Reload this Page >

What's a breakfast?

Search

What's a breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Elaine

What's a breakfast?

Hi out there...I'm curious. Some hotels say 'continental breakfast' and some say 'full breakfast'. My husband (who is Italian)says they must be the same thing because in Italy there are no bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, etc. breakfasts. If someone out there can enlighten me, they'll have my thanks!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:05 PM
wendy

Continental breakfast usually means bread, coffee and juice, maybe fruit. Sometimes there is cereal too. However in the UK, continental breakfast sometimes means ham and cheese too. <BR> <BR>Full breakfast is eggs, meat, in the UK beans and tomatoes are included. <BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:08 PM
carol

Continental breakfast is a roll or toast, fruit and or juice and coffee or tea. <BR>Full breakfast is the works, bacon,sausage,eggs,cereal(hot or cold), juice or fruit, maybe kippers, tomatoes,mushrooms

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Ed

Depends a bit on where. The "continental" breakfast is quite a bit different across the continent. More full to the north, less to the south ... very generally. <BR> <BR>Guessing that you're questioning the meaning in Italy, the continental is rolls, butter, jam, coffee-tea-chocolate. Occasionally juice or fruit. <BR> <BR>Some few hotels, at least in Rome, have in relatively recent years been offering a "full American" breakfast or buffet breakfast as an added feature included in the price of the room, presumably to make themselves more attractive to the North American trade. <BR> <BR>I've not seen "full" by itself, but would guess if that was the case "American" might be the implied adjective. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:56 PM
cmt

In Italy, France and Greece continental breakfast was crusty bread, pastries, jams and coffee or tea (or in France, chocolate). <BR>In Italy and Greece (Sicily, Tuscany, Crete) full breakfast buffets included: breads, pastries, fruit preserves, honey, muesli or granola cereals, other cereals, flavored and plain yogurt, milk, various fresh whole fruits, fresh fruit salad, hard cheeses, sometimes freshly made ricotta, salami, cookies. (I don't remember whether they also included eggs, because I do not eat eggs and prefer not to look at them.)

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Doug Weller

The full breakfast described above for Italy and Greece sounds like the ones I've also had in France at breakfast buffets -- which did include eggs, by the way, but sadly not cookies.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Tony Hughes

Wendy, I'm curious .... <BR> <BR>where in the UK would you find ham and cheese for breakfast?

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 08:43 AM
kate

I've seen ham and cheese on offer in buffet breakfasts at large hotels which cater for a lot of continental tour parties, but you're right Tony, it's not very British!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Roger

Tony, I am curious, what part of the UK do you live?

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:31 PM

fresh fruit and creamy yoghourt in a parfait glass - in a tiny seaside town in Greece

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Tony Hughes

Roger, I'm curious, why would you like to know something like that?

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Fwhiteside

Try the Japanese version of a 'western' breakfast:- <BR> <BR>Hard boiled eggs, bread & butter, Jam.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Roger

Tony, just generally curious after seeing post from different people from the UK. Like I know Sheila is from Scotland, I think out of Edinburgh, and if she was close on my upcoming solo trip she seems to be the kind of person I would like to say hi to in person and buy her a drink along with her husband if in fact she is married. The same would go for you. Just trying to put a face to the people I here from on this forum. Sorry if I am being too intrusive.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Tony Hughes

Roger <BR> <BR>Sheila lives in Aberdeen. I am in Edinburgh but this is my last night in the fair city which has been my home for the last 11 years. Relocating to Fife for 3 weeks then USA for 3 months. When are you up here?

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Roger

Tony, I am the guy who got permission from my wife to do a solo trip to the UK as we are having problems with scheduling this year and I need my (fix). Leaving San Francisco and I might add Investment Banking on March 13. First night in London then to Carlsile,Glasgow,Oban,Glasgow, followed by two days who knows where and back to london and flight back home on March 22. <BR>I get tired just thinking about it. Hope to meet local people, have a sip of the local single malt, and forget work for a brief period. Have a good time on your trip to the USA and if you get to California let me know. Thanks for responding. <BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:50 PM
wendy

Stellarossa, <BR>All the youth hostels in Scotland served ham and cheese at breakfast.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 05:48 AM
m

Continental breakfasts are cold. Full breakfasts include hot food.