What was your favorite in Slovenia?

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was your favorite in Slovenia?

Planning a trip to include Slovenia in September. What was your favorite? "Favorite" could be an event, museum, building, cafe, restaurant, hotel, food, situation, experience, conversation, person....whatever. I'm trying to find out what I really shouldn't miss. For prespective, we love all aspects of travel. Thanks in advance for all information. Happy travels.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Slovenia itself had to be a favorite - from a lecturer who laughed at himself, at the people and at the country itself (shaped like a sitting chicken) to the lovely town of Skofja Loka with its painted buildings, to the beautiful architecture of Ljubljana and its lacy triple bridge, and most of all, the romantic Lake Bled!!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM

The capital city of Ljubljana and the lake village of Bled

Larry J
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Versich Pass near Kaminic has many hiking routes that have beautiful sights. There are also many different castles that also have very nice views. I went almost everywhere in Slovinia and they were all very nice with tons of great food.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM

How is Ljubljana pronounced?
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Walking all the way around Lake Bled in the morning.

I'll let someone else do the pronunciation thing, but it isn't difficult.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM

We liked Piran and the caves at Postjana[sp].
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Ahhhh Slovenia!!!

One of the highlights of our trip was Vila Bled in Lake Bled. We had a lake-view suite...amazing views!!
www.vila-bled.com

In Ljublijana, at the castle is a wonderful gift shop......featuring crafts from around Slovenia. The curator has put together an amazing collection of very affordable pieces.

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Hi
Agree with Bobthe navigator, Piran and the Postojna cave. Actually the entire country was a very pleasant surprise. To BarryK, I believe it's pronounced Lubyana.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:33 AM

I love all of Slovenia: Ljubljana, Piran, Postojna caves, but most of all I just LOVE the Soca river Valley in the NW of Slovenia in the Julian Alps (around the town of Tolmin). A beautiful aquamarine blue river floating through the lower alps. Great for all kinds of outdoor and water sports but just stunning as a sight as well.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:37 AM

Ljubljana (I believe it is pronounced Lu bi yana) and the Lakes Bled and Bohinja. Definitely sunrise over Lake Bled from our lakeside room, and the walk around the lake later that day. The printer and the artist at Bled Castle for the personal interaction. And the Saturday craft show at Lake Bled for the same reason; travel is not only about the scenery but the people and their lifestyles. I would have skipped the caves at Postojna, but then I have done similar caves in the U.S. and would have preferred to spend that time in the capital city. It's a beautiful country and you will find yourself humming The Sound of Music....
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM

the T&L Sept. 2005 issue has an 4 page article about Slovenia (nice to see it going from item in column to full article)
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:26 PM

I've heard there are "not-to-be-missed" castles in Slovenia. Exactly where are they located?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:09 AM

Barry!

There are two 'l'-sounds in English:

One is the so-called 'dark l' which appears at the end of syllables as in 'full' and 'kettle' and 'mallet'.

The other is the 'light l' which is at the beginning of syllables, as in 'light' or 'be-lieve'.

In Slovenian the 'lj' transcription is to show that the light 'l'-sound is to be used:

loob-lana

Harzer
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:48 AM

Be sure to visit Lipica and see the famous stallions. This was a trip highlight for me.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM

HI guys!
Glad to see that Slovenia is back on the boards! No interest for quite a while.

Okay...first, the pronunication of the capital city, Ljubljana. It actually is not that easy to say. It is leeyou-blee-ahna. The first syllable is said quickly...the lee is not separate from the you. It is almost like you swallow the lee. Fun, huh?

September is a beautiful month to see this lovely country. If you have the time, I would recommend:
1) Ljubljana
2)Bled
3)Bohinj
4) Soca River Valley---absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
5) Logarsko Doline - Again, beautiful
6) Postojna
7)Piran
8)Goriska brda wine making region...if you like wine
8) Lipica

Options 3 and 5 are esp. great if you like to hike. Other sports to try here? Canyoning!

cheers!
Jan from Ljubljana
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 01:18 AM

Don't miss the Skocjan caves. The Lake Bled area is very nice too. While at Lake Bled, be sure to try the Creme Rezina - it was one of the most delicious desserts I have ever had!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am so glad this thread started, since we are planning to go to Slovenia next summer; partly to visit a friend who lives there, and partly to visit because we've never been there. If anyone has hotel recs, that would be great.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Hotel Slon, Hotel Grand Union and Hotel Lev are all the standard upscale hotels. City hotel is well located and a 3 star.

I am sure by next summer, there will be a slew of new ones.

What's the budget? There are many guesthouses etc available as well. Try www.slovenia-tourism.si

Cheers,
Jan
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info, Jan -- San Luis O, eh?!

Hotel budget these days is around $250 to $300 a night, anything from 3 stars up. Always look for charming vs. snob appeal, in an area where you can be in the thick of things -- we have no problem with noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information