What was that train site? pass vs. tickets by route

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh. Left my job, forgot to copy some of my favorite sites I had saved on that computer. I had a site that was not RailSaver, but let me put in the route and select countries, stay time, and to select rail passes/passes and tickets/or tickets- and would give me detailed info and suggestions.

Anyone?
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM

either raileurope or eurail.

Or, go to the country specific websites.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM

http://seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurai...ide.htm#Should you buy a railpass or pay-as-you-go

As for the website you are thinking of, it had the rather big problem that it only compared full cost fares against railpasses rather than the discounted fares most people would book - and it wasn't very good with the supplements required for many of the faster train services.

You also need to factor in the certainty that on some routes flying will be a better option either in the form of travel time, cost or both
Old May 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know of any site that does that except Railsaver. Let us know which one you are talking about.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM

Beware, the only US-based sites I know of that claim to compare point to point versus railpasses seem to think there's ony one p-2-p fare between any two given points, namely the top-of-the-range fully-flexible one. "Oh look, p2p is more expensive, you'd better buy a railpass from us!"

They seem to ignore the fact that western European train fares now work like airlines, with varying prices.

For example, Paris to Amsterfdam varies between €35 and €130.

The cheap ones blow railpasses out of the water price-wise, if you pre-book on a no-refunds, no-changes basis.

ALWAYS check p2p direct with the operator, eg www.tgv-europe.com for France and international trains from Framnce, www.fsitaliane.it for Italy, www.bahn.de/en for Germany, international trains to or from germany, and the Amsterdam to Pargue/Copenhagen/Munich/Switzerland/Poland sleeper trains.