Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would you buy in Greece that you couldn't get in the states?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting Athens and some small islands. I always like to bring back something, either inexpensive or expensive, from my travels. What does Greece have to offer? On my trip to Paris the Fodorites suggested the little Effel Tower souvenirs. It was a big hit with family and friends. Is silver jewelry less expensive in Greece? What would I purchase in their markets that is worth lugging back?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM

For something "durable" and that actually might make others think of Greece there are always those Acropolis replicas.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Pottery
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM

If you're going to Naxos, buy a bottle of Kitron, an aperitif made from an exotic fruit similar to the lemon.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Greek honey is especially wonderful.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM

I agree with the suggestion of greek honey also you could look for "evil eye" charms for necklaces or bracelets.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Oh Elaine, you just gave me a Proustian moment! Cretan honey and yogurt for breakfast...sigh...
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM

My mom bought me a gorgeous navy blue caftan with gold thread trim in Delphi. I have now had it almost twenty five years and it still looks great...not a muumuu kind of shape, more fitted. She bought my brother a cotton shirt which he also still has.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I'm glad someone mentioned the honey. You have to try it, then you'll bring it back. Its so dark and rich...yummy!

I like the pottery plates. there are different styles on different islands. Also, brass and copper seems to be a bit less expensive. I bought brass candlesticks back on a couple trips. In Rhodes, near Lindos, there are ladies selling handmade lace tableclothes. Okay, maybe they aren't really handmade, but I liked the lace and thought the prices were very reasonable.

And if you just want a cheap, small, souvenir, then bring back strings of worry beads (the Greek word for them, spelled phonetically as best I can, is comboloy). There are lots of attractive looking ones in glass, or stone, strung on leather or chain. You'll see the old men in tavernas just twirling them in their hands.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys/girls. I knew I could count on you. I especially love the idea about the beads. I will surely want to purchase some for friends and family. I also love ceramics. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM

In Athens in the Plaka there is great jewelry store, Byzantino at 120 Adrianou. They sell hand made 22 karat gold jewelry. Alot of jewelry in Athens is not the quality they claim it to be, but Byzantino is an exception. Matt Barrett suggests going there on his Greek pages. I bought a beautiful necklace and earrings there in 2000 and they really are one of a kind. Pricey, but worth it. Also, I don't know which islands you are going to, but Sifnos is known for it's pottery...we got some pretty pieces there and the town of Apollonia has some real artisan jewelers. We walked through the narrow streets and found a couple of lovely, very small shops run by the actual artist.

On Santorini we bought an amazing oil painting by a local artist who was showing in a gallery. The colors and his use of light were impressive and every time I walk by that painting in my home I am taken back to that lovely place.

We are returning to Greece this summer...in just a week. Can't wait!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM

When I am in a different country, I always buy a CD of local music. Vivid memories of eating under grape arbors, along the shores, at sunset, with wonderful food in Greece always comes to my mind when I play a CD labeled Sirtaki Dance. Our grandchildren bought worry beads and I also try to buy a small watercolor print (such as of the acropolis) of each place I have been. Enjoy
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I forgot to mention,also, the pottery plates which are specific to many islands, and olive oil.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Pasteli
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:23 PM

......the blue glass 'eyes' that protect
one against evil - what are they called?

You can buy them attached to key chains,
etc.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:59 PM
lyn

Ontheverge, can you post the details of the gallery and artist you mentioned in Santorini? We will be there this summer, and love to find paintings to buy as souvenirs.

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Olive oil soap and little sea sponges . . . you can buy them in the US but they are cheaper and better in Greece . . . my friends loved them.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Yes, Kitron, yum.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I bought a small leather duffle bag about fifteen years ago when I was in Greece(and just a child!) It's grown beautiful over the years,now it's nice and worn with a wonderful "patina".
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Last year I bought Olive oil and Kalamata olives that were truly out of this world! i knew nothing of brands and just pulled off the shelf and they were fabulous. The coffee was ok and the spices wer ok, but I will never forget how great the olives and olive oil were... They were deifinitely worth being pulled aside by US customs(and almost missing a connection in Denver!) We also brought back worry beads and olive oil soaps. as well as greek key designed jewelry.But my all time favorite were the olive products!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -