Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What was your best trip to Europe and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Art

Inspired by another post. Without writing a book (like to see lots of responses) what was your best trip to Europe and why. Did you meet your sig other? fall in love with a city/country/country side? <BR>I'm somewhat selfish on this as it will give me more information on my next trips. <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Linda

Oh, Art, that's hard. My first trip was when I was much younger & we backpacked the Continent before summer school in England and that was exciting because Europe was so different--fell in love with Florence, Interlaken and Bavaria while enjoying London, Paris, Edinburgh, Rome, Monte Carlo. The other trips all bring different qualities: Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Hamelin, Dresden, Zakopane, Krems--the people and the changes so many have had to make, the beauty of the region and architecture, the history. Each one had its own excitement and discovery. Because I met with many Germans from different regions through a program, Germany is probably my favorite country.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Diane

Tough question. One of my favorites was two weeks in Athens/Mykonos/Santorini in 1989. I had no expectations and did little research before getting on the plane. I was just trying to use up some frequent flyer points before they expired. Two weeks was nowhere near enough and I went back the following year. I live in California and it's a long trip to Greece, but worth it. <BR> <BR>On another wonderful trip I went with a friend to Venice, the Italian Riviera, and Antibes. Each location was magical, we had incredibly beautiful weather, and stayed in charming hotels. I have many people on this board to thank for all the advice I received in planning this particular trip.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:13 AM
carolyn

Aren't all trips to Europe the "best"? My first "best" trip was an 11-country-if-this-is-Tuesday-it-must-be-Belgium tour with my daughter. It was my very brief introduction and meant to tell me where I would like to return. The problem was that I loved all of it. <BR> <BR>My second "best" trip was with my husband to visit a daughter and her family when her husband was stationed in southern Germany. We went with them for a weekend in Switzerland and an overnight in Austria and then by ourselves to Paris for a long weekend. <BR> <BR>My third "best" trip was a week in London as part of a six-member family group of women to visit a niece who was attending a semester at Imperial College. We had a wonderful time trying to do everything on a list she had prepared that was about nine days of sightseeing in six days' time. We almost did it, too. <BR> <BR>My next "best" trip will be this September when my husband and I are going to England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland for a month. <BR> <BR>As you see, I don't have any discrimination!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Danna

Art, thanks for the thread! My husband and I took a 3 week trip last October Amsterdam, Galloway Scotland, Northern Ireland, Donegal Town and Dublin. It was our 20th Anniversary and Kid in college celebratory trip. It was Grand! We were together for 3 weeks and not one spat. My husband learned he can actually retire and enjoy it. I had been to europe before and he hadn't, I made the itinerary and he followed along, we didn't have definate plans and just went with the flow. We learned we need to go back together ASAP. We learned that we really still like one another. Our nest may be empty but not our lives! That's a great trip!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Thyra

My next one...*knock on wood

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Annette

I'm not a seasoned European traveller (unless you count the armchair variety). I've only taken four trips to Europe and have only seen Britain, Ireland, Norway and Amsterdam. Like the last poster, Thyra, I most certainly intend my BEST trip to be a future one. <BR> <BR>But so far my best trip was the solo one I took on trains and buses throughout Britain and Ireland during the four weeks of April 1977. It was my best because my curiosity was finally satisfied: I was thrilled to see Britain and Ireland after years of reading British literature at school. I loved seeing the countryside landscape during Spring and was way off the beaten track most of the time. The lonely part was I know some of the people I meet thought I was nuts travellng alone, but on the other hand, the freedom was great!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Bob

My best trip to Europe was in May, 1970 going to Germany as a U.S. draftee instead of orders to Viet Nam. We have been back over 20 times since that first assignment, but no trip will ever beat that one. I got to sit out Viet Nam in Stuttgart with my wife and travel Europe for 1 and 1/2 years. No tour will ever beat that.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Beth

Art, <BR>My best trip was my first trip - a five week marathon through London, France (Paris, Normandy, Loire),Barcelona, Italy (Florence, Venice, Rome), Geneva and back to Paris. <BR> <BR>I knew from the time I started high school that France was a special place for me. I took four years of French, but, alas, was left home when the class took it's first trip to London/Paris. My mom couldn't afford it, so I promised myself I would get there someday. Well, someday was 19 years later! But, oh, I fell in love with France like I knew I would. I could go back every year and never tire of it. <BR> <BR>My next best trip is to London in two weeks! A theatre/shopping trip with a group of friends and coworkers. I'm counting the days.....

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:32 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

We are leaving on our 19th soon--this one to Rome and south Tuscany. None beats the one in 1999 when my lovely bride and I spent 8 weeks following the spring flowers from the south of Spain thru Provence, Veneto, Austria, Prague, and the Romantic road. It was meant to celebrate our 40th anniversary. It served to remind us of why we fell in love back in Junior High. It was special

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Deborah

I have led student tour groups to Europe four times, and last summer I took my first trip to Europe without a bus or teenagers to deal with. My adult daughter and I rented a car and drove through southern Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. It was the best! My favorite activity was climbing the 320 steps to the top of St. Peters and looking out over Rome. My second-favorite thing was taking a walk through San Marco plaza at 6:30 a.m. and watching the sun coming up. Nothing compares. <BR> <BR>Deborah

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Beth

While every trip is special for different reasons, my first trip is the most special. I had never been and went with the man I was dating (a more seasoned Europe traveler). I was excited but nervous for months leading up to it. After the first week, I took over the Thomas Cook train book and I was hooked. We did 8 countries in 4 weeks, all by train and without room reservations. After 4 weeks of being together 24/7, we decided if we could travel together joined at the hip, we could spend the rest of our lives together and we are still happily together (and travelling) 12 years later.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Betsy

Though been to Europe twice before, my best trip was my third. It had been 15 years since I'd traveled. Its one thing to travel in your teens and twenties, but to go back alone in your thirties led to self discovery. Every day I spent on that trip was filled with laughter, and the fun of being with new friends. Though I've been back since and always enjoy it, nothing beats that first trip back after so long.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Rex, we're waiting here.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Sue

Like Beth, I knew from early on that France was my destiny, so my best was the first (that's what they all say)--mainly because I got to stay a year and a half. Imagine setting off to France on the SS France (that's a boat--or ship, as my mother insisted) after working and saving for a year, with no ticket because the travel agent never sent me one (I thought they just wrote your name down), landing in Paris and looking for a job, working part-time, going to school, enduring 9 months of rain after a glorious summer, learning to type on the French keyboard so they would rent you a real French IBM typewriter instead of the Smith-Corona portable you were typing the six *perfect* copies needed in a legal office. Student trip to Innsbruck skiing at Christmas (unable to master the snowplow, sitting down was my only way to stop--end of my ski career), Greece at Easter, summer hitchhiking to Brussels and Amsterdam, training to Spain with my friend with the broken leg. All probably a waste of opportunity due to youth and inexperience (if I knew then...), but definitely unforgettable.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:36 AM
lisa

oh..definately my first trip to england! <BR> <BR>i got hooked when i read green darkness by anya seton..then devoured every book, fiction and non, about england that i could get my hands on. <BR> <BR>the most memorable moment was seeing the tower of london for the first time..and realizing that "i am actually here!!"..i'm sure my mouth was hanging open. <BR>i've been back many times since then and have added other countries to the list ..but england is still my favorite..i look forward to spending the summer over there this year.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:45 AM
sam

December 1998. Fell in love with an Irish barman at a pub in Germany. See him every four months and cry every trip home. <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:35 AM
irish

<BR>sam, I am glad I'm not alone... <BR>Scotland October 1999..fell in love with a restaurant owner. We've seen each other about once every four months amd e-mail and talk on the phone all the time. We can't decide if I should stay there or if should move to be with me. Hate having to make the decision and we are working to come to a resolution but I love the "getting to know you part" at each reunion! <BR>Keep these stories coming!