Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would be a good gift from the USA to bring 2 young boys in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:17 PM
Marcie

Since my children are older, I'm out of touch as to what would be a fun gift to bring two young Swiss brothers (age 5 & 7). We will be staying overnight in their home in Switzerland. I've already picked up a small gift for the parents but I'd like to have something fun just for the boys. It needs to be easy to pack, not too expensive, and preferably something they don't sell in Switzerland. I'd prefer a toy or game or trinkit of sorts NO clothes. Anyone with young boys or grandsons...help! Thanks, Marcie

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:46 PM
xxx

Not sure if this falls into the no clothes category, but how about a MLB baseball cap from your favorite sports team.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:53 PM
xxxxx

How about something native American Indian?

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM
Betty

They had to use multiple xxx's to post those suggestions?

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Anne

How about an american football or basketball? They are sold uninflated and would be easy to pack and the boys could play together. Don't forget to bring the pin used to inflate them.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:48 PM

Kids love candy, what about candy we have here that they don't have there?

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Ben Haines

I like the ball idea. I add: a baseball bat, a baseball glove, American candy, a National Parks wall calendar. A model of Davy Crockett or Buffalo Bill. If they collect, a fine American butterfly, or the set of current commemorative stamps. But also, and better, you could ask them. <BR><BR>It is nice that you care to get it right. Good luck, and welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:25 PM
Kay

I just bought some real cute sticker books that you can re-stick over and over. They will travel flat, are not very thick and about $5/each. They are for ages 2- 7. For the seven year olds, I am taking these coloring books that have pages like stained glass, that they color and put in the windows. All of these books have different themes from Angels to trucks, animals to pirates. I am taking these to my Italian friend's children. I just found them today at a speciality children's store and I thought they were perfect. I have been trying to find something for a while. Kay

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:57 PM
Beth

Yup, reading the post I immediately thought "American football." I'd take it inflated, however. It will save room for the stuff you're bringing back! I also like the baseball bat, glove, ball idea, but think the former is easier to pack. (By the way, they make all this stuff in the "nurf" variety as well, to keep from breaking Swiss windows!) As for the candy... how about a bag of old fashioned "penny" candy in all its varieties.<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:43 PM
xxx

Red Vines (licorice) are the best candy to take to foreign countries since it's something they can't get there.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:54 PM
aunt grapes

on a recent trip we took oreo cookies. they were a huge hit. we explained they are a favorite snack with milk especially for children. even the adults loved them. wrapped them in bubble wrap and they survived beautifully. then we had the wrap for fragiles on the trip home.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:01 PM
Aunt Jennie

Aunt Grapes,<BR><BR>Hi! Another Aunt! I was wondering, did they open the oreos before eating them, or bite into them as a sandwich?

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:04 PM
Aunt Jennie

I often think of things after posting. These kids might be too young for this, but, if other posters are listening, who are bringing things to older children, have you seen the new first class US States postage stamps? You can buy an entire sheet with 50 different stamps, one for each state. They are so interesting, I can't even bring myself to break up my sheet and start using them.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:04 AM
european

I think a small souvenir from your town would be great, like a miniature of a landmark, because it would serve as a kids playing stuff, and it would always be connected to where you came from.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:41 AM
Keith

Candy to Switzerland - a bit like taking coal to Newcastle if you ask me!<BR><BR>What about a baseball? I think the idea of an American Football is good too.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ann

Falls under clothes, and they're sure to embarass us this summer, but how bout a US national team soccer jersey?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
patg

A soft Frisbee disc to throw around - they're not made by the Frisbee company, but you get the idea. They have holes in the middle and are made of soft fabric, which is great for younger children because they are easier to catch and don't jam fingers. And they pack completely flat.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Nancy

How about models or plastic planes from the US? Or ships from US or cars from US. Matchbox cars from US. Boys that age like things that go vrooom.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Nancy

Or current US action figures from our varied pop culture here.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:56 AM
Cindy

I just asked my six year old boy, and he suggests the following: a Star Wars action figure, a Spider Man action figure, or a small box of Legos (there are all kinds of figures), or Legos Bionocles (which are probably too large to pack, but would be a real hit). You can buy these at K-Mart, Target or ToysRUs. I would also suggest a blow-up toy -- if you have a Science Museum-kind of gift shop anywhere nearby, you can get space ships or aliens. It packs flat, and the boys will love it! If you really want to please the kids, take TOYS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -