: Bally outlet at Heathrow. I know it sounds weird, but I like their selection better than anything in the stores in the city.

Happy shopping!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Forgot that you mentioned antiques. If you are there on a Saturday morning, hit Portobella Street Market. You can spend a lot of time and money browsing through all the stuff...But, do some research before you go so that you don't over-pay. And take the tube.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:22 AM

For the boys, I agree Camden Market (let them go alone). Also try Kings road. If they're into music, they will probably find cds that aren't available in the US.

For antiques, in addition to Portobello Road there's Camden Passage (not the same as Camden Market) on Wednesdays & Sats. Also Bermondsey Market near the Tower of London. (check the web, I think it's also on Sat. but maybe Fri too.) For high end antique window shopping, have a walk along Kensington Church St.

One of my favorite dec. housewares stores is the General Trading Company.

I strongly suggest you split up for at least some of the time so you each look for what interests you. Happy shopping!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Good suggestions about the CDs. One place that is really good for books that you won't find in the US and CDs (like Velvet Underground) that you can't find in the US is HMV Records. If you are picking up a DVD or a game, be sure to check that the "region" code is OK to use in the US. Otherwise, you will be out quite a few quid and won't be able to enjoy what you bought.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:29 AM

PS I totally agree with pcircles about the Bally shop at Heathrow. They have great stuff. Probably the only airport shopping I do!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Hit the shops on Oxford street like H&M, Zara, Next, Top Shop, Benneton and Esprit. On Oxfored St you cant go worng. You can also see what everyone is wearing here and get ideas.

Currently the trend is London is Distressed Jeans, Cargos gone wild, Mesh tops, military, sport clothing as fashion and Neon colored stuff. Also add to that tons of accessories.

I was just there on a biz trip 3 weeks ago researching upcoming fashion trend and merchandising in specialty and dept stores. Yes, in case anyone cares, that is my job. I competitive shop for a living. I was there and did nothing but eat and shop for 4 days and was exhausted.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:50 AM

One name is all you need to know...Paul Smith. There's also his more affordable Paul Smith Jeans label.

Wish I bought his stuff in London because I can only find it at the top-notch clothiers in LA at a hefty premium.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:53 AM

There is a great magazine out of the UK called "Wallpaper"...check it out...it has a lot of trendy things that might be appealing to your sons.
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Christmas ornaments- I have found some really great, unique ornaments in London. Harrod's has a year round Christmas shop, I believe.

Richardab- your job sounds like a lot of fun!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Spitalfields market on Sunday. Better than Camden Lock for offering something for younger and older shoppers-and good food.
I like Covent Garden on Sunday but it's a bit more 'Mom' taste than 'sons' taste.
My last trip I avoided touristy things and went for the 'how to live in London' experience which includes plenty of pubs and wine bars which will win over your kids. You certainly don't have to be getting 'pissed' to appreciate the atmosphere and feel like a local.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM

How about FCUK clothing? The boys will get lots of double takes when they wear that back home. BTW, FCUK stands for French Connection UK >
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Yes FCUK is sooooo popular. I was in one of their stores in the NY area yesterday and I was wondering....

Did they realize that their company initials that they plaster all over their clothing reading "FCUK" look like a very dirty word?

On Kings Road they are remodelling and enlarging their store and the sign reads, Coming Soon an Even Bigger FCUK".

It's terrible how I think!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM

French Connection definitely knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the FCUK abbreviation!

Apparently they are now going to sponsor Greg Rusedski.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:19 AM

I agree that Spitalfields is the place to go. Avoid Oxford Street and the like which are full of tackly highstreet stores and tourists.

Spitalfields is open on a Sunday, and sells vintage, new designer and streetwear - possibly even hip?. Also antiques, food, and furnishings. When you are there, take a trip to Brick Lane (10 minutes walk) where you will find the best Indian resturants in London and more hidden treasures.

You could also try Greenwich market on a Saturday / Sunday. They do a good mixure of clothes, furnishings, antiques etc plus if its nice weather you can walk up the hill.

If you want to stay in town then I'd go for High Street Kensington or Covent Garden where you can duck into a side street if the crowds get too much.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:43 AM

richarddab, I'm afraid I laughed out loud at your naivety - FCUK is a very deliberate provocate rebranding of French Connection that has been enormously successful.

We Brits like naughty

And Kate W, how can you say that Brits aren't hip, I'm truly offended. Haven't you heard of "Cool Britannia"?
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Alice123,

Why do you say "Avoid Oxford Street and the like which are full of tackly highstreet stores and tourists."

I presume that you mean "tacky" and take offense at being called tacky. Selfridges is on Oxford Street and is as tacky as Saks. You must shop at exclusive boutiques like Saks Jandel if you think Selfridges/Saks are tacky.

It's not polite to randomly assign the "tackly" (sic) label to nice places and the people who frequent them.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:57 AM

A few fun things to bring back from London are the Underground t-shirts and also unbrellas, repeating the phrase MIND THE GAP which you hear a lot while riding the rails. My husband was a funeral director and he loved the UNDERGROUND patch he purchased and wore on his jackets (sorry about the pun). Have a great trip. Halfpint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -