Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What video format do I buy in Europe to view in North America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Christine

I want to buy a video tape while in France but don't know what format to choose so I can use it in North America, Canada to be exact. Anybody know?

Old May 26th, 2001, 09:55 AM
John

The North American standard is called "NTSC" while the standard in Europe is called "PAL." There are commercial services on both sides of the water which will convert one to the other, but it's pricey.

Old May 26th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Alec

In France they use yet another system called Secam. It's incompatible with PAL or NTSC. If you are buying videos commonly bought by tourists, like sights of Paris or tour of a museum, they are often available in NTSC or PAL, as well as in Secam. If you are looking for a French film or music video, they are unlikely to be on sale in any format other than Secam (copyright has something to do with it). <BR>If you are buying tapes for use in your camcorder, buy them before you leave as blank tapes are very expensive in France (eg even humble 180 min VHS costs over US$4) and only normally on sale in PAL/Secam.

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Peter

Just adding to above comments - since you did not mentioned if you wondering about blank or pre-recorded video tapes, all above apply to buying pre-recorded tapes. Blank tapes are all same all over the world.

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Alec

Peter, I take your point. Yes, the quality and construction of the tape is the same. The only difference is that while NTSC machines record at the standard speed of 6.6 feet/min, PAL/SECOM machines record at 4.69 feet/min. So a US blank video rated at T120 will record for two hours in NTSC, but 2 and 3/4 hours in PAL/SECOM, which makes US tapes even better value!