Reload this Page >

Just Returned from Italy - Part 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Judy

I just returned from 2 weeks in Italy and after having a day to decompress, I wanted to post my thoughts and to thank everyone for the myriads of outstanding advice that I received on this site. The advice that I received here made my trip all that much better. Over the next day or two, I'll try to add the details of the trip. <BR><BR> We spent 2 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Venice, 5 nights in Florence followed by 3 more nights in Rome. But before I begin with the details, I wanted to add a few general thoughts on the trip.<BR><BR>1. If you choose to go to Italy in the summer, particularly the Rome, Venice or Florence, be prepared for a myriad of tourists.<BR><BR>2. You can pretty much find some place open to eat from 6:00 a.m. in the morning until at least midnight.<BR><BR>3. Virtually every restaurant/bar/osteria/etc. in the big three cities serves pizza and it is all good (and most importantly, for the less adventurous, all recognizable.<BR><BR>4. All hotels with air conditioning are not created equal!<BR><BR>5. White tennis shoes are everywhere.<BR><BR>6. After seeing the morass of tourists, I felt certain that the Italians had to hate the summer and the tourists, but we rarely, if ever, encountered anyone who was rude or curt.<BR><BR>7. Almost everyone (even the flea market vendors) takes VISA, Mastercard and American Express.<BR><BR>8. Italians, particularly in the cities, love their car horns. If your hotel room is over a street, make sure there is soundproofing or glazed windows.<BR><BR>9. Take the Scavi tour at the Vatican. Hardly anyone knows about the tour and it is the most amazing experience to tour through the excavations under St. Peter's Bascilica. It is an experience that you will remember for the rest of your life.<BR><BR>10. If you actually have hips, then perhaps hip-huggers are not an item of clothing that belongs in your wardrobe!<BR><BR>11. The Churches will NOT let you in if either your knees or your shoulders are visible.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Inky

There are a lot of tourists in Italian cities in the summer? Are you sure, I thought the place would be dead!!!!<BR><BR>White tennis shoes, NO!<BR><BR>They take VISA and MASTERCARD there? But they're peasants, aren't they?<BR><BR>Thanks for stating the obvious, Judy, I don't know what the Fodors readers would do without you.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:57 AM
sorryjudy

Judy-the rude reply is exactly why many people, including me, do not write trip reports. There is bound to be some sort of criticism on this board from someone no matter what you write. <BR><BR>Inky, there are many new travelers that come to this board for help and suggestions. If new travelers have never been outside of their native countries, they may not know the basics of traveling. As tiresome as elementary information may be to you, you would not know the basics if at one time you didn't read it for yourself. <BR><BR>The criticism on this board gets so tiresome!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Kelsey

Remember the pitiful post from Inky, whining "why does everybody hate me?"<BR><BR>Well, here ya go, folks. Read a classic example right here.<BR><BR>And the anonymous post from "sorryjudy" is not a whole lot better. If you want to speak out out against the loutish behavior of inky-like posters, then stand up and be counted as one of the good guys.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Karen

Judy: Thanks for your helpful hints. What exactly is meant by "no shoulders"?Are sleeveless tops acceptable which are to the shoulder? Is it just halter tops,etc., which are not acceptable?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Rex

I believe that sleeveless tops are considered "uncovered shoulders". A shawl can remedy this, in the eyes of the guards, no matter how light weight - - even a large scarf, creatively used can work. no matter if it is gauze thin.<BR><BR>And to Judy - - I don't know why you put "Part 1" in your message header - - but please do tell more if you have more to add - - but do NOT put it in a new post labeled "Part 2" - - the two pieces will have no hope of stayig connected to each other. Add the additional installments HERE, as posts to yourself.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:54 AM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Wendy

Judy, I really liked your thoughts and am looking forward to reading a full report.<BR><BR>And I agree whole heartedly about the hiphuggers! lol!<BR><BR>But you didn't mention gelato yet.......<BR><BR>And to those with bare shoulder questions- bare shoulders are shoulders that you can see skin on (tank tops, tube tops, speghetti straps, etc.) be respectful of churches and dress appropriately. It was 102F when my friend and I were at St.Peters and she was on crutches. We wore long skirts with cardigans over our tank tops.<BR><BR>Welcome back Judy!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Larry

Judy: We go to Rome in September - a 1st for us. As one interesting in hearing all about what is there, I for one appreciate hearing your report. Please report all that impressed you, regardless of how elementary and repetative it may sound to those who are experienced travelers. From what's I've picked up on this forum the past few months, though, is that most of those who have "been there, done that" also enjoy hearing from the newtimers and eagerly and respectfully help others like us with our elementary questions or comments. Rex is one I particular appreciate for his (assume Rex is a male??)thoughtfulness and sensitivity in his responses. There are several others too, as seen in this group of responses.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Larry

Judy: What I forgot to ask: When you mentioned "knees", does that rule out capri slacks and knee length dresses?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Rex

Thank you for the kind remarks, Larry. And yes, I am "XY".<BR><BR>I believe that a visitor will be denied entry if pants/shorts (capri, bermuda or otherwise), skirts or dresses fail to cover the top edge of the patella - - if you want it in absolute anatomic terms.<BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Judy

Just Returned from Italy - Part 2<BR><BR>I'm still a little jet lagged so these are simply more of my "obvious observations. I'll try to post trip details later this afternoon.<BR><BR>Message: More on the list of observations:<BR><BR>12. Underwear is meant to go under your clothing. I only make this observation because I saw sooooo many people in Europe who were obviously never taught to dress themselves. (I suspect that they were mostly tourists.) I suspect that people only dress this atrociously when they are outside of their own countries.<BR><BR>13. Climb on the stairmaster for a good month before you leave on your trip and climb at least 500 steps a day. It is save your butt, your legs and your cardiovascular system untold grief while on vacation.<BR><BR>14. Pack LIGHT and be certain that you can lift your own luggage over your head. You will be doing alot of that if you are traveling by train. You will also be pulling your luggage up and down alot of stairs. Don't take any luggage you would be prepared to trash at the end of the trip, if necessary.<BR><BR>15. If you plan on taking the Da Vinci express from the airport in Rome to the train station (Termini), be prepared for the fact that this train DOES NOT have air conditioning and is usually crowded.<BR><BR>16. People breastfeed everywhere in Europe - get used to it.<BR><BR>17. Dogs go everywhere in Europe - on trains, in restaurants, in shops, etc. They are typically very well behaved, but if you are traveling with children, tell them not to approach other people's dogs unless invited.<BR><BR>18. In Venice, Rome and Florence, pretty much everyone speaks a little English.<BR><BR>19. Make sure the Taxi driver resets his meter before you leave and ask what the supplement, if any, is before you depart. There is also a 1 Euro per bag supplement and that includes carryon bags as well as luggage. NEVER take an unlicensed taxi unless you have your own license to print money!<BR><BR>20. Venice is not for the physically faint of heart. Go slow and take it easy.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:27 AM
pam

Regarding churches not letting anyone in with bare knees, shoulders, etc. we didn't find it to be that strict. I think there was a huge post a few months ago about this topic also.<BR><BR>We found that as it was very crowded at the Vatican that many people with sleeveless shirts and shorts slipped past the attendant at the door while the attendant was checking the way others were dressed.<BR><BR>We also noticed that in Florence alot of people were in the churches with shorts. No one was asked to leave.