Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What was your favorite in the Czech Republic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We planning a trip to include the Czech Republic in September. What was your favorite? "Favorite" could be an event, museum, building, cafe, restaurant, hotel, food, situation, experience, conversation, person....whatever. I'm trying to find out what I really shouldn't miss. For prespective, we love all aspects of travel. Thanks in advance for all information. Happy travels.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM

Favorite event was the Five Petal Rose Festival in Cesky Krumlov but it is held every year in June.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:01 PM

Obviously Prague and Cesky Krumlow.In C.K. we stayed at the Hotel Ruze/Rose, a modern conversion of an old Jesuit monastery. Overlooking C.K.is the second largest castle in the Czech Republic. About 2/3 of the old town is surreounded by the Moldau river, with lots of canoe and non-motorized recreational boating activity on the river. The drive coming from Linz (Austria) along the Moldau is very scenic.

My third choice would be Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad).There, the (modernized)Hotel Pup is a great example of the old European spa grand hotels. Karlsbad is kind of funky, with visitors from all over Europe, incl. many Russians "taking the waters". The town and countryside surrounding K.V.are great for walking and very pretty.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
jwr

The CK is wonderful, or it was 3 years ago when we went.....great value. Cesky Krumlov was my favorite. My family had a wonderful time there...a lot of bang for your buck, at that time. We had a delicious Chateau Brian (sp) dinner for the entire family for $27 American dollars!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:43 PM

i can't wait to return to CK another time...we only had one day there and it was just lovely...
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM

We have only been to Prague, so favorites will be confined to that magical city! Walking, admiring the beautiful architecture, and across the Charles Bridge. Loved the Mucha Museum. Toured the Staropramen Brewery. Eating pancakes, dumplings, pork and sauerkraut, accompanied with the finest beer in Europe. Opera at the gorgeous National Theater. To quote the song, "these are a a few of my favorite things" in beautiful Prague.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM

My first choice is Prague, of course. But if you stay in the hotel over the road from the railway station and bus station in Ceske Budejovice you can take day trips in 40 minutes by bus or train to old towns, a monastery now a library, medieval carp lakes, hills good for walking, country houses, and Cesky Krumlov, and enjoy a good and varied week. Ceske Budejovice itself has a fine large town square, concerts, and a park of hotels for people to take the waters, though these hotels are local for Czechs, not international like Karlovy Vary, so you see no tubby Russian ladies.

[email protected] (not svelte myself)
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:12 AM

In Ceske Budejovice you also can visit the original Budweiser brewery and beer hall which has delicious food and of course beer!
Telc is a favourite place to visit-the buildings are amazing.

Penny
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM

For Mr Haines, To stay at Ceske Budejovice for one week in the winter, could you please suggest other interesting old towns for day trips?

Thanks

Judy
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM

One more question fro Mr Haines, From Ceske Budejovice to Vienna for my retrun flight, will it be more convenient to change train at Linz or Gmund? I have Thomas Cook European Timetables only up to October 2004.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM

In Prague the walking tours given of the old Jewish quarter and a classical music concert in a former palace in the old town were the highlights.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:35 PM

ttt.